The reason for the demise of motorcycle sales | Page 12 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The reason for the demise of motorcycle sales

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by 1stVictory, Aug 31, 2020.

1. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    A good good YouTube about HD, i learned something

• Like Like x 3
  2. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    He’s a character but explains things well. Entertaining to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Good short ish thought provoking clip, they make good, useful & well written content

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Deltaflash

Deltaflash Well-Known Member

Vision, Vrod, Vstrom
    This guy is about as good as they get. I have watched many of his clips.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. zingpow

zingpow Active Member

2003 victory kingpin
    1v...unbelievable...i found this thread long ago before i was a member here...i too had noticed the trend and had brought the subject up many times among the folks i know that ride, at the time it was all sportbike riders...the consensus was two fold, prices and millennials, and not always in that order...i found this thread before i owned the victory just googling "what happened to motorcycle sales"...that's it...i didn't put it into the vog's search engine this morning, i just ran into it looking around in here...

dealerships used to have two rows of sport bikes, now many of them don't have one bike, forget a row of anything...lots of those side by side gotta buy a trailer to haul it some where like a boat things...they're not motorcycle dealerships that also sell water bugs and snowmobiles, they're "powersports emporiums" and bikes just are not a priority anymore for the reasons you listed...

so i'll say this...a honda cbr1000rr in 2004 was $10,900, the 2021 is $16,500 and the sp is $28,500...2021 yamaha r1 is $17,400...and the r1m is $28,000 and some change...guess i can't blame some of the younger generation for not getting into sport bikes but used cruisers are dirt cheap EVERYWHERE...i'm not a yamaha cruiser fan (lousy suspension) but there is a 2006 roadstar (1700cc not fuel injected until 2008) with 26k or 28k with ultimate seats on it for $2500 and it's nice (no it's not mine) on cl right now with plenty of company...

v1,,,to your original point, i didn't own a bike until i was in my late 40"s and now i have two and am looking for a 3rd and wish to hell i lived somewhere i could ride every day of the year...maybe the younguns will get their heads out of the video games and into life soon...my 7 year old grandson is on his second bike, yeah it's grandpa...zing of the road...

• Like Like x 2
  6. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Funny how a short time ago we all complained about MC pricing and the fact that younger riders are just not interested in what we ride or our lifestyle. Fast forward to today and as zing pow mentioned the show room floors are empty. Not because of sales. Prices are higher than ever and trade ins are worth more. Atleast in the auto world. I always said ….. if you want to make something popular ….. take it away.

The new bikes sales I’m seeing around me is higher end and mostly touring. The buyers are middle aged and somewhat successful either in business or inheritance. The crazy money spent on a Harley Davidson lately from 2 friends I ride with ( both well over $30k ) has me wondering just how good these new HD’s are. Of course their answer to the question why Is …“ This is my last bike “

Sure they’re nice and shiny and new and they are way better than they ever have been. Then there’s the little things that bug me. Cheap audio, lousy handle bars, lousy seat, crap exhaust and performance. Sure I get that these are all subjective items that some would just leave alone and ride the dam $30,000 bike but then there’s those that can’t. They have to make it theres and that’s the fun of it all. Then there’s the CVO lineup ?

Shouldn’t all this be part of a check list and you order the bike with those upgrades you checked off ? Why pay over $40k then remove hard parts ????
    Example: 14” bars or 17” bars. Pipe choices and tune options. Real High powered sound systems ( not Chinese junk ). Seat choices and windshield height based on the individual rider.
    Why would I spend $45,000 to $50,000 on a Harley Davidson CVO and remove these parts to hang on my garage wall then proceed to purchase the better ( for me ) parts to enjoy the bike. If HD simply treated the CVO buyer to a check list for their bike and delivered it with those items on it then more average Joe’s may line up to the table. Less junk on the wall or in the trash and a bike you feel you didn’t Fk’d over on too much. Still I won’t spend even $30k on a motorcycle ever. Not when there’s so many good ones out there for a fraction of that cost. Some just gotta have it yet I see all too often the remorse and the old saying. “ what was I thinking !!!! “

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    @slickvic ...spot on... first of all I LOVE all motorcycles...that being said, with #23 and 24 in my possession and both VICTORIES, I've looked at HD every time I was ready for a new bike, never bought used till this CCT. First was, only a couple models felt comfortable, THEN when saw what it would take, ON TOP OF POSTED PRICE, to make it road comfy and run better, well let's say I started out with NO wrinkles...left with many, only wife could cure. I did have a 1989 Sportster, good for chicks, but not comfortable for any ride over 40 miles, sold after a month...it was stock, only motorcycle I didn't do anything to.

