1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
As you know, I've been a Pro-Technology person all of my professional life. At the risk of being a hypocrite,I am thrilled this Legislation is finally becoming a reality. It's a sad statement that we have to rely on laws to regulate what should be common sense.

It will be interesting to see the punishments that will be invoked when this law is violated. Hopefully, it will be considered an impairment and be treated in a similar fashion to DUI. If it's a $20 fine, it might not be effective. As pointed out in another thread, if the driver knows that if they are caught they could risk losing his/her driving rights for a designated period, then it will become a strong deterrent.

On another note, how long will it be until a tech company delivers a mass marketed method of using voice activated "texting?" That would skirt the law, but still distract the drivers from properly operating a motor vehicle.

As Roseane-Rosane-A-Danna (Gilda Radner's Saturday Night Live Character) used to say, "If it's not one thing, it's another."

Keep your eyes open while riding.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Yeah at least he waited to get out of the car before killing himself.

As i posted in another thread, the law doesnt mean sh&^% unless it is enforced.
They passed the law in the City limits of Chicago you may only use a hands free cell phone in your car, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL . I drive in the city every day and i have yet to see anyone pulled over for this. Even when passing cops while on the phone.

·
Registered
290 Posts

It's funnyhow we need laws for common sense, and to protect the stupid from themselves.
What ever happened to natural selection ? I heard great things :)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy said:
As you know, I've been a Pro-Technology person all of my professional life. At the risk of being a hypocrite,I am thrilled this Legislation is finally becoming a reality. It's a sad statement that we have to rely on laws to regulate what should be common sense.

It will be interesting to see the punishments that will be invoked when this law is violated. Hopefully, it will be considered an impairment and be treated in a similar fashion to DUI. If it's a $20 fine, it might not be effective. As pointed out in another thread, if the driver knows that if they are caught they could risk losing his/her driving rights for a designated period, then it will become a strong deterrent.

On another note, how long will it be until a tech company delivers a mass marketed method of using voice activated "texting?" That would skirt the law, but still distract the drivers from properly operating a motor vehicle.

As Roseane-Rosane-A-Danna (Gilda Radner's Saturday Night Live Character) used to say, "If it's not one thing, it's another."

Keep your eyes open while riding.
You mean like a keyboard built in to the steering wheel (similar to wheel mounted radio controls) with a heads up display on the inside of the windshield so you can see what you are typing and or reading as you drive without taking you hands off the wheel or your eyes off the road?? If that didn't smack of tyring to circumvent the problem I could see it beingavailable in the next few years.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Wow Stilcrazee, that's a great idea! NOT!

I was thinking of something much more basic such as an extension of the phone's connection the car via Bluetooth.

When a text message came in, it would signal with a beep. A press of a steering wheel button would instruct it to convert the text to speech and read it to you.

Then, another press of the same button would allow you to speak your response and then convert it into text and send it back to the originator.

But then, these kids could just pick up the phone and talk. But that would mean speaking in real words...not abbreviations and completing sentences.

That would be too easy.

Stillcrazee's idea is much more imaginative! (Are you applying for The Gadget Guru position?)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy said:
Stillcrazee's idea is much more imaginative! (Are you applying for The Gadget Guru position?)
Aw shucks...
No, it was a completely random flash of brilliance..I sometimes amaze (and amuse)myself.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Andy said:
Aw shucks...
No, it was a completely random flash of brilliance..I sometimes amaze (and amuse)myself.
Careers are made from random flashes of brilliance. Keep the ideas coming, then contact the Patent Office!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.