Thinking of getting a Victory Highball 2013 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Thinking of getting a Victory Highball 2013

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Veej, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Veej

Veej New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Honda Fury and VTX 1300C
    Hi guys,

Please allow me to introduce myself I'm a man of no wealth and nor taste, I've been around for 46 years, bought many bikes and put them to waste.... HA HA HA...

So this week-end I walked into my local motorcycle dealership and was floored by this beautiful 2013 HB with 15,000 KM (KM not Miles here in Canada), bike has after market pipes sounds nice and deep and quick release leather saddle bags. Dealer wants around $12 K for it but I offer my 2013 Honda Fury with 9,000 KM on it. Dealer put deal down that I can walk with the Vic after trading in my Fury plus $3500.

For those who are not familiar with Honda Fury its a 1300cc bike I got aftermarket Hard Krome pipes on it. It has the super realiable Honda VT engine and of coarse the Honda bullet proof reputation. I just did a 2000 KM trip on it last week like always no issues.

Now the Vic HB looks super sweet but I'm not really familiar with Vic bikes. So want ask a few questions here, and yes I know for honest opinions I should not be on this forum but hey here I am.

1) With Victory discontinues I do know Polarise has agreed to keep making parts for another 10 years from 2017 so till 2027, am I correct?

2) With this in mind is Vic bike a good thing to take on tour knowing that may dealers in the U.S and Canada my not have parts in stock all the time like Clutch cables and other things that can go wrong on a long tour through the US. One day I want to ride from Toronto to Florida to west coast all the up to Vancouver and back to Toronto. Would not have parts at dealers or even having less dealers than Honda dealers around pose an issue one day for this kind of trip?

3) One Polaris sales man said that many of the Victory bikes share parts with the Indian bikes so there should not be problems is that true does the HB share parts with any of the Indian bikes?

4) I have not test rode the HB the dealer made me put down $500 as a down payment subject full refund if I'm not happy with a test ride coming this Friday, the HB has 24 more HP and 28 lbs/ft torqe than the Fury but weights 67 lbs more.

5) I did a test drive of the Indian Dark Horse a few months back which had the 111 engine the HB has 106 and I was not impressed at all the thing rode like a bad horse, it had all stock parts of coarse

6) The HB at the dealer has aftermarket pipes how can I tell if the previous owner did any other stage mods like power commander, dont think the dealer know of anything else.

7) I work on my own bikes from oil changes, Tire changes, break pads, Leaking fork fixes, Honda is easy to work on and parts always available, how easy is it work on Victory's?

I have 2 bikes, right now a 2004 Honda VTX 1300C which I love for it's reliability and the Fury which has the exact same engine but is Fuel injected vs Carbureted. I love Honda's as you ride them hard with little maintenance and pampering need vs bikes like HD and that was a major reason to sticking to Honda again for my second bike. I've heard good things about the Victory, I really love their styling and would not mind having 2 different company bikes in my stable rather just Hondas.

So I'm posing these questions here hoping to get some honest feed back.

Thanks Guys!

2. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision 08
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    $9000 US is $11,700 CDN. Close enough to what the dealer is asking

Do the test ride. You’ll likely really want the HB afterward. Getting rid of the Fury for $3500 and getting a real bike in return is a bonus. The Fury is a toy in comparison. Aftermarket windscreen will be a good addition to look for. Google National Cycle,Inc for windscreen choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Redsawacs

Redsawacs Active Member

2013 Cross Country
    Ya can't put a price on owning the best bike in the world! The Vic is hands down the favorite in this whole conversation.

Easy to work on, tons of online support. Plenty of aftermarket parts and support. 9 years of support left...I ain't scared.

Vic has far more power than the Indian. Far better ride than the honda.

Little pricey but well worth owning.

GO FOR IT!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tyrfryr

tyrfryr Well-Known Member

Cross Roads Classic
    Welcome to the VOG.

1) So said, we will see.

2) I think I would ride it but, maybe guys like @NY mike, @jwfuchs1,or @PDXLaserGazer could chime in on long distance trips.

3) Don't think many Indian/Victory parts interchange, about the only things shared are Polaris and place of birth (Spirit Lake).

4) If you ride the HB, very good chance that the $500 is part of the trade-in deal, and you can look forward to some paperwork.

5) Dark Horse is not a HB.

7) Very serviceable.

I don't know the Fury, or it's worth, but same year bike with half the mileage +$3500 might be a bit high.

