The whole story | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The whole story

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by BoilerMan, May 25, 2014.

1. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2020 Harley FLHCS 114.
    Die Hard Harley Man. Not bashing just sayin. WELL half the story anyway!!!!!

2. Creek_IP

Creek_IP Well-Known Member

Imperial Blue 2012 Cross Country
    How is him telling his story, the whole story? Wow, so a HD dealership put the mounts on so that somehow makes it all okay in his mind. I guess what irritates me about this whole thing is that they are trying to make it political. Trying to make it about the American flag. Well it ain't about the American flag, it's about an individual who mounted items to his machine that don't meet the manufacturers guidelines. Look, I don't have any idea if those flags led to his premature clutch failure or not. I do know that every non compliant modification I or anyone else does to their bike increases the chance of a warranty claim getting denied. As far as Dave Zien goes.... I really respect and appreciate his support of our veterans. I would love to be able to travel the country and help make everyone aware of the sacrifice our vets have made and continue to make every day. To help people understand that we have vets with serious needs going unmet. Needs that we contracted with them to take care of. His cause is very noble... And that my friends is the only reason he's getting all this free publicity.

3. SofaKingBlue

SofaKingBlue Member

'04 Touring Cruiser; '08 Jackpot

Good gravy - what a kool-aid drinker - I stopped the vid after the second "God bless Harley-Davidson".

4. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium

The big flag mounts I have seen seem to always say "parade use only." I bet that is for a reason.

5. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Yup, this is lame. Let's not make it about how much drag is created by flying 7 large flags at highway speeds and wether or not a clutch should be able to handle that. Let's make this about patriotism and what kind of bumper stickers people have who salute him or flip him off. Notice the interviewer has to define them as "patriotic" flags and the interviewees need to be pictured wrapping themselves up in the Stars and Stripes. Disrespectful IMO.

6. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Well-Known Member

2020 Harley FLHCS 114.

(The whole story) Well I should have said one half of the story?This web page would not let me post the Videowithout typeing something. Anyway I am not on this guys side, just thought this would make for good conversation. And I too consider this disrespectful, Useingthe American Flag and Patriotismashis defense, for modding his bike.Must be what happens when you drink too much Kool-Aid.

7. leem

leem Well-Known Member

2013 hammer 8 ball
    Well I have to agree, this issue isn't about patriotism, it is about warranty and modified products. I misunderstood the original issue, I thought the transmission had failed, not the clutch. Hell even with NO modifications clutches are near impossible to get warrantied, like brake pads they wear out if they are working properly. It never ceases to amaze me what people think ought to be warrantied. My younger sister wore out a clutch in her Nissan when she was learning to drive, one trip around the block with her driving and the mystery of why it wore out was solved. If he wants to ride around in his "flag ship" he needs to understand he will burn more fuel, and have some wear issues, nobody's fault just one of those pesky laws of physics we cannot bend.

8. NorCal

NorCal New Member

Removing the Patriotic theme of this issue, and while I think the H-D PR representative could have handled this much better, I'll side with the manufacturer on this. Here's a few examples in which I based my opionion on this matter:

We all know that motorcycles are not designed to tow trailers. We also know that many riders do the mods to add a trailer. I'll guess the reason why motorcycle manufacturers take this stand is that (as stated), motorcycles are not designed to pull (or brake) this additional mass, force and weight and that towing a trailer can over-stress certain parts of the bike's geometry and could cause mechanical and stress issues for the bike or worse, cause an accident. The only motorcycle-type manufacturer that I'm aware of that offers a "factory" trailer is Can-Am. And, that's not a true motorcyxle.

Look at the current recall/replacement of Victory's lock and ride backrest and while Victory has been fairly silent on what went wrong with the design, was the issue that the listed weight capacity of the luggage rack was too low or that obviously they know that most of us don't weigh our gear before attaching it to a rack and that the overloading could cause it to stress, break and possibly cause an accident? Quite possibly, (I'm guessing they don't manufacturer these parts and purchase them from vendors), they simply weren't tested when they arrived and just placed on the bikes or possibly, the specs given to the vendor were flawed. I'm sure they didn't perform this recall and wait half a year to provide a replacment, just to piss off their customer base.

How about the Victory Stage One exhausts that are billed for off road use only? While many riders use them to get more sound and power, does that disclaimer remove liability should something else goes wrong?

All the performance mods that can be purchased from the Dealer or various vendors can violate the warranty too. While I don't have the need to cam my bike, if I did, my common sense would tell me that if things wen't wrong down the road and another engine component was adversely affected, the rider could be out of luck with warranty coverage.

Back to the subject at hand, with the H-D/Flag issue, from what I'm to understand, the mounts are designed for parade use only. Whether it's a factor part or not, to me is not relevant. Not being an expert in wind management and how additional drag affects other parts of the bike, I'll guess that since the rider was using the mounts for a purpose for which it was not intended (riding at highway speeds) that H-D made the correct decision by denying the claim. H-D did state the warranty has not been voided, it was just that specific claim that was denied. While I applaud the rider for showing his Patriotism, I don't blame H-D for pointing out that the bike was not designed to handle that type of load.

I don't know what's going on at American motorcycle companies these days, but while they are making some of the best bikes ever, their PR/Marketing Departments seems to be continually making poor decisions and not handling things properly.