The most rewarding ride I've ever been on. | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The most rewarding ride I've ever been on.

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Nepper, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Nepper

Nepper OT-CAN

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Yamaha/Suzuki/VictoryVision
    Camp Quality ride for kids with cancer.
    The local Gold Wing club "Sudbury Wings" has an annual event where they ride out to a local summer camp that is run for one week every summerfor kids who are fighting cancer. Upon arriving at the camp the bikers take the kids (years 8 to 18) for rides on their bikes. We're asked to provide a helmet and glasses for our passengers and you must have a backrest on your bike.
    The kids go wild when they hear us coming down the highway. Before Iparticipated I was told what to expect but honestly nothing could prepare you for the utter joy these kids getfrom just climbing onto a motorcycle to roar down the road and wave to all the other kids they spend the week at camp with.
    From talking withsome of the camp volenteers it sounds like they have different events scheduled for each day of the week but the kids look forward most to the biker's arrival.
    Whenwe arrivedwe circled the main parking area and the kids all run to the bike they want to ride first.Let me tell you, the Vision was a pretty popular bike. "Wow, cool, what's that, can I go first" ?"I really like your bike, will you really take me for a ride"?
    Camp Quality came over and asked if they could have their "official picture for the ride" with one of thedirectors and one of the kids on the Vision. Well who amI to say no.Actually I did feela bit strange as I was an invited guest from a different club "Freedom Riders" and I wasn't riding a Gold Wing and they wanted their picture to be of them on a Victory, but nobody seemed to mind.
    We took kids on rides from about 6:30 pm until about 9:30 when it started getting dark.
    I have to tell you folks, if you have the opportunity to participate in something simmilar, don't pass it up. It's the most rewarding ride I've ever participated in.

2. phoenix9

phoenix9 Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Roads Classic Limited Edition #001
    That is one of the best posts I have seen and I have never heard of such a thing but I think its great. I'm guessing that all the kids have to have some kind of waiver signed?

I couldn't imagine how much that would affect you to see all those kids and know that you are making them so happy. Y'all should be proud!

I did a Honda Ride for kids with my son back in Chicago last year (its HUGE) and as you can imagine out of the 10K+ bikes the vast majority were Hondas and Harleys but the Vision got more pictures taken of it that day than even the custom choppers.

3. Chas_K

Chas_K Member

08 Vision,,, Miss my Vegas :(
    Best post I have seen in a long time. Great thing for the kids.

4. bubba

bubba Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    Very nice post! Thanks for sharing

5. ammo

ammo Member

Thanks for sharing such a great event with us.

6. OneThumb

OneThumb OT-CAN

Thanks, Dan for posting.
    OT

7. vicldyffemt

vicldyffemt New Member

2005 Victory Vegas

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!! Sounds like you had an awesome time!
    It never ceases to amaze me how little effort it takes to make a child happy.
    Tracy

8. bored76

bored76 Well-Known Member

2010 Vic XR
    Great story. Glad you and the children had fun. It's always great to give your time to worthy causes.

9. Clubford00

Clubford00 Active Member

16 Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Children are the future for sure. I'm sure they all had a great time. I'll bet you're looking forward to the next one. I sure would be. Is really gratifying knowing you brought some joy into a child's life.
    I'm going to try to find out if they have rides like that around here.
    thanks for the story !

10. SmattaHead

SmattaHead New Member

2006 KP

Excellent!

11. Andy

Andy Administrator Staff Member Moderator

1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    That had to be a rewarding experience for you and a thrill for the kids.

Nice Work!

12. kden

kden Member

I'm going to look and see if they do anything similar around here. I lost my dad to cancer when I was 12 so anytime I can do anything related to cancer i'm in. Thank you for posting. Must feel great to see the kids so happy like that. =)
    -Matt

13. Rocketman

Rocketman New Member

2008 Vision

There is a simmilar ride in Edmonton for Camp HEHOHA Health Hope & Happieness.
    Every summer,I attended a couple of years ago. It was the most enlightening and yet heart wrenching day I have ever had on a bike. I will go again next time work schedule allows.
    It runs along the same lines as the ride NEPPER took part in. All I can say is by the end of the day, when you have ridden with a bunch of kid that are in the position they are in, with the positve attitudes that they have, you are in a different frame of mind about life in general.
    To take part was an honor, and the smiles were so rewarding.

14. BellesAZ

BellesAZ New Member

Awww... I had my teary eyed moment for the day. Thanks for that :) I'm sure the kids could have cared less if it was a Victory or a Gold Wing.. it's a motorcycle to them and you are a caring person.. nothing else matters. Good job and thanks for sharing.