The Indian FTR 1200 Is Coming | Page 7 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The Indian FTR 1200 Is Coming

Discussion in 'FTR 1200' started by FoFo, Jun 16, 2018.

1. sdranger

sdranger Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Vegas
    I was thinking the Octane motor myself, I guess we will see soon enough (for me not for others). But I wouldn't rule out a complete new V-Twin because there are rumors that Indian is going to water-cooled motors, starting obviously with the Scout but then a Dyna level bike and finally the Chief line. I know the TS111 is EPA and California CARB approved through 2020 so we shall see. I also know Victory did have a replacement for the Freedom motor ready too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Active Member

2013 Victory Cross Country
    Well the Scout is already water cooled and regarding a "dyna" or mid-weight line, if they follow the HD method it would have the same engine as the bigger touring bikes. I do feel Indian needs a mid-size bike to fill the gap between the Scout and the big bikes. I know they list the Chief as a cruiser but it is the same exact chassis as the Chieftain/Road Master and based on OEM website specs its only 20lbs lighter than my Cross Country (765 dry vs 745 dry). The new soft tail line with optional cruise control on all models, better luggage capacity, longer/more stable wheel base, and smooth torque from a big twin makes for a great upgrade to the Scout for my g/f in terms of doing longer trips. The girth and weight of my bike and the big Indians is a bit much for her 5'5" and 145lbs frame. Even though that soft tail isn't much lighter, its lower and narrower.

Now rumor has it that there was a larger displacement water cooled engine developed by Victory to replace the 106. A new middle weight line would be a good way to introduce that into the Indian crowd before making the swap on the touring chassis bikes. Polaris should also have the advantage that the Indian customer base probably isn't as die-hard set on how the bikes should be like HD has to deal with.

Of course with all of that being said, I don't see an FTR1200 being a good basis for any of that. 1200cc is a bit small for a V-Twin engine that could eventually replace the 111TS in big heavy touring bikes, it just won't deliver the same low end torque curve that makes big twins so good for touring. I think the chassis would also be too small to make a good mid-size bike between the Scout and Big Indians. It also doesn't make much sense financially to offer 3 different engines when 2 will do, its just more expensive that way. Unless it is a Swiss-Auto based engine to homologate a 1000cc FTR in AFT and maybe replace the current Scout motor (which is an awesome motor and shouldn't need replacing this soon). I would bet its going to be the Octane version of the motor or a further hot-rodded version of it. I think they'll keep the current Scout chassis too unless they have plans to do more with a tube chassis, think Adventure bikes and Sport bikes. Having a chassis for just 1 line isn't cost effective, so I just don't see it being a unique chassis just for the FTR1200.

3. FoFo

FoFo Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Roads
    And there's always the option where Polaris doesn't do anything and jacks it up again. I have to say, I'm curious to see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. sdranger

sdranger Active Member

Victory Vegas
    I don't think that will happen. Yeah, it will probably be scorned by some just because it didn't look or perform like the proto-type (like the Octane) but I think they realize there are world wide eyes on target now that the name is Indian. Just look at the Scout one of the hottest selling bikes around but an ugly version of the Octane (IMO) not that it's bad looking to me the Octane looked hotter, eyes of the beholder I guess. But if everyone looked deep down inside and Victory started as Indian IMO Polaris would be one of the worlds hottest motorcycle companies, yes a name means that much in todays world.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jwfuchs1

jwfuchs1 Well-Known Member

Cross Country
    When they released the octane they missed it big time with how they were advertising the dang thing. The power was not there nor the looks. They just threw it together so they could recover some costs from it before they shut the door. Granted it was a fun bike to ride but I was way to big for it.

I hope they knock it out of the park with this model. I also hope that they eventually release a bike that makes feel the way I do about my 2 XCs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I still see more Vics than Indians. Saw a Vic today. Matter of fact I've never seen a Scout in the wild but I've seen several Octane.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. sdranger

sdranger Active Member

Victory Vegas
    Lots of Indians around here and actually lots of Victorys but Indian is growing big... but we are only 130mi from the factory.

