The reason for the demise of motorcycle sales | Page 4 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The reason for the demise of motorcycle sales

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by 1stVictory, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    U kids better stop or I will turn this damn car around & no1 will get any ice cream. Lil bastards, always F’n up my fun times, ur mom wanted kids but I just wanted to nut

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Now, now didn’t your Mother teach you to respect your elders, a time honored tradition. That said, your ass will be 60 one day, if one is lucky and I know a few in their 7th decade that are awesome. These are in their 8th decade...
    Miracle of Advil.

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/70-year-old-bob-long-wins-620-mile-horse-race-in-mongolia/

70-year-old John Force wins 150th NHRA Funny Car race

Paul Newman: A Star Who Kept on Racing Until His 80s | Celebrities Racing - ŠKODA Motorsport

Your sweeping generations seem to be a tradition with you and a lesson usual learned earlier.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white

I think closing Victory was a quick decision made in haste. Otherwise the 2017 Victory line up and Accessory catalog wouldn't have been the best ever. Plus the 'Challenger' drivetrain was already promised to Victory dealers. Same as the Octane and was then taken for Indian.

Polaris copying H-D design cues: another quick decision made in haste and not well thought out.

The Challenger 'could' have been the Indian made for the Victory faithful if they hadn't been so stuck on H-D styling.

Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    I just couldn’t get my head around why they just didn’t fold Victory into the Indian family and really wouldn’t have surprised anyone. Then style one or two into a fashion of the rider position of the Victory, rebadging as Indian.

Sure would have looked a lot better and doubt many would have said anything if they leaked it out as a possibility, The Public Stock excuse was weak and irrelevant if that was the chosen path.

There would be no Victory's by name being built now and everyone wins...

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. CreepinDeth

CreepinDeth Member

Harley Breakout & Custom Pro Street chopper
    Who says it was the "Wrong" bike for everyone (besides you ...:D) ??

Some people either
    A. Buy a bike to learn on, and / or after X years they upgrade (Me with my Yamaha R6 after only 2 years)
    B. Buy a bike, and realize no one to ride with and no time to ride, or life changes (baby), or can't pay and / or repo.
    C. Buy a bike, and simply decide they have commitment issues with that style and trade out.
    D. Well off, and don't care so keep changing like they change their vehicles
    E. 2020 COVID lockouts forcing asset losses

To assume everyone just buys the "Wrong" motorcycle is a jaded subjective viewpoint.
    Not everyone is a "1 and Done" type of owner ,and owner to owner tastes and income level vary IMMENSELY
    They can't all be "Boxed" into a single viewpoint.

I've owned 7 motorcycles in 17 years.
    Yamaha R6 (2 years), Suzuki Hayabusa (11 years), Yamaha Enduro / off road, (5 years)
    HD Dyna Wide Glide (10 years) , 2010 Pro-Street Chopper (5 years), 2016 HD CVO Breakout (2 years), and 2015 Magnum (new 2020).

My 16 CVO Breakout is 2 years with me and NOW I'm probably selling it this summer only because the Victory Magnum is the next level and makes my 1800cc CVO Breakout feel.......small. LoL It's still a bitchin bike, but I'm just not jivin without the stereo now.

It will still blow the Magnum out of the water in acceleration and twisties, transmission is waaaay better on HD, but I already have a Pro-street huge ass custom chopper. I'm just entering the older guy phase of getting the bagger, and now not wanting to be without all the extras I suppose.

NOT EVERYONE is doing well during this COVID lockdown.Those that aren't, are losing their assets....just like 2008-2010 the Motorcycle dealers I knew were getting trailer LOADS of repo bikes, and couldn't even sell them. Literally fields of repo'd boats, RV's and Motorcycles no one could sell. We're not there yet, obviously as some dealers are still killing it in used sales (Like my cousin) however alot of inventory on the USED side comes from people who overfinanced and couldn't pay or let it go, or lost their income

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Slick, I found this interesting so I did a sort of "audit" on the ride home yesterday and tried to count how many bikes I saw on the way and what type they were.

3 BMW GS bikes
    2 BMW K bikes
    3 sport bikes - 1 Gixxer, 1 R1 and another I could not identify
    1 vintage bike, I think it was an old BSA, very cool!
    1 metric cruiser
    3 Harley Davidsons, 2 Roadglides and 1 Heritage??