Good Luck, hope you like your HB.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. robsvision

robsvision Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour
    I just bought another Vic a 2015 Vision
    My son has been out a lot on my 2013 Cross Country Tour. 98,000 km
    I believe he is hooked on Vic also.

Victory will get in your blood and under your skin. I have owned many many bikes . Never kept for more than 2 or 3 years. Some like the one I traded for the Vision was less than a year old.

The Victory 106 with the correct pipe has an amazing sound.

Don’t abuse it and you should never need a dealer.

Can’t quite figure it out but a Victory makes you feel special and everything else just seems beneath you.

Victory electronics are extremely reliable.
    The engine is very long lived.
    Don’t abuse the transmission and it will last the life of the bike.

Good luck on your decision...

ps
    If you buy it....
    Learn to properly adjust and align the belt. Over tension is bad. Check it after a hot days ride.
    Then good luck trying to wear it out....

• Like Like x 2
  7. cyclonelou

cyclonelou Active Member

'16 Vegas
    If you like it and the price is right, go for it. You only live once.
    Being a used bike make sure it's in top shape.Going cross country? Just go. There are a lot of older makes, some no longer made, running all over the place.
    Parts? As I've said before-for a Harley you may have to make 2 calls and wait a few days and for a Vic make 4-5 calls and wait a week.
    Don't be led by scare mongering. Go down the road with a smile on your face.A Vic in good shape and cared for will give excellent service.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    Forget the dealer network, you have us. So many people here will help out whenever and wherever they can, USA and Canada. As far as what I've seen and read, the only Indian/Vic interchangeable parts are between the Victory Octane and the Scout, and it's mostly just things like passenger pegs and whatnot. Most of what you'll need will be available aftermarket, unless you have a catastrophic failure and even then, depending on what happened, you may find something that'll work.

I over-pack on my long-distance trips. Last year, 3.5 months and 20k miles around the US, I needed my tools once because I had a loose screw on my cheese wedge replacement and once to replace my kickstand (also needed them several times to work on my brother's HD Street Bob, but that's another story). Both issues were my fault, not the bike's. Oh and 5 oil changes in auto store parking lots. But I kept plugs, wires, OEM shift linkage, spare drain plug and crush washers and a backup clutch cable just in case. I brought along a jump pack and air compressor that never saw daylight. I have a few other spare parts I left at home that I could have shipped to me if necessary but they weren't.

If you get a chance to stop into one of the Gurus' places (The Vic Shop, LLoyds, etc), have some extra cash and get the thing on the dyno, maybe add cams and 1/4 turn throttle, fuel controller and/or underdrive pulley. A cruise control option or throttle lock and throttle boss might be good options for those long boring days like through Nebraska when you can almost take a nap and wake up at your destination.

All the other long distance stuff you probably already know: eye, ear, face/skin protection, rain gear, etc. Post your plans when you can, lots of guys here may be able to meet up with you, I would.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2017 Victory Cross Country
    Please allow me to introduce myself I'm a man of no wealth and nor taste, I've been around for 46 years, bought many bikes and put them to waste.... HA HA HA... Nice!

Now the Vic HB looks super sweet but I'm not really familiar with Vic bikes. So want ask a few questions here, and yes I know for honest opinions I should not be on this forum but hey here I am. Actually, after Polaris dumped Vic, you'll probably get the most honest opinions on the bikes here.

1) With Victory discontinues I do know Polarise has agreed to keep making parts for another 10 years from 2017 so till 2027, am I correct? We all hope this to be true but no one is holding their breath

2) With this in mind is Vic bike a good thing to take on tour knowing that may dealers in the U.S and Canada my not have parts in stock all the time like Clutch cables and other things that can go wrong on a long tour through the US. One day I want to ride from Toronto to Florida to west coast all the up to Vancouver and back to Toronto. Would not have parts at dealers or even having less dealers than Honda dealers around pose an issue one day for this kind of trip? I imagine the Fury to be difficult to tour on. The Highball (to me) would be more comfortable. Might need a new seat if it still has the stock seat on. With regular PM's, I'd have a few things on hand in case of emergency such as a spare clutch cable, belt, etc.

3) One Polaris sales man said that many of the Victory bikes share parts with the Indian bikes so there should not be problems is that true does the HB share parts with any of the Indian bikes? Not much as I understand it.

