The "EGLI VICTORY 100" officially sanctioned international all singing, all dancing build thread :) | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The "EGLI VICTORY 100" officially sanctioned international all singing, all dancing build thread :)

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by agusta74, Jun 10, 2021.

1. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Italian
    Hiya boys, girls and your various pets, greetings from New Zealand! :)

I am new here, but REALLY OLD to motorcycles and projects.... I have had bikes since 1983. Mostly Italian ones. At one stage I was up to 19 motorcycles (owned well over 80 over the years) but these days I am down to a far more manageable fleet of six of the best.

I have over the years (I am in my 50's) done various motorcycle, boat, car and bicycle projects, so bottom line, I am not naive to the work involved and I know what I am getting myself in for! Both in time and money.
    I have done a small amount of classic bike racing on an old fun slow MV Agusta.... got on the podium and promptly retired from racing. (yes, there were ONLY three left in my class on the last race of the weekend!!!) upload_2021-6-10_20-17-8.gif

I am more of a workshop project guy than a high mileage biker these days. I have a very well fitted out workshop and I can make anything. I am also an obsessive details man. I am not a "parts changer" sort of man more of a "parts modifier and parts maker" sort of person.

I will start rambling on about my ideas and hopefully I will get even better ideas and tricks from the crowd. upload_2021-6-10_20-17-8.gif

For the past few months I have been planning to build a bike. The ideas have evolved. Different engines and frame ideas until I have settled on building a cafe racer, Egli framed bike powered by a 100ci/1634cc, chain driven SOHC, 50 degree, V twin, wet sump, 5 speed, fuel injected, USA built Victory engine. They are a good engine that with a little tinkering can give a good 100hp and huge torque. A big bonus they have mounts on the heads as they were designed to be a stressed frame member. I will convert it from belt to chain final drive. I will also fit two front heads so I get both exhausts at the front and separate throttle bodies.

I will scratch build the frame. 4 inch round main backbone. Twin shock frame. Looking at 19 inch wheels front and back to get the scale right for the large engine.... single 300 or 320mm disc front brake (Brembo or Lockheed) and Kawasaki based TLS 180mm drum rear. "Normal" front forks, I have a nice set of mid 1970's Yamaha forks at 34mm that might work.... but I would prefer larger diameter forks...one option is the forks and triple clamps from a BMW K100.... just around 41mm diameter legs and 27.5 degrees and 101mm trail. I was looking at around 27 degrees rake and about 100mm of trail, for the "on rails" feel on an old 900SS Ducati bevel drive... around a 57 inch wheelbase.

The look will be old school, lots of chrome, stainless and polished aluminium, no fairing, spoked wheels with flanged aluminium rims. "Banana" style Egli tank and single seat and long reach to the clip on bars like a SFC750 Laverda or 900SS Bevel.

All I have done so far is planning and researched A LOT and bought a tail light. upload_2021-6-10_20-19-12.gif I have a good complete 2009 5 speed 100 engine (with all it's bits to make it start and run) lined up and I waiting on more information before I throw a deposit on it and set about selling various unused body parts and prized things to pay for it.

I am always low on money to buy parts and I do almost everything on the project myself so this is going to be a long process..... So let the madness commence! :)

Regards
    Gavin
    New Zealand.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    OK first job.... to answer the question, "What the hell does this crazy Kiwi mean by an Egli frame"
    Good question, glad you asked.
    Fritz Egli is a Swiss motorcycle racer who liked the Vincent 1000 engine and in the late 1960's he set about making a new frame for his race bike.
    It had a 4 inch round back bone frame with the engine attached to it as a stressed member. I was a racing success and he went on to build around 100 frames for Vincents. When cheap Vincent engines dried up, he did frames for many other makes.
    I don't see myself getting an Egli Vincent anytime soon, or the "modern" replicas that are built in France with new Vincent engines.
    So after lots of thinking I came to the Victory engine has some things in common to the Vincent which make it a good "fit" for the project..... both are 50 degree V. Both are designed to be a stressed member of the frame..... here are some Egli Vincent frames (they have an oil tank in the main tube I will not need to do. egli_frame_58_1.jpg ev 6887269.jpg ev genuine egli presentation31.jpg ev img_6315.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    So that's the frame..... these are pictures of original Egli built machine... not replicas..... ev oD2-492-03-06.jpg ev vin slaterss - Copy.jpg ev real 11173252.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    That is a beautiful frame

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    I want to do a slightly updated version and I value my life so I am going to fit a really good single disc front end. Not aiming for high top speed, but for the impression of speed & drama at normal speeds & grunt for back road tight twisty roads. Minium plastic, maximum polished aluminium & chrome.
    No fairing so you get a sense of speed from the wind etc etc. This one best shows the general look I want to aim for.... it's a French built Egli. ev 05-34-ooidonk-02.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Will the engine even fit? I hear no one asking?? Well... I have the dimensions of both and as I am going to scratch build the frame it does not really matter but the Victory is about 1 inch longer. About 1.6 inches taller from the crank center to the top of the rockers, with the wet sump the Victory is 2.3 inches deeper from the crank center to the bottom of the engine. So yes it will "fit" but the frame will be bigger than the Vincent version, so I all scale up some other bits to make it look "balanced" like fitting 19 inch wheels front and back. And more subtle things like bringing the gas tank down over the engine a bit....

