VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after months of waiting, the Spyder arrived a bit ahead of the promised date. While I'll have a number of reviews and initial impressions posted shortly, here's a look at the delivery that took place yesterday, Sunday January 17, 2010.

Yes, this dealer, Broward Motorsports is open seven days per week!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
P.S. You review Andy will be very interesting. Now that it's yours - you will look at it a little differently - a little more critical I think. We shall see - it ought to be interesting.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ammo said:
Sunday Delivery - I thought only Newspapers and Dominos Pizza did that anymore....
The buying experience was quite pleasant.

I have a superstition about buying bikes...I never ride it off the dealer's lot. Yes, it sounds crazy, but I prefer getting to know a new bike on familiar streets as opposed to on crowded areas. When I mentioned this to the Dealer, he said, No Problem, We'll Deliver. It just happened to turn out that Sunday worked out best for both of us for the delivery date. FYI, when I purchased the Vision, that Dealer did the same thing and delivered it to my home. But it wasn't a Sunday!

The Dealer I used, Broward Motorsports in West Palm Beach, is a mega-dealer with multiple locations. The folks there were quite excited to see the Spyder RT as it was the first one they had received and assembled. Yes, they had a Demo Day, but this was the first "customer" Spyder to hit their store.

As most of you already know, I've added iRyde.net to the mix here at The VOG and while the threads are combined based on activity on the front page of this site, those who just want to read about Victory can still do so by navigating to the Forums and going to the Victory Forum. The same is true for those who only want to read about Can-Am Spyders.

The reason I'm restating this is that I'll shortly be adding a few threads to the iRyde side of this site and I'll attempt to place the new posts in thread that are related to a specific topic to keep things organized and easy to locate. So, if you see an onslaught of new Spyder threads popping up, it's just me adding a few new topics to the mix.

Just so that nobody thinks that we're no longer featuring Victory Motorcycles, here's a video I posed in October:

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ddawg said:
P.S. You review Andy will be very interesting. Now that it's yours - you will look at it a little differently - a little more critical I think. We shall see - it ought to be interesting.
I think that's a very fair statement! There's a few bugs that I'll get around to addressing shortly.

I'll start off by stating that I feel like a sailor who's been landlocked for six months and just sailed away from port...I need to get my sea legs back!

Riding this is NOT like riding a motorcycle...it's a different beast and it takes some getting used to. I'm just approaching the 100 mile mark and I'm just starting to get the feel of the Spyder RT. Unlike a motorcycle, you don't lean the bike, but the rider still leans into the turns while turning the bars. I've learned that applying weight to the outside foot peg helps in the turns. FYI, Can-Am includes an instructional DVD with the Spyders that is excellent and demonstrates the riding technique for a trike with two wheels in the front. With some practice, this can be ridden aggressively.

As you know, I've been in contact with my buddy Fred Rau who has now logged more than 10K miles on a pre-production unit and he's been spot-on with his advice. One piece of advice was about the front shock absorber settings. The Spyder's front shocks have five settings and are preset to the middle setting and delivers a soft ride out of the box...too soft for my tastes and riding style. As Fred stated, the stock setting delivers a type of "wallowing" feel. He was correct. He advised to set the shocks up one or two notches to make the front end more firm.

Also, the RT-S (the model I have) has a console button that allows the rider to change the rear shock pressure on the fly. It was preset on the soft side and firming that up also makes a difference.

To adjust the front shock, you need to raise the front wheels off the ground an use the included cam wrench to make the change. When I tried it last night, I couldn't get it to budge. So, knowing my mechanical skills, instead of breaking something on Day One of Ownership, I decided it best to let the Dealer take care of it.

To make a long story short, there was something wrong with one of the shocks and they ordered a replacement for overnight shipment. We missed the order cutoff time by 15 minutes and they said they'd call when it arrived on Wednesday and replace it while I wait.

So, I'll reserve my initial riding opinions until the new shock is installed and most likely will make that its own thread.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
advntrus said:
Congrads on the Trike Andy. I'll be interested to hear what your impression of the bike is, after taking a day of 90 Degree turns through towns and back roads. Does the body of this thing "Lean" like a two-wheeler?
Shawn
No...and that's a very strange sensation. After 14 motorcycles, it's like learning to ride all over again. The rider leans, but the bike doesn't.

The best way I can explain it is that if you're riding slowly, very little rider leaning is required. Yes, you have to turn the bars, but just a slight inside lean is required. However, if you're taking a 360-degree exit ramp at a decent speed, the rider leans in a similar method of riding a motorcycle...but the trike does not lean at all. Very weird for someone who's used to two wheels. It seems that the higher the speed and the tighter the turn, a more aggressive rider lean is needed. I'm using muscles that I haven't used in a while and it may be time to call Olga, the Swedish Massage Therapist!

On the other side of the equation, U-Turns are no-brainers! That could come in very handy if I head to the Florida Keys with Clubford00, DSJR70, Phoenix09 and Bkfxr!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Congrats on the new rYde. See i can keep a secret LOL now just get that shock adjusted and some new riding gear ! You coming up my way this year?
That ride down to Florida is getting Oh so Old ! LOL Just kidding.
The bike (trike) looks great. Glad you can get some time in before the "Warm " weather sets in.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
You look so little on that thing LOL
Next time i see you you will be the Incredible hulk based on what you said about the workout you get when riding.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dsjr70 said:
Clubford00 said:
You look so little on that thing LOL
Next time i see you you will be the Incredible hulk based on what you said about the workout you get when riding.
You aint joking... That sled is huge!
This will give you a perspective on the size of this thing:

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Andy,
First The VOG, then iRyde, now finally URyde and in MarchWiiRyde.Weare nowa riding group and it's about time.
Congrats Andy ontakingdelivery of your new ride. Looking forward to your reviews and videos on your new ride, remember to put your feet down when you try to walk away. LOL
Did it come with snow tires or has it started to warm up.
Winter hasn't started here yet, and it's just about over, figure that one out. Enjoy, Ryde Safe: OT

·
Registered
189 Posts

Hi Andy
Congrats on the "Arachnitrike" LOL
I looked at them on the weekend at the Edmonton bike show and I was way impressed with the tour model that had a trailer rigged to it. Very nice and user friendly. I hope you enjoy many trouble free smiles.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.