4) I have not test rode the HB the dealer made me put down $500 as a down payment subject full refund if I'm not happy with a test ride coming this Friday, the HB has 24 more HP and 28 lbs/ft torqe than the Fury but weights 67 lbs more. Here is where they get you. Ride one and you'll own one......

5) I did a test drive of the Indian Dark Horse a few months back which had the 111 engine the HB has 106 and I was not impressed at all the thing rode like a bad horse, it had all stock parts of coarse. The 111 is a dog compared to the Freedom 106

6) The HB at the dealer has aftermarket pipes how can I tell if the previous owner did any other stage mods like power commander, dont think the dealer know of anything else. Common mods are pipes, intake, timing wheel, and fuel controller. What kind of pipes? Some pipes require a fuel controller. If you have the stock airbox and something like the Victory stage 1 pipes, it's probably safe to assume is only has a stage 1 flash but take the seat off and look a fuel controller.

7) I work on my own bikes from oil changes, Tire changes, break pads, Leaking fork fixes, Honda is easy to work on and parts always available, how easy is it work on Victory's? Super easy

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    I’ve only been on my Vic for close to 2 yrs now. I have a Magnum with the 106 drivetrain. I have approx 29,000 miles on her now which 20g plus is cross country touring. Nothing but good from this drivetrain for touring exceptional power and response for whatever conditions. The only issue I can see you mite have to deal with is parts availability at a dealers while traveling and how much down time you mite encounter while waiting for a part while traveling. I carry tools oil can of fix a flat and emergency clutch repair kit from witchDoctors zip ties etc. 1 hiccup whole time I’ve had her a voltage regulator other then that tires and oil and I run her pretty hard no issues awesome drivetrain!

• Like Like x 1
  11. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

14 XC/07 KPT
    I went with my brother once to look at bikes and he wanted to test ride a Fury. I rode my 07 Kingpin tour to the dealership with him and test rode the Fury. I kinda liked it's style.. but I gotta tell you after riding the Fury I couldn't wait to get back on my Victory. I can also say I test rode a Highball once at a dealership. That thing is just so sh1tting FUN to ride it's stupid. The only real downside I experienced with it was the ground clearance for cornering. It made me WANT to lean and get aggressive but it just wouldn't let me really dig in to the corners like I wanted... hit hard parts too fast. I'm a little aggressive that way, had to replace the floor boards on my old Suzuki Boardwalk from grinding them off, so you may not experience that issue.

As for touring the 106 is a fantastic engine coupled with the 6 speed... 80 all day at an idle on the big roads. The addition of a windscreen of some type might be in order if you don't mind the aesthetics.

Reliability? Most of us make fun of the HD crowd and the issues they generally have compared to the Vics.. although if you DO have a problem it can be a bear to find a good place to get it fixed. Most vic owners don't ever experience any significant mechanical issue but it is a machine made by imperfect beings so it's not impossible that you could run into something odd. I have had several vics now over the years and I've had more than my fair share of issues over that time and I still have TWO of my own ( A 07 Kingpin and a 14 Cross Country) if that tells you anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. K1ll3m@LL

[email protected] Well-Known Member

2011 Victory Cross Country
    I'm sorry but they are not lubing you properly on that deal. If you don't mind the dry pounding then your getting a good deal but if you want it a little wet you need more.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Veej

Veej New Member

Honda Fury and VTX 1300C
    Hi guys, thanks for all your input, great to see their is a passionate following here, when you guys have a following soo passionate about a bike who needs dealers support when you got the Vic Brotherhood ! ;)

So regarding the pipes, I did a quick search and they look like Zoomies, not sure if the guy got the EFI Controller, I could probably call them and ask.

Also some mentioned here I'm paying too much for the bike, remember this is CDN dollar we are lower than US.

They want my Fury with after market pipes plus $3500 (which is around $2300 US) I paid $7800 for my Fury a few months back (including price of the Hard Krome exhaust I installed) so $7800 + $3500 = $11300 CDN which is US $8651.73.

Here's a few pics of the bike

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2017 Victory Cross Country
    Stock airbox with Hacker Zoomies. As mentioned, check under the seat for the fuel controller. Stock seat so touring might be a pain in the butt.... literally. Use an Airhawk or get a new seat.

I think the HB is a far superior bike to the Fury and you'll love it.

Oh and also when you do ride it, don't freak out over the loud clunk of the transmission, totally normal.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Veej

Veej New Member

Honda Fury and VTX 1300C
    How do you know it is the stock air box? I did not get to check under the tank.