The reason for the demise of motorcycle sales | Page 5 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The reason for the demise of motorcycle sales

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by 1stVictory, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Boardwalk
    How true as I ordered my first Harley from a catalog and waited two months, which was forever when you are 16 years old and managed (they thought I was buying a car) to approve a loan. Once the Bank realized it was for a Motorcycle the President of the Bank had to approve....

Two months later there were two in crates and I got my choice because the other buyer backed out. A midnight Blue or Purplish one, I stuck with the Midnight Blue and the memory's began.

Only two Harley Cruisers in my Town and with the straight pipes, not a fav of the local Gestapo. But the daughters liked it...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I love the memories I’ve made ....... looks like you have some good ones too !
    ED72DD4C-8562-4265-BFC4-1AD15FDDB088.jpeg Remember your first girls ?

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. CreepinDeth

CreepinDeth Member

Harley Breakout & Custom Pro Street chopper
    We're not even comparing Apples to Apples here talking US military income VS civilian.

I'm former military also, and I made only $250 take home every pay period as well in boot camp as an E1.
    99% of US Military needs are covered with housing, food, etc so for me, that $500 was pure liquid spending $$$

TODAY military personnel get VHA / BAQ housing allowances IIRC without even being married.
    We didn't get all that when I was Active, you had to be married

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Worthless post without the pic.:hat1:

e802455d40570f1fdfdfb99503d50b71.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Oh you are talking about if I got married, they would give me an extra 150 bucks month for off-base Housing. I never had my family living on base because I built a house before signing up. I mean the Bank owned the House. Try to make those payment not being married on the $400 a month. I went in as an E-3 (once out of boot) for pay purposes.

So, I have to disagree with “All expenses covered” as they clearly were not. You had to get on a list for base housing, but medical was covered for me and family once married. So the 99% is only if you lived on the Base would be housing alone. I don’t remember the military buying groceries for my family and the food would be for only me when on duty or deployed.

Now it was Carter’s Navy, and went without a pay check a couple times during the Budget debates. If you were single warrior with no obligations, yeah it would be perfect.

You are referring to “TODAY” and I was speaking of 40 years ago, as that was what the conversation was about... Thanks for making my point that “TODAY” youths money goes further than “YESTERDAY” , that @WHITE_VIC was claiming.

Oh on the Civilian side prior to enlisting: [email protected] hour or about $520.00 a month

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  6. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Don’t think that is a shovel and my short time riding a bike for work was one of these:
    2B1915DF-DD54-4F01-85BB-20D573BAD318.jpeg

E3EC8CE9-B4E2-4662-8A20-AA57CA7FE6D3.jpeg

First HD:

8F85DBF5-DEBA-4DA9-A0F6-FEDA59D27207.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  7. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    Time to sign up again! See what you're missing out now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    What if I am living with my Cocker Spaniard and claiming as a dependent as she identifies as my Significant Other...

I am not sure I would recognize it as the same military I was in, but all we had was the Cold War putting Nukes on everything.

But blessing to those that have stepped up and are currently serving and stay safe. You guys have done us proud...

• Like Like x 3
  9. Bernie58

Bernie58 New Member

Cruising everywhere and anytime I can.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. arkvic

arkvic Well-Known Member

2010 h.d. road king
    abernathy h.d. in union city tenn. is closing down. said it was because corporate is closing them because of owners statement on facebook." wasnt the progressive harley image that corporate wants to project. they were a victory dealer, now h.d. is gone. they will be selling only metrics and utv's, atv's. etc. etc.

11. arkvic

arkvic Well-Known Member

2010 h.d. road king
    also bumpas h.d. closed one of their stores in memphis. although, i believe it was a clothing and apparal store only. no bikes.

12. arkvic

arkvic Well-Known Member

2010 h.d. road king
    also, my local dealer h.d. of jonesboro only has 20 bikes on the showroom floor and has 1, 1 used bike, a 2019 freewheeler trike. times are tough at h.d.

13. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    I have read a few times now that most are not considering new Harley's any longer for various reasons, the biggest one mainly is cost. These bikes have been overpriced for many, many years now. Nothing as stupid as the cost of big V-Twins today, but it's been a while since Harley brought any real value to the table. Polaris indian is merely playing follow the leader with their predatory pricing, and now it's coming back to hurt them as well.

But let's stay focused on Harley for a moment. The used market is pretty darned good out there now. But would anyone really want a Twin Cam Harley? Now that the M8 has more or less established itself as the engine of choice if you are looking for a Harley-Davidson, why would anyone even want a Twin Cam engine?

"Twin Cams are not worth the money at any price"... Change my mind! As someone who really doesn't know, I think it would be interesting to get a little input from those who do. So tell me... Would you buy a Twin Cam Harley?

• Like Like x 2
  14. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Nope. I’ll wait for a new CVO to show up a few years later. All polished up and garage kept with all the right performance goodies and maybe even stereo upgrades for 1/2 of what a new one costs. That’s if I was wanting a Harley. Honestly..... I don’t want one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. pella cholla

pella cholla Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour
    Can't remember if this was posted

• Agree Agree x 1