The reason for the demise of motorcycle sales | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The reason for the demise of motorcycle sales

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by 1stVictory, Aug 31, 2020.

1. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    This is why motorcycle sales are dying. Instead of riding motorcycles and feeling some freedom that only they can give, 20, 30, 40 yr olds are riding these toys for 15 cents a minute and loving it. Leave them wherever. No, you can’t go on any trips with them, but that’s not an issue for them. M/C prices will have to drop drastically to keep the business alive or we may be the last generation to enjoy them.

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 8.24.39 PM.png

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    A half price Challenger sounds good to me!

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Is that a new version of a two up scooter...

4. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Active Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    The Honda Super Cub is the worlds best selling motorcycle, over 100 million sold.
    It's main transportation in many countries. Not that I would own one! LOL
    2000000001.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Oooww, single saddle and all... I have Rode rode a few in the early years

6. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Active Member

2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    Motorcycles were meant to b cheaper transportation & built as such in the early days but we live n a country of excess & merely “cheap or basic anything” ain’t good enuff for most us. We always expect more n more as a society which costs something whether it’s monitory or sweat equity & sadly most just aren’t able/willing to pay.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. Kurbs

Kurbs theVOG.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

2012 Victory Kingpin
    We live in a generation where kids wear helmets to go down a park slide and parents wrapping them in bubble wrap and blankets to drive them to the store.

Kids are raised to fear bikes these days. And the ones that aren't can't afford a big bike.

Our generation is the final frontier for classic cruisers and big baggers.

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT
    The rise of Millennials and their lack of interest and of funds to purchase is 90% of what has caused this downturn. It probably can't be saved and will change the face of motorcycling in a few years. Harley CVO's? They're gone. Bikes are going to have to drop down to 10-15 thousand tops or it's going to be a sad story.

• Agree Agree x 11
  9. RT Thor

RT Thor Active Member

2014 XC, 2007 Hammer S
    As with many of you I ride a lot, roughly 4500 miles month. As ride my bike back and forth between Texas (house and work Maryland, VA) for work. Normally will work two weeks present and two weeks remote. I see a ton of 20-35 year olds riding. Almost all on some used 90s sportster, Honda and a few more are Jumping on the cheaper older Vics too. Not dissimilar to how this whole motorcyle craze started back in the late 40s and 50s. Kids buying cheap bikes.

I have 5 Vics 14 Cc, 13 Judge, 07 Hammer S, 04 V92 TC and an 03 V92c. The two V92s I might have 4k in both together. And they are the only ones that are in the rotation for Texas to Mid-Atlantic. I can truly appreciate buying on the cheap and just enjoying the rawness if the experience.

So I think motorcycling is in good shape, it is the motorcycle industry that is hurting. And that is mainly due to venue grow to keep investors, invested.

Here is the Gasser that has made the trip between Texas and VA twice and I'm 52 years old.

20200711_141412.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 6
  10. Ampdreamer

Ampdreamer Well-Known Member

2004 victory vegas
    I do think it is about the younger generation rather be on the computer and that they seem to be more scared of everything these days. Some parents today just coddle them to long to much. I know many people that are even scared to drive a car let alone a motorcycle. It's crazy. The world is upside down. Idk. As for expense, there are always used bike for a good deal. I don't know if I'd ever buy a new bike. A used bike doesn't get worn or gritty as much as a used car does.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    These kids today are driving cars and trucks that cost way more than anything I ever owned when I was young. They choose not to ride motorcycles for more than cost reasons. I seen the same when I was growing up. Not everyone rode but today it seems our generation caught on and do. Maybe these youngsters will do the same. I think the industry counted on us to pass the torch and in some ways we failed. My son rides. He doesn’t share the passion like I do because he has responsibility to his young family like I did and I get that.
    Seems the guys that are well off financially go for the CVO bikes so yeah keep building them. Less expensive bikes usually mean less bike all around. That’s not gonna get these young riders on them. There’s plenty of choices from all manufacturers. We didn’t have as many choices as they have today. Indian wasn’t even available so let’s stop blaming Lack of a proper model for these new riders. If they want what we got then there’s plenty affordable garage queens.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. mister-g

mister-g Well-Known Member

2014 vision tour
    our local HD dealer had the western massachusetts area practically all to themselves, great location , always seemed busy, at least on the service dept side and they just posted this,,, [​IMG]maybe they just see the writing on the wall. i'm sure our Indian dealer right up the road is happy,,, for now anyway :smile_popcorn:

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    Longley Harley-Davidson in Peterborough, Ontario is closing on Hallowe'en. Message sent to me by my friend who is their customer. Said they were a great dealership but the Company and the dealership came to terms.

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 12.48.42 PM.png

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    This could be HD reaching out to dealers and wanting to downsize. Idk. Business isn’t good for anyone right now unless you sell on Amazon. My time is over for buying new motorcycles. I’m still having a damn good time playing with the ones I have. Modifying them admiring them and mostly riding them. To me the victory cross bikes are a tough act to follow. Let’s hope Indian bring something back that resembles our bikes and not resembles a Harley Davidson.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Maverick99

Maverick99 Member

2013 Victory Cross Country
    I was at the local Indian dealer last week picking up a flasher relay for my XC and the service guy told me the Challenger is the #1 selling bike in the country right now. He said they have been selling bikes like crazy the past 3 months.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1