The Official Politics and Religion Thread | Page 6092 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The Official Politics and Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Andy, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Kingpin
    GDP dropped 33% in the second quarter. Biggest drop in US history. So much winning!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OdentonVision

OdentonVision Active Member

2010 Honda Stateline, 2011 Vision, 2014 Valkyrie
    Couldn’t agree more. While we are all guilty of confirmation bias (the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one’s existing beliefs or theories) to some degree, the amount that goes on in this thread is off the hook. With you as one major exception, very few on here are able/willing to call out those on their “own side” when it’s warranted. Apparently you must absolutely hate DJT and EVERYTHING he does/says or love him and turn a blind eye toward his MAJOR shortcomings - there cannot be any middle ground.

I applaud you for trying over and over to reach some sort of middle ground/agreement with others in here.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I understand the point you’re trying to make. It’s not that I disagree with your premise on confirmation bias, I don’t. But you’ve either missed, or intentionally left out a bunch of information rendering your conclusion inaccurate. Myself and many of the left leaning members have REPEATEDLY stated we don’t support riots, we don’t support violence, looting, etc. and yet no matter how many times we unequivocally state we are against it...we still get accused of being for lawlessness, in favor of riots, violence and so on. Myself when pressed by Known1 to acknowledge something done right by Trump, I gave him a much better example than his own example. But I shouldn’t have to. None of us get judged “on balance”, we all get judged on wether or not we screw up. Charles Manson doesn’t get to say, “yeah but there ways that one time I helped an old lady across a street and another time I rescued a puppy that was drowning in a lake so everything balances out I should be free to go”. If I screw up, I lose my job. No do-overs, no credit for all the days I didn’t screw up. If the president screws up, he should face the same consequence.

This isn’t about bias and balance, this is about honesty. Truth is Donald Trump has F’ed up, many many times. That he signed a good bill or nominated a good judge or secretary doesn’t change that. If you’re honest and acknowledge the screw ups, then he has to go. If you’re dishonest, you claim he hasn’t done anything wrong. That’s not bias, that’s just a lack of integrity.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. satxron

satxron Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    The Dow, 30 American Companies, Dropped over 2,000 points in Feb and another 1,000 in mid March. That was reaction to the European markets. It has averaged 2-3,000 down ever since. The interesting part of the GDP is tax revenues coming in. We have to remember that Govt. debt is factored into GDP. The Trillions spent on stimulus add to the GDP. So.. wow! revenue has to be in the tank for this quarters report. 2.8 Trillion in deficit spending and 26 trillion in debt.

Just wait til the banks start taking houses and duplexes back for non-payment because the owner didn't get rent revenue for months.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

14 XC/07 KPT
    It won't impact those in power.. they'll just do like baby Bush did and give a massive untraceable handout to the 'too big to fail' banks so they can go on retreat and give out 7 figure bonus's to the top execs. Yah, thousands, if not millions will lose their houses, but hey, the republicans will do what they always do.. take care of the rich and take a piss on the poor while laughing at the morons that keep electing them to do it. This time maybe the White House will send out armed federal troops to do the repossessions.. can't have unruly terrorists trying to hold onto their homes, it sets a bad precedent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. satxron

2006 Kingpin
    Maybe the subsidy plan should have made a landlord attachment for rent payments. People that may not go back to work may move so they are sticking the landlord even though they are getting the 600 buck subsidy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    What I find remarkable is that the government handed out a couple trillion dollars in “free” money AND the GDP still lost that much. Imagine how much worse without the handouts!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. satxron

2006 Kingpin
    Exactly, both parties have learned that they can manipulate the economy numbers via the FED keeping rates low when in fact they need to go up. But if rates went up the folks would flock to money markets and CDs rather than the market so they keep us in the market. The markets pay off because of that manipulation. This keeps people in debt because of the inversion between inflation and the FED controlled interest rate. They can't make money in the bank and don't have enough money to invest. Those with a 401 or a very good income win, the other half treads water.

Then they play the GDP game. The more the government spends the more money gets tacked onto the GDP. Our GDP is Trillions higher than it should be because it reflects government debt. Government spending should not include 400 billion a year just to pay the the interest on the debt.

This shell game is very fragile and can't handle bumps well. COVID is an example.

Both parties now understand this. They get voted in by making sure 1/2 the country is making money and the other half has access to cheap debt. But that individual debt the lower half has in credit cards, car payments etc. is what will erode the nation. The wealth keeps going to the top and the national government debt keeps setting records.

There is a tipping point here, we just don't know when. Our grandchildren will unfortunately know when.

Where did the Tea Party go? Like Dodo birds they are gone. They learned responsible fiscal policy is the right thing to do but they may not get elected on it. They learned that getting elected today is more important than our kids futures. 400 Billion a year to pay the interest on the debt. 56% to GDP was debt in 2000, 130% to GDP is now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Agree completely, but I was talking about all the consumer spending that resulted from 600 dollar unemployment bumps and 1200 dollar checks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Bujee1

Bujee1 Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country, and 2016 Cross Country Tour
    If only this country’s actions matched its words.

If all lives mattered equally, we would not have disparities in access to health, safety, and education. And there certainly would not be people actively trying to deny that these things exist, but working to eliminate them.

We would not have members of the privileged many telling members of the less privileged minority to “go back where they came from.”

When you say all lives matter, I say walk your talk.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. normthenomad

normthenomad Active Member

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    I agree that HC can be deft. And obviously you are not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. normthenomad

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    You're comparing McVeigh killing 168 men women and children to BLM doing some relatively minor property damage?
    Well, he was a right wing extremist so maybe in your world that works.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

2014 cross country tour
    Yes, I'm very aware of that, but why are the BLM activist that are blinding cops with Lazor lights, poking them with sharpened PVC pipes, shooting cops with pellet guns, shooting mortars into a police station not being prosecuted with prison time because of the violence that they have caused?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MoRider

MoRider Well-Known Member

2015 Road Glide Special

• Like Like x 2
  15. normthenomad

You're trying to justify your comparison with deflection and obfuscation. GFY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.