VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of Jan 1st Texting or reading a texts will be Illegal in Illinois.
They are talking about all cell use now. Who knows maybe they will ban all of that too. Stay tuned and we shall see

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
California has a no hands policy although The Mrs. Terminator recently got busted for that and another cell phone issue back to back then illegal parking. Don't forget the Ahnold got in an accident with his son in his sidecar and had no MC1.

Hell if I had a quarter for every person I stopped while flagging yakking on their cell I wouldn't need a job. Bittersweet revenge, I won't let them go till they get off the phone and after a lecture from me!

Even with Bluetooth or speaker, you CANNOT concentrate on driving while yakking on phone, listening to loud music, drinking Starbucks, blah blah blah.

I can't even imagine trying to talk on the phone while riding!!! When traveling even with the phone feature on my ZUMO I have never set it up. I keep phone on vibrate(no comments guys ~ no one calls anyhow, cept Bill Collector, like I'm going to take those calls on a ride, & I'm gonna report him for stalking soon.) then pull over. I will check in with peeps I'm sposed to meet at my stops.

·
Registered
207 Posts

A ban on cell phones, GPS units, etc. came into effect in November for the province of Ontario, but the cops immediately announced there would be a grace period where, for the most part, they will only issue warnings until February 2010. I guess it was to give them more time to purchase their own hands free gear. As a result, many motoristsstill have their phones glued to their ear or in their lap while texting. When the cops do start enforcing the new law it provides for a fine of up to $500.00 if your caught. Of course one has to wonder if there is any difference between playing with your car radio (which is still legal) and playing with your GPS unit which is not.
Then therewas the young lady I was following the other morning in the passing lane of the Gardener Expressway (a raised highway that runs through the downtown core in Toronto). First chatting on her cell while weaving in and out of her lane, while simultaniously flipping her hair with her other hand. I guess she was steering with her knees. Them looking down at her lap as she switched from chatting to texting, with her make-up mirror open on the sun visor as she adjusted the blush levels on her cheeks. All done while travelling along at 100 KM / 60 miles per hour in heavy rush hour traffic.
Glad I wasn't in front of her on my bike!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Just passed the texting law in NC. I do it (in car), and will stop.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
ManWithAVision said:
....if there is any difference between playing with your car radio (which is still legal) and playing with your GPS unit which is not.
Your GPS unit allows you to use it while in motion? The one in my car does not, the only button that functions is the pause/stop route. I just thought all of them were that way.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When mark and i were on our way back from Fla. he thought that first night before getting to our hotel i was starting to fall asleep or something because i was starting to drive a little erratic ,(we had ridden about 800 miles) and all it was, i was playing with my gps trying to figure out the best route to the hotel. I was freezing and tired and had big gloves on, no wonder he thought that.
Yes don all the (portable) gps systems i have ever owned can be used while moving.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Never really tried the one on my bike. The one in my car is factory so I guess they have more safety features then the portable units.
Some of the newer cars and GPS units designed for permanent installation are starting to offer the ability to use the GPS while the car is under movement. The explanation (or disclaimer) being offered is that it's for "passenger" usage...not driver usage.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Several days ago I heard a fellow on a radio talk show (he's an Attorney) talking about all this hands free phone stuff. He quoted a number of studies - citing that not one study shows a decrease in accidents - or an increase in safety due to laws requiring "hands free"
cell phone use. What it does do - it allows the state to collect millions of dollars in fees
for the tickets written. It's a revenue generator - another tax - not a safety factor.

However - texting is another issue - bad news & a real safety issue - far, far worse than talking on the phone. The safety issue w/ cell phones is the dialing - not the talking.

·
Registered
717 Posts

I text better while ridingthe Vision than in a cage, have promised to stop though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
True story here. This last summer I was leaving a job site when a guy on a crotch rocket pulled up next to me. I kid you not, the dude was wearing no helmet, no shirt, khaki shorts, flip flop sandals, and was sending a text message on his cell phone with his left hand while he throttled with the right. Talk about a death wish.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
kden said:
True story here. This last summer I was leaving a job site when a guy on a crotch rocket pulled up next to me. I kid you not, the dude was wearing no helmet, no shirt, khaki shorts, flip flop sandals, and was sending a text message on his cell phone with his left hand while he throttled with the right. Talk about a death wish.
What you didn't know was - 10 min. earlier he just rolled & finished off a "Big Fattie" in
his bedroom before jumping on his death rocket!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ddawg i agree that the dialing is the most dangerous but i disagree to a point that talking isnt dangerous.
I talk on my cell via a hands free device, which allows me to talk without impeding my vision. A lot of people i see talking on the phone are using their left hand to their head leaning against the window and cant see a damn thing to their left. To me thats pretty dangerous. Ive had people doing this start to come into my lane and they never even bothered to try and look to the left.

·
Registered
398 Posts
We had a car load of teenage girls die in an accident where texting is believed to have been the cause. This occurred on a 4 lane highway with a huge grassy median. Truly sad. And for what? To relay some drivel that is not important at the best of times.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Troy, Michigan just passed a "distracted driving" law. They can ticket you for talking on the phone, texting or even eating your Big Mac.

·
Registered
717 Posts
A couple of days ago, a few miles from here, a mother texted her 17 year old son. When he was replying, he crossed the line and hit a truck head on. He died instantly, luckily the other driver was unhurt. How would you like to be in her shoes?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.