Test Rode a Harley yesterday | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Test Rode a Harley yesterday

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by DefiantBrian, Mar 29, 2021.

1. DefiantBrian

DefiantBrian Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Judge
    Yep, like most people at some point I have considered the possibility of a change. A change for changes sake and not because there is anything wrong with my Victory because there's nothing and it's ill to beat. I bought it new early 2017 as a discounted parting shot bike from Victory. I had tried a couple of bikes but the new bike /discount was too tempting so took the plunge with the Judge.
    My whole life has been spent changing things. I'm the bored easily /novelty wears off quick type and at 50 I'm thinking try **** out as I'm not going to be around for ever but I've always changed my second bike (the non cruiser one)
    Sold my Yamaha XJR1300 to buy a Honda CB1300 to buy Suzuki 1250 etc etc meh, all much of the same thing.
    Anyway, yesterday I was offered a Dyna Fat Bob test ride. I knew not to hammer it like my Victory (no pun intended) as I was informed the suspension set up was softer than mine.
    Being 6'2 ish I've found certain Harleys cramped but the Fat Bob wasn't one of them so I thought, what is there to lose?
    How did I get on? Never sat my hole on a Fat Bob and first impressions weren't bad at all.
    Dyna, shaky come to life 103 vibrating away like a $hitting greyhound was a novelty to start with so off I rode.
    10 minutes in after following a truck on a winding road the bastsrd clipped the verge throwing dirt and stones up so I thought "right, f**k this I'm getting by here".
    Gap appeared, down a gear and nailed it. Coming back onto my side of the road the bike started to shake quite badly and it felt like I was hanging on to jackhammer.
    Eased off the gas and it came good. Took it easy after that and just came home.
    Long story short, I went through the pleasantries but saying it wasn't for me.
    As it was a friend selling I didn't say what I wanted to say which was "Not a patch on the victory in any department. Performance, handling, refinement, comfort etc"
    Don't get me wrong it wasnt bad, just not enough to get me to flip. Looks like I'm sticking for now.
    I've never kept anything for 4 years, ever, so it must say something about the brand they dumped. :smokin:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. satxron

satxron Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    Shaking badly? Can you elaborate on that? Have not owned a HD since about 1980 but never heard of them shaking, was it broken in some way? Thinking you should have told your friend about a wheel balance problem maybe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

2014 cross country tour
    Ride a 2017-2021 Harley big twin and they barely shack the handlebars at idle. All of the new Harley big twins have rubber-mounted engines that are also counterbalance also. My 2014, Harley Road Glide Ultra with a Woods cams, Fuel Moto, Jackpot two into one exhaust, Harley Ventilator Extreme air cleaner, Power Vision fuel tuner is just as smooth at all cruising speeds as my Cross Country tour with a 106 engine and now a 116-inch engine. I can rev out the RPM's on my 114-inch Harley at any RPM's and the handlebars don't shake or throb. All I feel is a very slight, pleasing pulse on the handlebars at any cruising RPM.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    That’s an impressive list of things you added to your Harley so it could live up to a Victory standard.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    A ton of $$$ to remove the shake!

6. crosscountryla

2014 cross country tour
    Nope. The 2021 base Harley Big twin bagger sells for $18,999 and it's rubber-mounted and counterbalanced. The base Harley softail sells for 13,999 and it's rubber-mounted and counterbalanced too. Both of these bikes barely move the handlebar grips at idle and once rolling the mirrors are both clear and with only a very slite pulse in the handlebar grips at any speed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Kingpin007

Kingpin007 Active Member

2012 XC
    The new M8 motors do not shake and they make more power stock than a Vic 106. It took them 10 years to get there but new M8 has good performance and responds well to mods being a over head cam motor.

8. Alwhite00

Alwhite00 Active Member

Victory
    77/101 according to a cycle world dyno test. D7924BB3-B67A-4C47-A511-957BF1894C44.jpeg

9. Alwhite00

Alwhite00 Active Member

Victory
    Here’s a cycle world quote.

“On the CW dyno, our stock CC managed 87.7 horsepower at 4750 rpm and 101.9 foot-pounds of torque at 4400”

10. 11ZNL

11ZNL New Member

V11 Sport Naked
    OK, the output of a stock 107 M8 is fairly close to that of a 106 but no OHC . They have new 4 valve heads still actuated by pushrods. Sure a 117 would have higher a higher output than a stock 106 but who cares .There is no need for anyone to get upset by the original posting. It is what it is. The OP didn't like his time on whatever Harley he was riding at the time. I take my hat off to him for giving it a go in the first place.
    Rob

• Like Like x 3
  11. Kingpin007

Kingpin007 Active Member

2012 XC
    The M8 107 is very close to the Vic 106. Depending on dyno etc. but both in the 80hp, 100 tq range. Look on Lloydz site under dyno graphs. He has stock XC at 83hp, 97tq. Most of the HD's come stock with the 114 engine now which is a step up from the 107. Fuel moto has 107 stock making 80hp, 98tq and the 114 stock making 86hp, 107tq. Add a good stage 2 and your in the 115hp, 125tq range. I'm not a HD fanboy but there new motors are a significant improvement over there twin cam design.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour
    I picked up an Ultra last year with the 107. It's a capable motor. The rest of the bikes fit and finish is really good.

Storage, way behind the Vic, handling, behind the Vic, leg room behind the Vic.

Big difference is, HD still being made, Vic is not, so that kind of sums up the deal.

Handlebar shaking is gone on these newer bikes.

Am I happy with it? Well not unhappy with hit. Really miss having a modern vtwin with a modern look.

Guess the real test will be how well it holds up

13. crosscountryla

2014 cross country tour
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    My buddy has a 2018 Street Glide with the 107 & it is by far a much improved engine over HD’s previous attempts. But my fully trunked, lowers, tool bag & me ( he’s 15lbs lighter than me ) is still faster no matter how we run. We’ve done 2nd gear rolls, 3rd & 4th gear pulls & even from stopped. We always go to 100mph & the fully dressed Vic is always in front of his stripped dwn SG. His wins the pretty contest, is a really nice bike but he’s dealing with recalls & expensive service costs, plus it cost him $18,500 for a cup of the HD koolaid without free refills. Vics are easy to maintain whereas he says it’s at least $200 every time his gets serviced. I like HD’s, hell from 4 yrs old I always dreamed of having a Harley but when I was finally able financially and I had all my sport bike stupidity outta my system I quickly realized they weren’t the best machine any longer, the Vic had taken that crown & even though nowadays my crowns turned from gold into tin, I will proudly wear it until I can’t hold a bike up anymore. The prom queen may be dead but I’ll ride it until the body gets cold :beer3:

• Like Like x 1
  15. SemperVee

SemperVee Active Member

12 RED CCT
    14 Harleys of which 8 were full touring dressers - led me to a Victory CCT. I'm just sayin.

I wrote a check for my new 2012 CCT after a 45 mile road test of the 2013 Road glide an hour later.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3