The cure for EV range anxiety | Page 7 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The cure for EV range anxiety

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by 1stVictory, Apr 2, 2021.

1. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    Awsome, just imagine if the government's and oil companies did not get involved in the year 1830 or whatever, all those governments declaring "war" on climate change .... Humbug ...... they were the ones killing the electric car in the first place, all that bull about batteries were not long lasting, surly they would have come up with salt batteries etc in let's say 1880 ????

In 1828, Hungarian Ányos Jedlik invented a small-scale model car powered by an electric motor that he designed. Between 1832 and 1839 (the exact year is uncertain), Robert Anderson of Scotland invented a crude electric-powered carriage.

2. BP6666VR

I love lane splitting, i grew up with it, in Holland

I think there is only 1 county in the world where lane splitting is illegal, and that is the good old USA, seems to me it's just to keep the citizens narrow minded, patronizing citizens and let the police take your money, keeping inline like cattle

Please don't attack me for what i wrote, better have a discussion about it and tell me another country in the whole world that you cannot lane splitting ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    It’s a very difficult discussion to have here. When legal lane splitting is proposed, people argue against it citing illegal lane splitting as examples. So if I want to filter away from the “get rear ended” zone of traffic at a red light or an off ramp, I get told how I’ll die doing 80 mph between cars.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    It’s legal in California and I think another state, Wyoming? or Montana? allowed it a year or so ago. I did it regularly when I lived in CA without issue.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    We have too many a$$holes that’d intentionally open their doors in front of you, if I’m stuck in traffic then so are you syndrome. I do it when possible legal or not, when I catch a dirty look I just say “it’s ok, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night”, has worked so far. Just gotta pay lil extra attention to the haters & jelly mongers that’ll take you out while recording their vlogs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    I do it all the time out here. The key, in my opinion, is education for the driving public. There were several campaigns out here to educate the public about this that seemed pretty successful. And second... you have to do it right. You don't blow by a line of traffic at 70 MPH while everyone else is stopped or moving slowly. THAT is what pisses people off more than anything. Instead, you maintain a small speed delta and try to engage motorists as you approach and give a small "ack" when you go by.

It took a while, but most motorists are OK with lane sharing now and appreciate it when you do it in a respectful manner. At least this has been my experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BP6666VR

Makes me wonder when the law against lane splitting was implemented ....

8. BP6666VR

Opening a car door on a motorcycle ? That's attempting murder in my book .... That's just knuts ... Thanks for posting ...

9. BP6666VR

I've seen that on YouTube, crazy flying between cars like that ... Just because lane splitting is legal in such and such states doesn't mean you can lane split in a warp speed ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    It's not necessarily illegal in all places. Like Texas it's not illegal.... But it's not legal either. Meaning it's not on the books either way.

In many places opening a door like that can be illegal.

Or if your park beside a road and open your door... And it gets hit by a passing car.... The car that opened the door is at fault.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BP6666VR

I just had a interesting read on Wikipedia about lane spliy, apperently 1 complain from 2009 made this a issue ....

These numbnuts ruin it for all you guys

12. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    That happens all over the US and they are a real problem. Absolute hooligans with no respect for anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BP6666VR

Don't want to believe this, today i get a email about lane splitting ... How is that possible ?

Oregon governor nixes lanesplitting bill - Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

Oregon governor nixes lanesplitting bill

Just a few days after Oregon Senate Bill 574 passed, legalizing motorcycle lane sharing in the state under certain circumstances, the state’s governor has shut the bill down.

According to OPB News (we spotted it via Asphalt & Rubber), Brown refused to sign the bill, sending a letter to Oregons House of Representatives and Senate saying “I have several concerns with the bill as currently drafted, particularly related to public safety and noncompliance.”

SB574 passed through the House earlier this May with almost a two-thirds majority, receiving bipartisan support. It’s the latest in a series of attempts to legalize lanesplitting or lane sharing in Oregon. Despite that constant support, there have been opponents to the bill from police and public safety bodies. OPB News reports officials from Portland were concerned about the practice in their city, and the Oregon Transportation Safety Committee said it would put motorcyclists in danger by putting them in cars’ blind spots. Supposedly, authorities were concerned riders would expand their lanesharing beyond SB574’s limited scope (basically, state highways during rush hour).

“Many stakeholders, including law enforcement agencies and members of the public remain concerned that lane filtering is unsafe for both the motorcyclists and the drivers sharing the road, due to the serious injuries and death that commonly result from motorcycle-involved accidents,” Brown said in explanation of her veto. “Based on these concerns, I am returning SB 574 unsigned and disapproved.”

14. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    What can Brown do to you? Lie of course, that’s what:

“Many stakeholders, including law enforcement agencies and members of the public remain concerned that lane filtering is unsafe for both the motorcyclists and the drivers sharing the road, due to the serious injuries and death that commonly result from motorcycle-involved accidents,” Brown said in explanation of her veto. “Based on these concerns, I am returning SB 574 unsigned and disapproved.”

15. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    That’s pretty much my point. When proponents bring it up, we’re talking about legal lane splitting. With legal lane splitting: the speed limit is never nullified. Speeding is speeding no matter what part of the road one is using. In fact most proposals I’ve seen use an even lower limit for splitting. As in something like, “up to 45 mph with an overtake speed no more than 10 mph”. So no matter what the posted limit it, if the traffic is moving at 15, splitting at anything over 25 is illegal. Traffic is moving at 45...no splitting. But opponents don’t discuss the safety of that, they always seem to go with how dangerous it is to do it at 70, something I’ve never seen proposed to be legal.

It’s been awhile now, but I remember reading one study where California, Texas, and Florida were compared. Those three states were picked because of similarities in population densities, and year round riding. It found that riders in California were 30% less likely to be rear ended than riders in Texas or Florida. The presumption was that this was based on motorcycles not being in a physical space where an inattentive driver would rear end them because they filter away from those locations. I find that a very convincing argument.

• Agree Agree x 2