8. sdranger

sdranger Active Member

Victory Vegas
    Here is some more scuttle-butt on the FTR1200: It's on Instagram from Leah Tokelove (she is a UK hooligan racer) and she was invited to Wheels & Waves event with a VIP pass from Indian: Supposedly she has seen it and is responding to questions...
    " leahtokelove37: Don't worry, it's not going to disappoint.. It's not dumbed down and still has the best parts of the Custom and it's gonna be fassttt!

leahtokelove37: You've got a lot to be excited about after what you've just said.. it's not a cruiser with flat track styling at all, it's special!

leahtokelove37: Okay so it's loosely based around the Scouts 1133cc engine, but with some tweaks! But Indian have got a lot more to say come the launch;)"

Also rumored is that Brian Smith is actually running the frame and heads on his FTR. Most are doubting the heads but believe the frame as his is the only frame like it with the wrecking crew or any other FTR in the field. As for the heads the rumor started because his is the only black heads, plus his exhaust is totally different from the rest. yes I know the exhaust doesn't come out of the heads. Just points of difference from the rest. During the last race in NY the commenters did say he was running closer to future factory stuff...

9. FoFo

FoFo Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Roads
    Does it look the same?
    unnamed.jpg

Hahaha, we knew it!

Polaris, you're a joke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Active Member

2013 Victory Cross Country
    That isn't the FTR 1200, it is a Scout Sixty done up by J&P Cycles for a giveaway

Street Hooligan Indian Scout Sixty giveaway

That said, the RSD and Krazy Horse Hooligan bikes are more along the lines of what I'm expecting from Indian over the trellis frame concept bike. We'll see though.

11. FoFo

FoFo Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Roads
    Oh man, I thought that was the production model. Which looked exactly like a rebadged scout. That seemed normal to me with Polaris at the helm.

Ok, I'll keep waiting for the unveil.

12. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    I was right there with ya! My first thought was "Here we go again!" And I am still not convinced that won't happen. This is POLANUS we are talking about. But like you, I will wait for the unveil. Not that there is any chance in Hell I am going to buy one. After all, this is POLANUS we are talking about...

13. FoFo

FoFo Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Roads
    1 million % agree. I can see the conversation in the boardroom....

Victory engineer: we are ready to roll out the 1200 water cooled putting out 104hp at the crank.
    Polaris: oh great, lets hold off on the victory, we're going to use it in an Indian.
    Victory: won't that screw the Victory owners? We have been telling them about it.
    Polaris: who cares about them, we can make more money with Indian - our consultants told us so.
    Indian: why don't we figure out how to produce a flat track equivalent. I bet we can get a bunch of new folks interested in Indian.
    Polaris: that sounds like a lot money. Take the original Octane which we made into a Scout and just put the FTR's colors on it and call it the new FTR 1200.
    Indian: but won't that seem like we are trying to fool our base?
    Polaris: who cares about them. We need to make money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    I know, that is the way I see things playing out too. Anyone who has any experience with these clowns can agree. Q2 earnings came in for them and the Motorcycle division is down. Of course they blame the weak market, tariffs and Victory for it! :badgrin: But somehow the Offroad products are doing well. I don't understand why people keep buying this crap, but whatever. And of course, don't forget the Pontoon boats! What a joke. Again, whatever...

The sad part is, we still need Polanus to survive for now to keep our stuff alive. It would be so nice to be able to cut that cord someday. Because I still see them exiting the Motorcycle market at some point. Just a matter of when.

15. FoFo

FoFo Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Roads
    I second that! Polaris is actually a good investment firm because they are a $4b company. But they are not and will not be a motorcycle company. They're decisions are always based on greatest return. Then when they don't show the level of returns they want, they cut the cord. Which is what they will do with Indian. And the pontoon.

• Agree Agree x 2