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. K1ll3m@LL

[email protected] Well-Known Member

2011 Victory Cross Country
    Hell yeah, I am super excited to see the build during the process. Hope it all goes well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    Could you get your hands on that awsome tank ?

Screenshot_2021-06-10-17-37-44-03.jpg

9. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    I will make one from scratch like the Egli "banana tank" to suit the new frame and engines physical size.... either in fibre glass or carbon fibre (painted). Maybe coming down over the top of the engine a little more than the Egli one to keep the engine to tank scale more correct looking. I will top the tank with an early "Victory" gas cap! By the way I want to buy an early Victory gas cap..... :)
    like this one... vic gas cap 023.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  10. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    The Victory 100" 5 speed because you have a line on one or are you choosing that over the Victory 106" 6 speed? I'm excited to read what you have planned. All the best to you sir and thank you for allowing us to join in by watching your progress. You'll be cheered on from around the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    Yes, 5 speed by choice. It's going to a more sporting style of ride so I don't want an overdrive gear. Better to have 5 speeds and not have to change down twice to get to fourth.... so that left 92 or 100 5 speeds..... i would have used either a post 2004ish 92 but this '09 100/5 from a Vegas has come up and it will do the trick. I also needed a narrow tyre bike engine as i don't want the longer output shaft.

I know that the '07 is the preferred year for the 100, but Victory bikes are not common in NZ so getting an '07 engine is a long shot and I think with some of the mods I am planning it will end up out preforming an '07. Compression for one, and a decent computer open loop with zero emissions rubbish choking the engine, Lloydz timing gear.... and maybe cam if I think I need them after the build... I expect I wont need them. Aim for weight is under 200kg ready to roll but with no gas in the tank. 200kg is about 440 pounds. So it should shift ass!

• Like Like x 2
  12. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    I am still waiting for photos and more details on the donor 100 engine! Was going to be yesterday but I guess the chap is busy... in the mean time I "think" I might have found a good set of forks to use..... BMW K100RS forks and triple clamp and axle. Just deciding if I should pull the pin and buy the forks before I even get the engine. The forks are around 41mm and they take Brembo 08 calipers as standard, but I have a new new set of AP Lockheed calipers somewhere in a box that I would make a adapter plate to fit on the BMW forks. Might even go to twin discs as it would be so easy. The rake of the BMW is 27.5 an the trail 101 with an 18 inch wheel... so if I go for a 19 inch wheel then I might have to set the head angle half a degree different to keep the trail around the 100mm 4 inch range. Good solid front end with aftermarket springs and RACE TECH emulators are available for them to make them really good. Aluminum triple clamps that I could reshape and polish also... Might have to make a new top clamp as I don't want the handle bar mounting holes.... a couple of days on the old milling machine would knock that out. :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  13. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    If you can find an old set of forks from a Moto Guzzi EV (1997-2012) or Bassa (1999-2000) they may quite work well. They’re 45mm, used two Brembo calipers, have easily adjustable compression in one fork and rebound in the other as well as a drain hole on the bottom and a fill hole on the top.

The EV and the Bassa wheels are tubeless and spoked as well. On the later EV they were chromed instead of brushed aluminum. Though they were not 19” at either end.

Slightly off topic: I’ve always wanted to see what a talented builder would come up with if they started with the Moto Guzzi V-twin engine and drivetrain.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Check cognimoto.com front forks, They use GSXR front forks , (with dual discs), and adapt them to anything. Not cheap but interesting. Thinking about setting up a Judge with a dual disc inverted fork.

• Like Like x 2
  15. agusta74

agusta74 Member

Italian
    I am still researching.... I have worked out what need to buy in before I can start the frame build.....

Victory 100 motor.
    BMW K100 forks, triple clamps & axle.
    Rim WM3 19 inch 36 spoke for disc.
    Rim WM4 18 inch 40 spoke for drum.
    Spokes for both wheels. (8g 3.263mm)
    Kawasaki brake plate.
    100/90-19 front tyre.
    120/90-18 rear tyre.
    Steel for jig, steel for frame.

I have decided in a 1974 350 Yamaha front hub and a 1978 Kawasaki KZ400 rear drum brake hub that I have here.. also I was going to do both wheels in 19 inch, but I could only get rear rubber in 100 wide, so I will use an 18 in the rear with a WM4 rim so I can use a 120/90-18 tyre.
    So I am fine tuning the plan..... :)

• Like Like x 2