VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I recently moved and I started a new job. We are getting ready to buy a house and I’m trying to make my credit picture look better on paper for the house financing. That being said, selling my bike would help my debt/income ratio especially since I’ve only been at my new job for a few months.

On one hand I love my Gunner and enjoy it a lot.

On the other hand, I’m trying to approach this as a small sacrifice to make things better for my family and I.

Adulting sucks. Lol. Anyone looking for a Gunner? If so, let me know and I’ll get you pics and the mod list.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sell someting else and pay off the bike ?

Ok ok
.. If you sell your vic, then your gonna regret it for the rest of your life .... Just rent a HD for 1 day and make up your mind .... Hahahah
Trust me, I know all about HD. I work as a Harley tech at a dealership. Customers are very confused when they see me riding a Vic. Lol

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Trust me, I know all about HD. I work as a Harley tech at a dealership. Customers are very confused when they see me riding a Vic. Lol
So what do you tell them. Hey I work on these all day, I want to ride on my off time. Lol.

Loans are primarily now credit score. Also your total monthly payments, excluding utilities, can't exceed 42% of your gross income. So if selling bike will get you enough paid down then probably way to go or finance longer, find better rate...to meet that threshold. Of course if you get to know loan officer a bit you can tell them about the extra cash, under somewhere around $600.00 mo you don't have to report. Just saying... HD tech probably has lots of side jobs, right? Good luck brother.

·
Super Moderator
26,504 Posts
With Vic prices being what they are does it make sense to sell it?

I would hate to take a loss on something I was just going to replace later and end up paying twice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I second what has been said above.
If you are considering EVER owning a similar motorcycle someday, do everything you can to hang on to your Gunner.
You'll never replace it for what you paid for it.
Look around at the price of the other soft tails today, none of which compares to your Victory.
The HD Softail Slim lists for $15,899.
Indian Chief Dark Horse is $17,499.
Don't sell it, Man.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I feel you I sold my XC last year to put my ole lady through school, still mourn the loss....

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Make sure you list it on CycleTrader....it's free.
BUT lots of spammers it's alot like Craigs List now.

Hey @crazy4ink
I've been where you are & sold stuff because I felt I needed to but in the long run it never made a difference.
Hind sight & experience has taught me a lot over the years.
Hold on to that Gunner.

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
My family and I recently moved and I started a new job. We are getting ready to buy a house and I'm trying to make my credit picture look better on paper for the house financing. That being said, selling my bike would help my debt/income ratio especially since I've only been at my new job for a few months.

On one hand I love my Gunner and enjoy it a lot.

On the other hand, I'm trying to approach this as a small sacrifice to make things better for my family and I.

Adulting sucks. Lol. Anyone looking for a Gunner? If so, let me know and I'll get you pics and the mod list.
If you haven't, you probably have, confirm with your bank/broker if ridding your liabilities of a small loan would improve your chances of mortgage approval? I'd look at lowering credit card limits and closing lines of credit before I started selling a scoot... especially since you want it and anything you've spent on aftermarket upgrades will be a wash.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BUT lots of spammers it's alot like Craigs List now.

Hey @crazy4ink
I've been where you are & sold stuff because I felt I needed to but in the long run it never made a difference.
Hind sight & experience has taught me a lot over the years.
Hold on to that Gunner.
I'm with you there and I want to keep the Gunner, but if closing one more line of credit (bike loan) is the difference in my monthly mortgage, big picture, it's worth it to me.

If you haven't, you probably have, confirm with your bank/broker if ridding your liabilities of a small loan would improve your chances of mortgage approval? I'd look at lowering credit card limits and closing lines of credit before I started selling a scoot... especially since you want it and anything you've spent on aftermarket upgrades will be a wash.
We have closed small lines of credit off and have the bigger ones paid down to half. Just wanting to look better on paper so that there are no problems. I realize that aftermarket add-ons would be a wash, but maybe through private sale they would factor in a little better.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm with you there and I want to keep the Gunner, but if closing one more line of credit (bike loan) is the difference in my monthly mortgage, big picture, it's worth it to me.

We have closed small lines of credit off and have the bigger ones paid down to half. Just wanting to look better on paper so that there are no problems. I realize that aftermarket add-ons would be a wash, but maybe through private sale they would factor in a little better.
Not trying to be a smart ass but typically a lender will mortgage (principal, interest, taxes, and insurance payments) up to 28% of your income. It should give you a ball park as to how much of a buffer you have.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not trying to be a smart ass but typically a lender will mortgage (principal, interest, taxes, and insurance payments) up to 28% of your income. It should give you a ball park as to how much of a buffer you have.
Ok, good to know. I wasn't aware of that number. That helps a lot. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
You really need to start listening to Dave Ramsey.
It'll get you pointed in the right direction so the home doesn't eat you alive.
When I bought my place I broke all the rules, and it took me ten years just to catch my breath. It was the three car garage with an attached 1300 sq ft rambler on slab that hooked me in!
You can download his podcast or watch him on youtube.
Selling the bike is what he'd push more than likely, and then saving up for a good down payment and keeping the note at 25% of your monthly income on a 15 year fixed. If you do it that way you'll be miles ahead of most folks in no time!
Follow the baby steps.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.