VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let's face it. Every motorcycle website in the world has some very strong debates and opinions on which brand of oil is the best for bikes.

As I've openly stated, I'm far from being an expert in this field. In fact, I don't even change my own oil. I leave that to the mechanics. When asked by the Dealers about what type of oil I prefer, I simply state, "the type that won't screw up the engine or mess up the warranty...and if it does, you'll stand behind to get it repaired!"

So, in search of the ultimate oil, I turned to one of my favorite foods...Fried Chicken. Yes, Fried Chicken! Since I've authored a few books in my day, and one of them was a semi-Cookbook, I tapped into my own expertise to see which "oil" makes the best Fried Chicken. Before I reveal my answer, here's a photo of one of my old books:

See, it's for real! I'm telling the truth! (That's me in the photo back when I had some hair...and it wasn't gray back then!). Yes, it's an old book, so don't worry, I'm not trying to sell anything here.

So, now back to the topic of this post.

What's the Ultimate Oil...for Fried Chicken?

Okay, it's not really Oil...It's shortening! And yes, it's not on the Surgeon General's top 10 list of healthy food items. But, how can you put a price on great Fried Chicken? If you've ever dined at The Loveless Cafe in Nashville, you'll know that there's a fine art in creating great Fried Chicken...and the Biscuits that are served with them!

Yes, Canada has Tim Hortons...Nashville has The Loveless Cafe. And yes, both Doughnuts and Fried Chicken are some of the most favored foods by Motorcycle Riders. So yes, there's a correlation here!

So how else does Crisco Fried Chicken relate to motorcycles? Well, when brought to the right temperature, yes, the Crisco will cause the Chicken to Pop and will generate some Smoke! And yes, the skillet, like exhaust pipes, can get hot to the touch.

So yes, in some strange way, Fried Chicken does have some similarity to motorcycles! They both require oil!

So, if you thought that I had the solution to the Ultimate Oil for Motorcycles, I don't. I was just attempting to have some fun with the subject!

After all, when was the last time a verbal fight broke out online about Great Fried Chicken?

And you thought that Kentucky had the best Fried Chicken. I guess we're in for a debate on this topic! So let's be civil with our opinions.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

I dont like KFC and here in Utah there is no other place to get frired chicken so I guess I am going to Andy's house for fried chicken.
Now I do fry my turkey's in Peanut oil not sure if that helps since we are on fried chicken.I guess I could fry my chicken inpeanut oil.
Anyone rember Churches fried chicken? Now that was good well not good enough they are not in business anymore.
Why am I talking friedchicken

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
randysfishing said:
Now I do fry my turkey's in Peanut oil not sure if that helps since we are on fried chicken.I guess I could fry my chicken inpeanut oil.
I'm not positive about this, but I think that Peanut Oil throw off more smoke and Popping than Crisco. Your mileage may vary.

And yes, for Fast Food Chicken (Loveless is Home Cooked, not Fast Food), Popeye's is on the short list. Don't forget the Dirty Rice!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Huli Huli Chicken from Hawaii. It's "broke da mouth" delicious. :)
Huli means "to flip", so the chicken is flippedoverthe fire. Usually Kiawe wood to give it that distinctive flavor. I usually can eat half a chicken in one sitting. Dang, I'm getting hungry.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
EH BRAH!!, da huli huli chicken taste ONO (good) but I tink andy was making sushi style chicken (raw-semi cooked) maybe his habachi (bar-b-que grill) stay all hamagange (broke-messed up) lol. Eh get any shoyu???

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
+1 on CRISCO!

Ya'll invited for Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy & Fried Okra(My ABSOLUTELY favorite comfort food) at my house anytime!

It HAS to be Crisco.

Not only do I ride, I have Okie Soul! AND am a gourmet cook.

Randy, for deep frying a turkey Peanut Oil the best! You got it dude.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
you didn't mention if it would void my warranty.
Can I go longer between oil changes?
Can I use the same brand of filter?

And will I get it all back except 1 teaspoon at oil changes?

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Candubrain said:
you didn't mention if it would void my warranty.

That's a tough question, but the use of Crisco should not adversely affect the equipment warranty.

However, prolonged use without the proper oil changing intervals could result in the need for an Oil Additive:

Can I go longer between oil changes?

That can vary. However, if you go too long, the experience could be less than desirable. Typically, you can do a "Run" of a few chickens before changing the Crisco. But, if you wait too long between changes, the user experience could be a bit crispy or burned.

Can I use the same brand of filter?

As always, the factory filter is recommended. But, there's some aftermarket filters that promise to provide additional protection.

And will I get it all back except 1 teaspoon at oil changes?

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
first of all I never realized you were 'that gadget guru'. I actually know who you are now!! LOL

As for chicken, national chains, I like the popeyes as well since they also have red beans and rice which is my one of my favorite foods.

I have Crisco in the house, but I've never used it. I have a deep fryer I bought since it's the BEST way to make french fries but I cannot stand the grease smell in the house after cooking with it. Even though I bought the fancy one with the filter that's supposed to help with the stink but didn't seem to do much.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not a national chain, but around here Pizza Ranch has excellent fried chicken and only good pizza. That is until desert time when their Cactus Bread pizza is wonderful.

Can I get an AMEN...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.