VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I considered placing this video in the Texting While Driving thread, but thought it deserved a place of its own.

If you think about it, texting has become such a problem that it's affecting people doing something as mundane as walking down a sidewalk. While it's stated in the video that there should have been "cones" placed around the open area, that's not the point, that's just potential lawsuit/blame talk. C'mon, if the texter had not been texting at the time and was simply looking where she was going, then this would not have happened.

The point is, that it's not even safe to walk around anymore as "texters" are not even watching where they are walking. It's time to really take a stand or have these SmartPhones use its ability to know when it's unsafe to text and then turn off the texting feature until the user stops. Yes I know that a failsafe such as this would make it difficult for passengers (not drivers) to text in a car, but we've got to start somewhere.

I've checked out Ford products that include Microsoft's Sync system and one of the latest features is that it converts texts into speech and allows the driver to listen, press a button, and then speak their reply. While this may sound like a good alternative, it's only a baby step forward as it still requires the driver to focus on something other than driving. Simply stated, it's an unneeded distraction.

As you know, I'm Pro Technology. But when it interferes with the safety of others, then action needs to be taken.

Comments?

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dimonback said:
Interesting. Darwinism at it's finest. Even so, the workers were in the wrong, without question.
Agreed, the open area should have been plainly marked as a little old lady could have become severely injured by this open sidewalk manhole.

Nonetheless, texting has gotten out of control and the news media is starting to take notice by highlighting even small instances where texting has been involved in accidents that were non existent just a few years ago.

If this case ever makes it to trial and YOU were on the Jury, how would you rule? Would it be the fault of the utility company who left the cover open or the texter walking blindly down the street? Or, would it be a shared blame as both parties were negligent.

We live in a litigious society (have you noticed an increase of personal injury Lawyer commercials filling the airwaves lately?). An accident such as this probably has these guys crawling through the woodwork.

When compared to the usage of a GPS in a car, there's a warning screen that needs to be passed in order to make the unit operational. There's no such warning on texting devices at this time that say something basic such as "Texting should not be used in situations where attention needs to be paid to the surroundings."

Just wait, at some point, someone will be suing the cell phone operators for allowing their unit to perform (without a disclaimer) and seeking millions in reparations from the phone companies.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I read this story on the news as well. I tried my best not to laugh too loudly.

By all rights, yes, it should've been marked, but come on. Reminds me of the guy that hurts himself breaking into your property and sues you for whatever he hurt himself on in the process.

I also saw a study where a hands free device only marginally increased reaction time over actually holding the cell phone and talking on it. Driving has become much too laissez-faire.

Human error will always be present, I guess we just do what we can to guard ourselves against the guy or gal that's slacking in the mean time.

·
Registered
807 Posts

How would I rule...? Hm. Let's see... would I find a builder negligent for placing his structure right in the path of a pedestrian? Said pedestrian having walked blindly into the brick fascia and broke his nose? Still, the workers failed to place safety barriers around the problems, and in general that makes them liable in most jurisdictions.
I'm an electricalconstruction manager, and there are more hazards on a jobsite than in many other workplaces. But the working conditionsI see taking place today are very different from when I was actually carrying the tools. In some cases the required safeguards areexcessive- attempting to idiot-proof a job that we've been trained to perform with minimal risk.In my day, we used to walk high steel, work on hot switchgear, and pull heavy cable without the benefit of someone telling us it wasn't safe, or that we were working too hard. We made our own rules, with full knowledge of the hazards. If it wasn't safe, we could refuse.
The bottom line is that in my field, the rules have been re-written by attorneys and their clerks, with little or no attention to the expertise of the people they make rules for. This is how THEY would want do the work.
The world has been shaped by attorneys. I think that's a real problem.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Here's another Texting While Walking video, but this time, the texter ends up in an icy bath! Just watch the girl walking down the steps...

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Andy said:
I've checked out Ford products that include Microsoft's Sync system and one of the latest features is that it converts texts into speech and allows the driver to listen, press a button, and then speak their reply. While this may sound like a good alternative, it's only a baby step forward as it still requires the driver to focus on something other than driving. Simply stated, it's an unneeded distraction.
Most cars have come set up with a system similar to that for the last couple of years except they didnt work with the iPhone or Blackberry. Looks like 2013 with iOS 6 all the new cars, that have this feature, will be able to do it with Android, iOS and Microsoft. Sorry Blackberry users....

Personally I dont use the voice to text option but I do like to listen to my text and emails on my Droid. Shame I got to drop another 60-70k to get my iPhone to work :)

·
Registered
11,753 Posts

She will have a hard time on a lawsuit in that case. The hole is open and obvious and we never are absolved of our duty to watch where we are walking. In a compartive negligence State the tort feasor (guilty person) must be more than 50% responsible for the injury. In this case I would think the jury would rule that the walker always has the responsibility not to fall into a manhole

So if the city was, lets say 30-40% responsible the girl would be barred from recovery as she was the primary negligent party.

Next thing we will have to pad the street signs from people walking into them hitting their heads.

·
Registered
245 Posts

These people are not only bloody stupid but danagerous!!

The other day while riding my bike in Bondi Junction (suburb of Sydney Australia), I went to do a left hand turn and this idiot walks out right in front of me to cross the road and YES you guested it he was texting. I gave him a mouth full and he just looked at me as if I came from another planet.From the look on his face he could not understand what wrong he had done. At least when I hit the stebel air horns he jumped about 4 feet so that was worth seeing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.