VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The company is NCR. The bike is the Leggera 1200. They taketheDucati Hyper Motard and revamp it with high-end components and lighten it up a bunch.
It comes in 2 versions:
The Leggera 1200 which is 347 lbs dry ($80,000)
or
The Leggera 1200 Specialwhich is 295 lbs dry ($140,000)
110 rear wheel HP.... Yes, boys & girls, that's a power to weight ratio of 3:1
Article:
http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_roadtest/riding_impressions_articles/10q3/ncr_leggera_1200_special_-_riding_impression
Photos:
http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_roadtest/riding_impressions_articles/10q3/ncr_leggera_1200_special_-_riding_impression/gallery

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Nice thread revival! Of course those that know me know my interest in the subject matter. I wonder about this stuff often. How much weight could be shaved by custom building a frame of aluminum tubes of similar strength? What other kinds of composite materials could a frame be made of? How about carbon fiber body parts? I could have so much fun with a lot of money...

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice thread revival! Of course those that know me know my interest in the subject matter. I wonder about this stuff often. How much weight could be shaved by custom building a frame of aluminum tubes of similar strength? What other kinds of composite materials could a frame be made of? How about carbon fiber body parts? I could have so much fun with a lot of money...
Vegas rear fender, Hammer front fender.
The frame is light as it's gonna get, but the engine is HEAVY!!! You could take 12 lbs off the crank... but the engine would still be HEAVY!!! Drilling the front pulley could take a couple pounds off.
The Thor pipe weighs almost nothing. TTI is light. No weight to be lost in those departments.
These things and some drill bits... maybe another 25+ lbs to be lost?

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
<Weight = speed
I'd go to plastic or carbon fiber fenders, carbon fiber rims....

It WOULD be neat to see how light you could go.

How much does the engine weigh?
You have to have tires, brakes, seat, handlebars....

Carbon fiber muffler, maybe....

I was thinking about this today. The "big" BMW GS weighs less than a Scout (537 lbs) and packs more HP. (136).

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I know of two people who’ve lightened the crank, and I got to talk to both, Zach Ness and Gabe at The Vic Shop. Unlike Zach, Gabe was going to let me ride his bike, but it’s been disassembled for some time now. They both did a knife-edge grind that shaved off 12 lbs. and both described the result as “different”. The motor spins up to rpm very fast, but doesn’t have the low end grunt feel of the more substantial rotating mass. I’m very curious about it. I also thought about the front pulley when I bought the UD, damn this thing is heavy! I bet there is easily 2 more pounds to be shaved there. The thing with both of the above, is I only have the one bike now. If I buy a 350 dollar pulley and mess up on the drill press...ouch. I really want buckets of cash and a second bike just for experimentation.

I think in large part my interest in this come from my younger years when I used to bicycle like a madman. My friends and I would draft line a week long party ride across Iowa (called RAGBRAI) every year, I used to be the bike member of a triathlon team, a 60 mile round trip ride to a lake with a “beach” was summertime recreation. On a bike like this, ounces matter. Back when I was doing this my frame was then state of the art chrome-moly steel tubing. And aluminum tubing was just starting to show up. Had to be thicker walled to be equal strength, but was still lighter.

Just fun stuff to daydream about.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I think Scott at Conquest got his personal bike into the sub 600 lb club when he went to carbon fiber wheels. Maybe @PreachSF could verify that. I know when I swapped to the Stingray wheels, the difference was noticeable.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
I'm rocking a Shorai on the GSX. Great battery for that application. Don't know that I would trust it for the Vision though. I think that motor requires a deeper cycling battery. You never know until you try it though, it might be just fine.

Think I can lighten the Kingpin to 295 lbs? No. Hell to the no! :badgrin: BTW, That legerra 1200 is a nice hooligan bike. Not good for much else than fun, but there is nothing wrong with that!

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I thought Resurrection Day wasn't for a couple of weeks? LOL

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
on the latest version of Super Bee (05 Hammer that won the Hot Bike Challenge) it was under 550lbs and that one did have a set of the carbon fiber wheels

View attachment 542299
Jesus, man, that is a beautiful bike. I'm just curious because I honestly don't know - Now that we are a few years in since Victory was killed, are there still ample resources to do builds like this? I think this is excellent work. There should be more of these on the road. Maybe not supercharged, but I mean, why not! Even a nice big bore would do. JMO. Fantastic bike. I would ride this. I would take this over the inbound BMW R18. All day.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.