VOG Forum banner

The Current Trend of Indian Motorcycles

5361 51
While looking at the current lineup of the 2022 Indian Motorcycles I notice that most of the iconic looking Indian offerings are just about gone (no more Vintage). There are three remaining:The Springfield, Springfield Dark Horse and the Roadmaster. And with limited color options.

Some old names are carrying onto the newer models. But I wonder if the market is diving this change or is this a long term plan by PI to keep introducing more modern motorcycles.

I always thought that the overhead to keep three models with three different fairings would be cost prohibitive. I believe this is the last year for the Roadmaster.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,556 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
It looks like they are phasing out what I feel is one of the coolest colors on a motorcycle Metallic Ruby Red. But that's just me and my arrest me red issue. Harley seems to be the only brand with a lot of high end paint jobs anymore.

·
Registered
658 Posts
While looking at the current lineup of the 2022 Indian Motorcycles I notice that most of the iconic looking Indian offerings are just about gone (no more Vintage). There are three remaining:The Springfield, Springfield Dark Horse and the Roadmaster. And with limited color options.

Some old names are carrying onto the newer models. But I wonder if the market is diving this change or is this a long term plan by PI to keep introducing more modern motorcycles.

I always thought that the overhead to keep three models with three different fairings would be cost prohibitive. I believe this is the last year for the Roadmaster.
My guess is the probability of the company winding down the thunderstroke in favor of the liquid cooled motor . Wouldn't be at all surprised to see more models that are different versions of the Challenger. LLoydz says that Challenger motor can easily handle well over 250 HP with the stock bottom end. I would think it would be a lot more reliable and powerful than other big bore air cool engines.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It looks like they are phasing out what I feel is one of the coolest colors on a motorcycle Metallic Ruby Red. But that's just me and my arrest me red issue. Harley seems to be the only brand with a lot of high end paint jobs anymore.
The limited choices of colors from Indian is really a bummer. Harley offers most all of their colors with a blacked out engine and trim option. Why can't Indian do this??? Why are we so limited in color choices if wanting a blacked out engine??! Their paint department really needs to step it up.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The limited choices of colors from Indian is really a bummer. Harley offers most all of their colors with a blacked out engine and trim option. Why can't Indian do this??? Why are we so limited in color choices if wanting a blacked out engine??! Their paint department really needs to step it up.
The challenger has 6 different Dark Horse (blacked out engine, exhaust) colors to choose from, 3 colours in the Limited (chrome) version and 2 colours for the base model. I thought that was pretty good. Some of the other models don't have as many color options.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The challenger has 6 different Dark Horse (blacked out engine, exhaust) colors to choose from, 3 colours in the Limited (chrome) version and 2 colours for the base model. I thought that was pretty good. Some of the other models don't have as many color options.
Right there....Definitely appears that PI is pushing their newest models with more choices across a single offering.

@LEVON106 I think the TS (both 111 and 116) are toast in their current form. If those engines get updated (water cooled heads?) to meet CAFE standards, I can see the Springfield staying and the Chief remaining in its current form.

I always thought that it was expensive proposition for PI to continue to offer three different styled faring on their bikes. One has go....and I believe it is the Roadmaster.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I’m a fan of the 116 TS I was able to ride at a demo day. Just somn about that motor and torque. Liked it in a cruiser.

may have to go 116 big bore on the Vision. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Pursuit is another example of beginning of the end for the Thunderstroke IMO. Like the Challenger but could never justify buying one when comparing it to my cammed Magnum that is paid for. At my age, new motorcycles are probably not in my future as I'll probably be worn out before my Vics are. (But never say never). Harley still has the market on appearance though again IMO. Not crazy over Indian name choices. Pursuit ? Pursuit of what ? Harley success ? Challenger? Challenging who? Guess we all know that answer. The bikes are better than their main competitor so Polaris should forge their own path instead of always looking down the road at Milwaukie when choosing model names.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Right there....Definitely appears that PI is pushing their newest models with more choices across a single offering.

@LEVON106 I think the TS (both 111 and 116) are toast in their current form. If those engines get updated (water cooled heads?) to meet CAFE standards, I can see the Springfield staying and the Chief remaining in its current form.

I always thought that it was expensive proposition for PI to continue to offer three different styled faring on their bikes. One has go....and I believe it is the Roadmaster.
I have been reading since last year about this time when the new Chief was coming out that Indian is going with variable valve timing on their 111/116 in order to meet tougher CAFE standards. I do not think they will ditch these engines soon, but what do I know?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
It's been really hard for me to get excited about any new motorcycle announcements.

Yes I think the HD PanAm is a cool looking bike but not really into the adventure bikes

The Challenger is an ok looking bike, haven't bothered test riding because not currently in the market.

I like the looks of the new BMW R18 Transcontinental but in my area there's virtually no support for the BMW motorcycle brand.

However I do think them toning down the looks of the vintage bikes is more of a deal killer of ever putting an Indian in my garage more than anything.

I went to Victory in 99 because it was something new and different. Then when the Vegas and later bikes came out with the way different looks I was hooked.

Making the Indian look like every other cruiser makes me think it's like every other cruiser, even if it was better horse to ride.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It's getting better but let's say I want a nice high gloss metallic color with the blacked out engine, what are my choices??! Can I get the dark blue nope, how about that nice maroon nope, how about out that awesome ruby red from last year nope, how about the orange nope the orange is only the matte paint. With Harley you can pick the color, then pick the blacked out motor and trim.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My guess is the probability of the company winding down the thunderstroke in favor of the liquid cooled motor . Wouldn't be at all surprised to see more models that are different versions of the Challenger. LLoydz says that Challenger motor can easily handle well over 250 HP with the stock bottom end. I would think it would be a lot more reliable and powerful than other big bore air cool engines.
Possibly, but they just came out with the new Chiefs with the Thudnerstrokes. If they do, then I guess it's more typical bs from Polaris.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I think the TS (both 111 and 116) are toast in their current form. If those engines get updated (water cooled heads?) to meet CAFE standards, I can see the Springfield staying and the Chief remaining in its current form.
I'm old school. I don't want liquid cooled. And I know a lot of bikers that don't want it either.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Last I checked the website you can get both the open style and the big closed fender.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Personally, I like the Roadmaster but would want the challengers front wheel / fender combo & I’d want that 108 liquid cooled

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.