Test rode a Chieftain | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Test rode a Chieftain

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by crosscountryla, Feb 10, 2015.

1. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 cross country tour
    An Indian and BMW dealership opened up about 30 minutes from my house in january of 2015. I called the dealership and asked a salesman on the phone if they had any Indian demo's to test ride. The salesman that I talked told me yes. I then rode my XCT to their dealership and when a salesman came out to talk to me I asked him about a test ride. He then told they didn't have any bikes to test ride. I told the salesman if I was going to pay the price of a new Indian Chieftain I wouldn't even consider buying one if I couldn't test ride one first. He then told that I could ride any Indian that I thought I wanted to buy , but just as long as another salesman rode another Indian with me. I then was asked to show my drivers licence and fill out a printed sheet. The salesman told me that they would bring a red Chieftain to the front of the building shortly. I walked outside to the front of the dealership and saw a red and cream Chieftain parked out front. Like forum members have posted, I didn't have the leg room to stretch out like I was able to on my XCT. The seat on the Chieftain felt firmer too. But, the seat on my XCT became more comfortable as the miles built up. I had read how much smoother the Indian transmissions shifted, but this was not the case on the Indian Chieftain that I test rode. I wound first gear out to 3,000 rpm's and then tried to up shift into second gear, but nothing happened.I had the end of my boot right in the middle of the shift peg. I then let off of the gas and moved the end of my boot to the front right side of the shift peg and tried shifting into second gear at 2,500 rpm's. I then was able to shift into second gear. Even though the seating position placed me closer to the electric winshield , I was not uncomfortable. I found the Chieftain easier to pitch side to side than my heavier XCT. The bike that I was riding had the stock exhaust on it and I thought that the exhaust note sounded pretty good for stock. I absolutely loved the low end torque of the 111 engine. I never felt the need to wind the rpm's past 3,000. In six gear at 80 mph the Chieftain felt like it would run all day. I only rode it about 3 miles from the dealership and 3 miles back,, but I loved the look of the bike, exhaust note, look of the engine, and every thing else on the bike. When I got back to the dealership I asked a salesman if they had an Indian with the stage one exhaust on it. They had a red Chieftain with a round performance air filter and stage one mufflers in the service bay. When the salesman started up this bike, man oh man did that exhaust note sound sweet. DEEP and THROATY rumble! In my opinion this stage one mufflers sounded even better than my Freedom Performance true duals that I used to run on my XCT, and that's saying a lot! I then filled out the paper work to see what the payments would be with $5,000 down and financed at 3.9 % for 72 months. If I remember correctly the monthly payments worked out to $357 and some change. When I walked out of the Indian and BMW dealership the test ride that I took on the red and cream Indian Chieftain left a lasting impression on me. This was the exact same impression that I had when I took my very first test ride on a used Victory Vegas at a Victory dealership that had a performance air filter, drag pipes, and a performance ignition chip. Just as soon as I'd sat down on the seat on XCT it felt much more comfortable than the Indian Chieftain that I test rode. When I pulled out of the dealership I really enjoyed the extra room to stretch out my legs. Would I buy an Indian Chieftain? Absolutely YES! Would I sell my XCT? Absolutely not! My XCT handles better, and it rolls off the miles on the highway like a grey hound bus. I know that the red and cream Indian Chieftain would blend in a whole lot better at the Harley bike events and also get a lot more compliments too than my Victory XCT. I also know that if I was asked to start up the Indian Chieftain to hear how the exhaust note sounded , I'd probably get a whole lot more thumbs up as well too. In my opinion though , the XCT feels much relaxed at 85-90 mph because sixth gear is taller than the sixth gear on the Indian Chieftain. Because of the tighter ratio transmission, 80 mph on the Indian Chief that I test rode felt like 90 mph on my XCT. My XCT feels more relaxed at highway speeds of 90 mph ,and the engine feels more relaxed at those speeds too. The Indian Chief that I test rode really liked 75 mph. My XCT loves 85 mph for cruising.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. YENRABSRIDE

YENRABSRIDE Well-Known Member

2013 VISION TOUR, 2013 TRIUMPH SPEED TRIPLE, 2015 YAMAHA FJR1300ES, 2015 KAWASAKI ZX14R, 2016 KTM 1190 ADV, and 2019 TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 1200XC
    I find the trannys on the Indians very stiff when they're cold. On a few Indian demos, if I was the first rider of the day, I really had to muscle the shift peg into 2nd, but once the bike warmed up, it shifted like butta.
    If bling was my priority, I would definitely get an Indian over a Victory. For everything else, I'll just keep my Victorys.

3. Ariesnc

Ariesnc Well-Known Member

2015 Victory Magnum
    Nice write up. I know how you feel. I was back and forth looking at the chieftain and really felt it is a nice motorcycle and may still own one at some point and time. However I purchased a magnum over the chieftain and some of my friends say that was crazy but I tell them you have to be comfortable on the bike and I felt more at home on the cc. I'm sure had I bought the chieftain I still would like it but it would've definitely took some getting use to and adjusting a few things. However I do like the look of the chieftain and the motor.

• Like Like x 1