OK, serious side, I totaled my 2014 CC 8-BALL...at 10mph, and was looking at a new Gold Wing. When wife got involved, she made the statement "why would you not get another VICTORY, you bragged so much about what we had". She was right, "YES HONEY" was my response. I started looking, others should do just for info. VICTORIES are keeping their value, after 2 months looking, I finally found a 2016 CCT with low mileage and great price...6954 miles for $10,000. I drove 750 miles to get it 2 days after seeing. I did see one, a 2014 CC 8-BALL, that caught my eye at $7900...with 216,000 miles on it!!

AND another bonus, even though VICTORIES run great stock, it only takes under $2000 to get them...what I call PERFECT...to really run GREAT:icon_thumleft: (I've beaten a V-ROD with almost $4000 in motor, boy was he pissed:hihi:)

I added a few "personal" comforts...and still under $4000, again both bikes. Looking back, I figure between my 2016 CCT and 2016 VEGAS, YES motor work done and a few add-ons for both...I have about $24,000 in TWO bikes, way less than the HD Heritage I was looking at and after add-ons was going to be around $28,000. AND, my 2014 CC 8-BALL had 72,000 HARD miles on it, ONLY having to put tires on and VICTORY OIL changes. Still had spark plugs in that KevinX put in when motor work done at 1000 miles! :headbang:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. zingpow

zingpow Active Member

2003 victory kingpin
    trading in is not an option for most but used "by owner" prices would make a crusty used car manager blush...book plus $2K everywhere on sport bikes...most dealerships don't even have a used inventory save the one year old auction repos...zing of the wild frontier...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    I love all motorcycles too. I’m a huge fan of HD and Indian heritage. Japanese heritage. Man they built some great bike back in the day. I love all kinds of bikes. Truth is if I had a lot of money then I would buy a new HD and a new Indian. A Vrod. A new Honda GWT and a lot of old Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki in-line 4’s. Hell yeah I’d have BMW and anything else that I like. Rocket 3 !!! Ducati and even Triumph classics !So many great bikes.

Fact is I don’t have a lot of money so I don’t get to play that game. Das o Kay ….. I’m happy riding Victory. Besides if I had all those bikes I’d probably still spend most of my riding time on a VIC. My bikes are too comfortable, handle great, and haul enough ass for me. They still look great and I get tons of compliments on them. ( just a good feeling when others like your bike) Then there’s those that don’t. Das o K too. Doesn’t make a hill sh!t of beans to me what anyone that doesn’t like Victory thinks. Ride man just ride !

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. zingpow

zingpow Active Member

2003 victory kingpin
    svk...and there isn't a pole barn big enough...i'll see your vrod and raise an rc51 and zx12r...but yeah, my daily rider is the v92c...zp...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Motorbikerx

Motorbikerx Well-Known Member

2010 XC 2006 KINGPIN
    Victory is the sport bike riders cruiser!....with a few tasteful mods!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. arkvic

arkvic Well-Known Member

2010 h.d. road king
    ya buy a harley its assumed ya have to spend 2 to 3 k dollars to get it to perform and ride right. the bars and seats are the worst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. arkvic

arkvic Well-Known Member

2010 h.d. road king
    aint happened in fifty years!!!! aint that right bujiboy!?????

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021 at 5:21 PM
  14. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    See your rc51 and raise you a Munch Mammoth and a Benelli Sei.
    Ride fast and take chances!

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Like the Royalstar with the de-tuned V-Max engine.

• Useful Useful x 1