The cure for EV range anxiety | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

The cure for EV range anxiety

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by 1stVictory, Apr 2, 2021.

1. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    Just stirring the pot here.

image077.jpg

image079.jpg

image082.jpg

image081.jpg

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Bujee1

Bujee1 Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country, and 2016 Cross Country Tour
    Wrong forum? I get it though. You actually have to own a Tesla to get on their forum. Too bad. That post is funny!

3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bujee1

Bujee1 Well-Known Member

Spoken by a person who does not own an EV. That is the biggest laugh I have had since the thread on Lane splitting when the folks with the most negative opinions did not live in anywhere it's legal. Or the folks who got their knickers in a twist about Legal weed , and they did not live where that is legal!

It's one of the things I love about this country. You don't have to know anything about a given topic to have an opinion. And someone to co-sign it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Unfortunately something else about this country...every last G-damn thing just has to be politicized. If someone likes something, and someone doesn’t like that person...then that thing must be awful and destroying America. ie: whatever “greenies” like...must be hated by those who hate “greenies”. Conversely, “greenies” must respond in kind by hating everything “anti-greens” like.

I’m going to the Ozarks next month to rip my loud, smelly, gas burning Kingpin around some incredible curvy and scenic roads. On the way there I’m stopping in Kansas City to pick out a Tesla. I’d do it here but I live in a backwards state that doesn’t allow manufacturers to sell direct to consumers (auto dealers lobby) so to see them in person before I purchase I have to leave the state. I’m nearly set on a Model 3, black on black, dual motor awd long range. But I want to see it, and the Y up close before deciding. I have checked out the Mach-E here and it’s a contender too, but I think I like the 3 best. If one doesn’t politicize the F out of everything, it’s possible to like fast and loud motorcycles and Tesla’s at the same time. There’s even a word for it: “Freedom”. In fact when you’re free you don’t even have to be a greenie or an anti-green to like things, you can like them just ‘cause you like them.

On the subject of EV’s I find it fascinating that just ten years ago Tesla was an experiment in toys for rich people. They stood alone in EV’s. What were they selling then, 150k dollar Roadsters by the dozens? Now over 180k cars in one quarter, and growing faster than any other brand. Ten years later Nissan, GM, Ford, Kia, Hyundai, VW, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Volvo are are selling ev’s. Not to mention some other start ups like Rivian and Lucid. From what I can tell Elon Musk is something of a D-bag, but PayPal, SpaceX, and what dude did in the automotive world...pretty impressive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    screen-shot-2017-09-17-at-9-31-11-pm-e1505698362370.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Missed a spot.

Tesla’s are amazing vehicles. When they're sold to virtue signaling D-Bags, I guess it just completes the circle.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bujee1

Bujee1 Well-Known Member

I just got back from a ride on my loud smelly gas guzzling XC. My Tesla Model X is waiting in the garage for when I want to go fast, but in air-conditioned comfort.
    It cracks me up that the "Freedom Crowd" can't tolerate anyone having the freedom to think differently than they do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. Bujee1

Bujee1 Well-Known Member

What's more Virtue Signaling than including "Bikers for Christ" in your auto signature? Do you have the vest as well? You know, God only cares about what's on the inside, right? To signal that much virtue, You deserve two Teslas!
    (And of course, the title that apparently goes with it, to hear you tell it.)
    "Judge not lest ye be judged."

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    Just got back from trip to Florida and North Carolina. Stops for GAS took 15 minutes, unless pee'd, and continued. Speed control set at 78mph pulling trailer with 2 bikes in it.... 21 hours. How long for EV with charging stops, at same speed and pulling trailer?
    My point is, how will those that have RV/trailers take to get where they are going, adding the CHARGING times. RE: 40 foot 5th wheel...what will pull it and for how far? 44 foot motor coach, EV, again how far per charge.
    OH, and every time we stopped to refill...NO charging station...hmmm. Call AOC?

Yes, costs money for the gas, but then as most people are...in a hurry. I don't want days/hours, taken during a trip sitting waiting on a EV to get charged.

Now, for around town would be nice and I hear they take off like a CCT with 501 cams, Techno Research ECU, UD pully, Ragin Cajun exhaust and dyno tune....ALMOST:crackup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Living in Texas that is my issue. Things are really spread out when it comes to outdoor activities....like fishing.

I have my truck to pull my boat. Once we took a week long trip to a lake and stayed in a cabin out in BFE. I had no cell service and on the second night a storm knocked the power out. What do I do now? We had to go into town a few times for different items but if I was running electric with no way to charge I could not have done that.....and get home. My 36 gallon gas tank got me there and back though.....and I didn't have to plan around charging stations.

To make it hit even closer to the issue during the nights without power we could not charge our accessory boat batteries so guys started losing gear like trolling motors and fish finders as their batteries ran low. I being the guy I am had large overkill batteries so I was good but I would not have been forever....and still reserved power knowing I may need it.

None of the electric options are getting me there and back at a price I can afford either. At $80-120K it is nothing but a luxury item to me. I do not see anyway of adding things up to make buying such a thing worth it for me at this time.

I guess if I sold my toys I could buy one....and then I wouldn't have a need to go anywhere and could just stay home. :rofl2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    The answers to your questions really depend on how sincere you are in asking them. In my experience, these questions are not actually sincere, it’s just a contrived hypothetical intended to extrapolate a weakness from one area to cover an entire market.

