VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a woman rider, I've often wondered about the difference in our male counterparts out on the road. Do we all ride for the same reasons or are there subtle nuances and differences between the sexes?
For me, it's the freedom of the open road.. unencumbered by a cage, feeling the wind, smelling the air, hearing the sound of my engine as I ride through a tunnel. It's also satisfying for me to explore the next curve, a place where I've never been. I look forward to finding a funky little spot to have lunch and share the experience with other riders.
I also wonder if I would have appreciated riding in my younger years as much as I do now. There is something satisfying about working your a$$ off all your life and then enjoying the spoils of your efforts. I don't think I would have appreciated having it as much.. who knows. I'm glad I have the maturity and wisdom to know how lucky I truly am.
It's alsosatisfying knowing I ride something that is beautiful, unique and special.. like a Victory. I'm rather glad that it is not as wildly popular as a Harley.. I like the fact that it is something that few others own and enjoy. And I like sharing the secret of our Victory's, a thumbs up to other Vic riders, a wink and nod of respect and acknowledgment - these are the people that know how I feel and that's very special. Besides it's rather fun knowing full well that many who seethese bikeswill wonder about their appeal and may never know the joy of riding one. I believe they are that special.

What are your thoughts, ladies? See you on the road.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Yes, it seems we all have the same or similar feelings about riding and why we ride.
When I first started riding it was for the feeling of freedom and empowerment. I also was one of very few women riders at the time. I wanted to be different than the crowd in black and rode in red leathers before the time of all the colours. I travelled alone, leaving my husband at home (he wasn't a rider at the time). I rode thousands of miles throughtout the USA and Canada, camped anywhere and anytime I could. It was difficult and lonely at times but I wouldn't change a thing. I now ride more with othersand really enjoy that too. It's still a thrill to be on the road going with the wind.
I've met so many awesome people, seen beautifulplaces that are indelibly marked in my memory, experienced things that changed how I live... I have lived and will continue to live fully and my motorcyling is one of the ways to do it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
BellesAZ said it very well. I would add that riding is one of the few avtivities that can be enjoyed with a group or alone. For me, it has replaced snow skiing. I love the speed but also enjoy the satisfaction of taking a tight corner properly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
dsjr70 said:
The original sisters of motorcycling.... The Van Burens, 1916... No point really just thought you might be interested...
I belong to the Motor Maids, the oldest motorcyclist organization in history. Dot Robinson, who passed away a few years ago, was the first female motorcycle sidecar racer.

We have women riders from all over Canada, USA, Australia and one in Israel. We have quite a history. I'm proud to be a part of the organization. We all ride! and it's a requirement of being a Motor Maid. Most of us ride lots of kilometers/miles every year. It opened up riding for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

dsjr70 said:
So, basically you are saying we ride for the same reason, alittle mushier but the same ending... :)
I don't know, really. I think for many women, there is a special little thrill. We all love the freedom and share basic feelings.. but for women, there is a special moment of gratification that we can be independant and forward thinking.. and on the same par as men. Just my guess though.
A quick story - last spring, my husband and I rode our bikes to the local produce market here in Phoenix. When we were getting on our bikes to leave, when a very tall and elderly woman approached us. She said that seeing us on our bikes reminded her of a time with her husband when they rode Harley's throughout the USA. She said she remembered riding in South Dakota and seeing the workers carving out the faces on Mt Rushmore - only one had been completed at the time. As she talked to us, her eyes misted over - obviously her flood of memories was coming back to her in those moments. Her motorcycle and photograph are in the HD museum of Buddy Stubbs Harley.
This woman had alot to brag about. Turns out she rode thousands of miles and was truly a pioneer of women riders in her time. It was a nice memory for her and as she spoke to my husband, her daughter told me that she had advancedAlzheimers. She couldn't remember what happened yesterday but she could remember every nuance of her time on a motorcycle, down to the last detail.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
BellesAZ said:
dsjr70 said:
So, basically you are saying we ride for the same reason, alittle mushier but the same ending... :)
I don't know, really. I think for many women, there is a special little thrill.
I've experienced that thrill! One time I got to 60 MPH, set the cruise control & stood on the seat. Quite the thrill!!!!

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

When I'm driving in a cage it seems like everything around me becomes stagnant,my senses are not at their best.
When I'm on my bike everything around me comes alive, my 5 senses are sharp and in tune to my surroundings, Sight-almost a 180 degree view, Hearing-just how quiet it isuntill you crank it on, Touch-the vibration feeling of the road beneath your wheels, Smell-all the oders associated with the fresh countryside air and as for Taste-we must learn to ride with our mouths closed, but we all know that's imposible because of that dam silly GRINwe have.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Speaking from the male side of this equation i have to admit that most of the things that we do , in some form or another is based on how it can get us laid ! LOL
Riding I think is actually not about that, (unless somehow it leads to that) but more like what you said about just being free with the wind and smells the world has to offer. Whether your riding down a winding Highway through the mountains or a back country road with the smell of cows and pigs in the air, Its exhilarating no matter what. It relieves the stresses of the work week or just the day. When was the last time you saw two cages wave to each other? (Not counting Larry David !) Or stopped at a little cafe someplace and just start up a conversation with a perfect stranger just because they were both on two wheels instead of four ? Alone or with some friends its all about the ride and enjoying life.
And im so glad women on bikes have evolved from the Original biker babes.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

To me it seems that every ride is different, maybe that is what doesit for me. usually never in the same places twice although with the club we repeat rides yearly ad enjoy it just the same or maybe more each year. I never rode or had the desire to prior to felling compelled to get a license when my daughter did about 6 years ago. My father in law had a bike back in the late 70's early 80's and it was just a toy for him, he sold it after he dumped it making a left turn. Gotta wonder if I had been riding back then if I still would be riding today.
The open road, seeing some places I have never seen before no matter how corny they may beand to me the challenge of actually doing something others think is risky or beyond their physical limitations just makles me want to get out and ride. Not to forget the unique people I have met and or ridden with.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
advntrus said:
dsjr70 said:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...............................I'm not so sure about that. My wife wasn't too crazy about me buying a bike. I sold her on the Idea by changing the way she thinks about what a bike really is.
"Don't think of it as a motorcycle...........try thinking of it as a $20,000 vibrator".
Shawn
Wowzi!!! Never looked at it that way. Not bad though. Not bad!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Well I think BellesAZ summed it up perfectly at the start of the thread and my wife backs me up on that.
Only thing is, that now she wants the Jackpot Ness and doesn't yet have a licence.
Paul.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.