All in all a pretty mixed bag. The BMW contingent is pretty strong out here. Sport bikes used to rule, but now I am seeing more ADV bikes. But when it comes to cruisers and baggers, Harley still dominates. Having said that, I am starting to see more Polaris Indians out there as well. Mostly Chieftains, even though none were spotted yesterday. I attribute that to our local dealer, Spirit Motorcycles of San Jose as being a strong dealership.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blackened

Blackened Well-Known Member

2013 Vegas 8-ball
    I never laughed at Harley and wish them no financial ill will. I wish they would stop making bikes that were ridiculously expensive yes needed costly upgrades to get the bike where it should actually be. I think they had a good run where they could pull that off but people wised up to it and now with a flooded used market they are flailing to keep up.

As mentioned by others there is no need to buy a NEW Harley when you can get a used one for pennies on the dollar. Especially when there are well kept 4 year old bikes out there with 3K on them and they don't sell due to the aforementioned flooding. Guys want 18K and list 10K in upgrades but they don't sell. So after a too long period of time they start lowering the price and eventually give up on selling it or give up and sell it for way less than they spent. That's not every case but I know a couple of guys that got their well cared for/low mileage Harley's used for less than 1/2 of MSRP.

I'm sure it's different everywhere you go but I see a lot more sport bikes here than I did a few years back and it's mostly younger riders on them. I don't think the old school baggers or choppers are considered cool by the younger generation. Crotch rockets are (typically) faster and more nimble than their larger bretheren. Younger guys with little extra cash don't wan't to dump 20K on a new bike when they can dump half that and get something superior in terms of speed and handling which quite frankly is what most young guys are looking for.

I have sport and cruiser bikes and love both, but the upcoming riders aren't really into cruisers it seems. My kid loves to ride with me and I take him out on the Vic from time to time. He has such a good time riding it but he always wants to get on the back of that VFR. It looks fast and sleek so that is what he is drawn towards. I won't let him on it because I don't feel comfortable with him having no backrest but he's always asking about it.

8. WHITE_VIC

WHITE_VIC Well-Known Member

Victory cross country
    Why would I leave when 9mm is just as effective as 45 auto. Why don't you use a real a round, The 10mm

9. WHITE_VIC

Victory cross country
    No, I was taught to respect people with knowledge. Just because you're old, doesn't mean your smart, your just older. Same with older people driving. You should get better with age, but I notice that doesn't happen. This doesn't mean that I won't hold open or do something for an older person. More than likely I won't make it to that age since advil doesn't help

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. WHITE_VIC

Victory cross country
    Very true, the younger generations money doesn't go as far either, unlike the boomer generation when they were younger. There's a good chance their in a tougher spot right now because of covid, especially if they job was deemed unessential

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Oh did you upgrade? 10 mm would be a Hell of improvement for ya...

64A0E851-40CA-4CC4-867E-100742DE3F43.jpeg

6A9813EF-AFCC-4108-9C0B-AA68AC15055A.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  12. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Lordy who told you that, as I lived paycheck to paycheck getting less than $400 a month, serving my Country. Hell we qualified for food stamps, but forbid you getting caught taking them. Lets see getting $400 a month is equal to $1900.00 today and we had a 9.1% inflation rate and had to buy gas based on the tag number, odd and even..

Naw the good old days weren’t, but I was riding a 73 Shovelhead...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    No one had money when I was growing up. These kids today are going everywhere. They have the best cell phones. They drive cars and they dress to the nines. Give me a break. There just not interested in the bill bad a$$ biker thing like we were. They like tech and air conditioning. They like their hair looking good. Their clothes nice. It’s a different world and mommy and daddy are paying but not for a motorcycle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Yeah, I don’t think so...

Here is a photo of my portable smart phone:
    C04F6C73-02A7-4969-B5E1-CC48E392D373.jpeg .

Water resistant model
    4A69C218-8D12-44DA-BFC7-2429C8BC93A6.jpeg

Complete line owned by one monopoly
    F695C774-FA38-4991-85B9-828BEC0B6D57.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    A different world today. Consider all the bikes out there pre owned that’s available ! It’s a different world today. Back in the 70’s and 80’s we could barely find Harleys used let alone new. A new HD bike ? You placed your order and you waited or you rode a Honda. The availability of anything today is at your finger tips. Make it hard to get and see how many will seek it. Old saying ........ “Want to make something popular? Then take it away”

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2