Case in point, I’ve been driving a Ford Fusion for about 7 years now. I got the top of the line model with all the bells and whistles, put 120k miles on her, not one break down. It’s been a great car. But, it has never once pulled a 40 ft 5th wheel trailer loaded with two 900 lb touring bikes. My God, how did I ever make it this far??? In fact in my 40 years of driving, I’ve never once pulled a 40 foot 5th wheel toy hauler loaded with two bikes. Imagine that. BUT...I would very much like to in retirement and the wife and I have talked about doing just that. Selling everything, get a super luxo 5th wheel, and tour for a couple years. When we find someplace we want to stay for retirement, sell the 5th wheel and settle down there. For this to be possible it’s quite simple, and the answer to your question as well, I would need a truck for this. So I would buy a truck. That’ll be about 12 years from now so what will the truck be? I’ll let you know in 12 years. It won’t be anything currently for sale as a 2021 model I can tell you that. Ford did recently show off their all electric F-150 that could tow a freaking train, so I think it can handle a fifth wheel. So can diesel so I’ll just see what my options are at that time.

As far as charging goes, that answer is simple too. Practice freedom and buy what works best for you. For me I rarely road trip over 350 miles. I have family in Chicago, Madison WI, and STL that I drive too. Further than that I usually fly. So the car I’m looking at has a 353 mile range. If I was going to Chicago, 330 miles away, I start with a full charge. Davenport IA has a Super charging station right off 1-80. 10-20 minutes there and I’m at or above 80%, which would be about 280 miles left “in the tank”. More than enough to get to Chicago, take my boy out to eat and visit, fully recharge overnight at the hotel. I’ve lost nothing. What I have gained: zero trips to the gas station the other 51 weeks a year. At 15 minutes per, that’s 12.75 hours a year. Add a couple more hours saved because I don’t have to sit around at a service center for an oil change twice a year. I’ve saved 15 hours and lost nothing. Even if I did decide to go on a longer road trip and had to sit for 20-30 minutes instead of 10-15 at a gas station...big whup. I’m still way ahead. And I haven’t even gotten to the car driving itself to the charging stations....

Regardless, nobody...literally nobody is saying one thing is right for everybody. If you need a super duty diesel...by all means get a super duty diesel. Just because my car can’t do what your truck does doesn’t mean my car doesn’t have value, or advantages for that matter, over your truck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bujee1

Bujee1 Well-Known Member

When there is an EV designed for what you described it will likely get close to 400 miles per charge and will charge up again in the time it takes to stretch your legs and go to the bathroom. There is no doubt the torque is there.

With Batteries are getting better every year, it won't be long before you will be able live that scenario.

Personally, If I don't have time to relax and enjoy the trip I don't go. I hope what you said is not true that most people have so little control of their lives that they have to rush, even on vacation. That is sad.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    In "rushing" I meant to where I am going, relax/play...GREAT place to RIDE...and of course the location. I'm retired and have time, part time job lets me come and go anytime I want. This vacation was originally for 12 days...turned into 22, weather perfect, no rain the whole time, temps 95-78 degrees. Rode Florida and Smokies, 3100 miles total. :devil3:
    And other good stops..saw the FAMOUS MOUNTAINRIDER...recovering from new knee surgery, doing good....AND surprised @PastorJustin for his Wednesday night sermon. We did same, showed up unannounced, last October. (MOST of my sins forgiven) :angel4:

Wonder what the cost would be for EV that pulls like a champ, cruises speed I want and fast charging. The Hummer is $120,000, out of my range. My 2020 Chevrolet Trail Boss, with 6.2 motor, got 15-17mpg, a little less in mountains, @78-79mph cruising speeds.
    Again, around town MIGHT be OK.:cool018:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    The cost of batteries is the primary driver to ev’s expenses, but every year they’re getting cheaper and holding more capacity. Right now the truck market is lagging pretty far behind cars and SUV’s, but in a couple years Tesla, Rivian, Lordstown, Ford, and GM should all have trucks for sale. The rest are all playing catch up to Tesla’s tech so let’s say in a couple years they’re at where Tesla is today tech-wise. A high powered awd 500+ mile range vehicle is 70-80k. Reduced range or features and 40-50k dollars. That’s assuming minimal advances in technology.

Range is often misunderstood too. DC fast charging can take 3+ hours to get to 100% and most people see that as a turn off. But it’s only 20 minutes to get to 80%. It’s the last 20% that chargers have to slow down to fill. So you’re going road tripping. You plug in overnight and leave in the morning with 500 miles of range. You drive 400 and stop at a super charger. 20 minutes gets you from 0-80%, but you’re not at 0, you’re already at 20%. So 15 minutes or so gets you from 20 back up to 80, which equals 400 miles of range. You drive 300 more. A 700 mile day with one fifteen minute stop. You still have 100 left. You book a hotel room with level 2 charging and start the next day with a fresh 500. Or you spend another 15 minutes at a charger and start with 400.

Is the tech there? Yes. Has the price come down far enough? Debatable but falling. Are there truck options? Nope, not yet. And of course none of that precludes anyone from purchasing something else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1