VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
Frankly I don't really see the need to put these bikes against each other at all. They keep trying to call the FTR a sport bike. It's not. It's a naked standard flat track race replica. It's sporty for sure, but it is not a sport bike. So there is that.

To me the Monster is just a very different kind of bike. To try and compare them doesn't really make sense.

• Angry
Reactions: bikendad

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Frankly I don't really see the need to put these bikes against each other at all. They keep trying to call the FTR a sport bike. It's not. It's a naked standard flat track race replica. It's sporty for sure, but it is not a sport bike. So there is that.

To me the Monster is just a very different kind of bike. To try and compare them doesn't really make sense.
Makes perfect sense to me. The Monster is arguably the bike that created the naked-standard class, it's not a sport bike either. The Triumph Speed Triple being the other. If I was going to spend 15 large on a light weight sporty bike with a more comfortable seating position than a true sport bike these two absolutely deserve comparison. But then I also think the choice is clear. I'm taking the more horsepower and better suspension over a replica every time.

·
6,677 Posts
I guess that is kinda what I mean. I can't compare the Monster to the FTR because there is no comparison. The ducati is going to kick it's ass in every respect. I'm not being mean or anything; the FTR just isn't that kind of bike. It provides a singular and unique experience. I'll take the Ducati all day long.

Reactions: iabob

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me. The Monster is arguably the bike that created the naked-standard class, it's not a sport bike either. The Triumph Speed Triple being the other. If I was going to spend 15 large on a light weight sporty bike with a more comfortable seating position than a true sport bike these two absolutely deserve comparison. But then I also think the choice is clear. I'm taking the more horsepower and better suspension over a replica every time.
I like that this guy is a Victory Rider....

As we were saying in the FTR thread, there are several motorcycles in the 'sport-standard' or 'vintage-standard' category that are cheaper and more potent than this new Indian. Even in the same price range, there are bikes that offer a lot more.

No matter what 'package' you add to the FTR or competing bikes, it's going to be tough to get 500-mile-a-day comfort out of bikes in this class. That level of comfort is very important to me. I will cease to enjoy myself when my ass starts hurting....

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I like that this guy is a Victory Rider....

As we were saying in the FTR thread, there are several motorcycles in the 'sport-standard' or 'vintage-standard' category that are cheaper and more potent than this new Indian. Even in the same price range, there are bikes that offer a lot more.

No matter what 'package' you add to the FTR or competing bikes, it's going to be tough to get 500-mile-a-day comfort out of bikes in this class. That level of comfort is very important to me. I will cease to enjoy myself when my ass starts hurting....
I hadn't paid close enough attention to the FTR to know about these accessory packages. So just WTF is Polaris thinking? "Hey for 20 grand you can have an FTR with spoke wheels and dual sport tires just like a real adventure bike!" Um...or I could just get a real Adventure bike with money left over for gear...those are good for 500 mile days.

·
Super Moderator
26,504 Posts
If I had to choose between these two I would go with a Vision.

The FTR is not going to be fun long term for me and I can't afford the maintenance on a Ducati.

• Winner
Reactions: notaharley

·
6,677 Posts
If I had to choose between these two I would go with a Vision.

The FTR is not going to be fun long term for me and I can't afford the maintenance on a Ducati.
That has been the knock on Ducati for a very long time. With all of their development and so on, you would think they would address that at some point. But it still persists. I have thought hard about making some changes to the lineup to get a Multi into the stable, but the cost of ownership keeps driving me away.

Reactions: crosscountryla

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Once again the Indian is over-priced IMHO. I'm seeing the same thing with Indian vs Harley, when you're priced over a Harley you have problems. But back to this bike, I pick the Ducati every-time other than it should have an advantage of less maintenance. The performance per dollar ratio is just off here. I predict they will sell a bunch at the start but it will die off quickly once that initial excitement dies off unless they can bring the price down and the performance up.

·
6,677 Posts
@bikendad Yep, could well be. It will be interesting to see what the initial reaction to this bike is when the Moto Journos get their hands on the FTR and start putting them through their paces. I want to see how they feel about these strange tires they decided to put on there.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Bikes like these are swell, but after the swelling goes down and you have to live with the bike day to day, will you still love it?

This is why I haven't bought myself a second bike. I will ride the new bike a lot at first, but after a couple of months I'll take the Kingpin out and remember how comfortable it is, how glorious the engine is, and how nice it is to carry stuff... Then I'll be looking at the new bike thinking, "Why did I buy that?".

I'd love to ride the FTR for a couple of weeks... the Monster too... but I don't want to OWN them.

·
6,677 Posts
Bikes like these are swell, but after the swelling goes down and you have to live with the bike day to day, will you still love it?
I would hope so! Of course you never know. Sometimes you think it's a good idea to do something or it is driven by impulse or momentary passion, and then later on remorse can set in. So far this has not happened to me.

This is why I haven't bought myself a second bike. I will ride the new bike a lot at first, but after a couple of months I'll take the Kingpin out and remember how comfortable it is, how glorious the engine is, and how nice it is to carry stuff... Then I'll be looking at the new bike thinking, "Why did I buy that?".
I have thoroughly enjoyed all of my bikes. None get abused and none get neglected. I love them all and I ride them all. I love being able to choose which one gets ridden on any given day. Ultimately I feel like I will have to trim the stable down to just 2, and that will be when the GSX goes toe up. But it may never go toe up! This thing has the heart of a Lion. But if it comes down to it, I will most likely make the tough choice and retire the GSX unless something unexpected happens.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,504 Posts

·
6,677 Posts
That is impressive as hell. I don't think I could do it. I sure would not want to beat my Vision like that! Respect to the man for using the machine to it's fullest.

·
6,677 Posts
Reactions: notaharley

·
Registered
7,202 Posts

I'd love to ride the FTR for a couple of weeks... the Monster too... but I don't want to OWN them.
Exactly how I feel about my XC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.