Test rode a Can-AM Spyder | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Test rode a Can-AM Spyder

Discussion in 'Cam-Am General Discussion' started by Known1, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Cross Country Tour
    LOL - you should tell us how you really feel. :)

2. benm

benm Member

victory vegas
    diferent country but here in aus were losing whats left of our car industry,becuase of the government not helping them anymore
    ie dropping inport tarrifs and other hand outs..
    I would rather hand out to the car companies ect rather than paying more unemployment benifets,
    we are fast becoming a country that cant make anything
    we used to make everything ,we have the resources we have people
    now all we get is imports.

3. torotim

torotim Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    My brother-in-law bought his Spyder last march and put 8000+ smiles on it. They do feel cramped but after helping him with some highway pegs and getting a little familiar with it being I did the searching for his aftermarket goodies, there are tons of ways as with anything, to improve the ergo's. He is 5'6" so it's spot on for him stock. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I couldn't ride a two wheeler anymore. I wouldn't walk across the street for a trike over a Spyder. He got his 2012 with 4200 miles (manual tranny) for $14K.

We were just out yesterday in 45 degree weather and had a blast! WP_20160227_15_10_42_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. BlackCCT

BlackCCT Active Member

2012 Cross Country Tour (Vic Shop cammed)
    I have never ridden one, I think they have their place and I like them just not for me at this time in my life, my wife sort of likes them but she would never ride on her own bike for that matter. I do see a them on the road frequently and somebody who lives 2 miles down the road form me owns one. One of my riding friends who retired and moved to Florida bought one last year, he too had a lot of issues with it, it spent a lot of time in the shop, I do not recall all the problems but it was enough that this past winter he traded it off.

5. BlackCCT

BlackCCT Active Member

2012 Cross Country Tour (Vic Shop cammed)
    Well I guess since you are of the homeland of this company you have more incite to their business practices :). On a more serious note though I use to be in he motorsports business a few years back and I still have friends who on shops or have exited like myself. Anyhow 2 guys I know took Bombardier into their shops, neither of them still sell them, they both dropped them. They both experienced a serious lack of dealer network support and with the other more popular brands they both sold, both had Polaris also, they did did not move hardly any units so they dropped them. Both of these dealers got out before the Spyder introduction when they were off road vehicles only. I think it hurts them also that they are in a saturated market for off road vehicles with a lack of dealer network support and a premium price point in the states. Other than the Spyder there are good off road units out there from other companies that cost less and have better aftermarket support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 79cutlas

79cutlas New Member

2015 Highball
    Since I just traded my Spyder for the Highball, I'll chime in here. The Spyder was amazing at things a motorcycle can't do. Pissing off motorcycle riders. There was nothing that generated more hate, and instant dirty looks than pulling up on a Spyder. Honestly, it was part of the reason I sold mine, people don't understand it, or they don't want to understand it. When I first got it, I was on the same boat, I didn't "get it". I had ridden one of the early models and it was fun, just like it was supposed to be. Years later when I bought one, I wasn't even looking for it, but it fell in my lap at a good deal, had the Fox suspension, sway bar, automatic (1 second faster than the manual) and hell, I dare say it, had an absolute BLAST with it. It corners faster than I am capable, or crazy enough on 2 wheels. I let a 20 something that said they were junk take it for a ride, he was sure he was going to hate it, came back an hour later grinning ear to ear and said it was a lot of fun, he still wouldn't own one, but at least he appreciated it for what it was. NOT a motorcycle. I've had to wait on competent sport bike riders after a section of twisties, and there's nothing like drifting in the rain on one.

I could go grocery shopping on it, take the 3 year old daughter around the block, and well yeah, just ride the thing. Never had an issue with mine, so don't know the mechanical issues, but maybe I was lucky. I did miss 2 wheels and I'm happy to be back on them, but if you've never ridden one, don't believe the hype, just go test ride and decide for yourself. The RS-S isnt the old man cruiser like the RT, and its very capable of a good time. 11151027_10206179978673806_7466248663043105619_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. torotim

torotim Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    If I had loads of disposable cash I would own a couple iterations of the Spyder. My brother-in-law makes me look invisible at stops when we're out riding together. Everyone gravitates towards that RT of his and doesn't even see me, and it's not to hate. Lots of curiosity and and admiring comments. I'm seeing more of these showing up around here than the Vics.

They have their place. Being a Victory owner I'm past the haters anyway. My wife and I have reached the point where she even says "it's nice just to be different". It's the insecurity of the haters that fascinates me. Those that don't like something different more than likely haven't been on one and will tell you that it's beneath their dignity to try one. I think those people are scared to try one because they don't want to find out that they might actually like it. I just cant wrap my head around the fact that another individual can't understand why someone doesn't love and worship their idol. These things aren't deities', they're toys. Period!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

09 Black Kingpin Prem rpw Thor 2 into 1. cams and ajustable timing wheel S+S intake and flash
    I've never really been taken by these things and I not in the league of what some may refer to as a hater either!
    I really don't have any use for these oddball things! They have a following for sure and it is from what I've seen kinda a focused group so to speak! Personally I think for a unit that will run you up to 30 grand it,s got to do more to me then what it does!
    I just don,t like them on principal as well!
    there pare t company Bombardier up here in Canuck land has always got there hand out and as its home base is in what's considered a have not province the rest of Canuck land has to keep pumping money into them to keep them afloat, billions of dollars continue to flow into this company from tax payers and equalization payments simply because,they ask!
    Nope I won,t be buying one of these over priced and taxpayer subsidized items anytime soon!
    I prefer supporting the real marketplace not one that is maintained from the backs of hard working Canucks who continue to bail them out! Buy your sea do or Spyker if you wish but know it's a welfare case!

9. 79cutlas

79cutlas New Member

2015 Highball
    By definition, you sound like a hater lol I thought Canada was the liberal utopia where redistribution of wealth is a good thing and you should be happy to help your fellow Canadian keep a job?

Politics aside, BRP is an entirely different division than the aerospace division of Bombardier, as a former aircraft worker I'm guessing that plant provides A LOT of jobs, in a place you say is a "have not" area. If that area is already poor, those jobs are the only thing keeping that province afloat and costing you more money in real welfare than they get in government money to Bombardier. I would personally rather see those people employed and making money, than unemployed and living off the government, which I have no idea what the welfare is like up there. It just makes more sense to have people with a job. Aircraft is a rough business since 2008 when Obama and Congress made a big deal about CEO's using charter aircraft to get to a meeting. Its not even like these companies owned the airplanes they were flying in, they were rentals from a company called "Net Jet", it's actually cheaper to fly a CEO on a rental jet than have him waste time waiting in airport terminals and what not. Those people time is money, and they get paid alot of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

09 Black Kingpin Prem rpw Thor 2 into 1. cams and ajustable timing wheel S+S intake and flash
    Opps getting off track

11. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    I gotta say I still have some love for ours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to sell it but I have been riding it a bit more lately and I think for now I'll keep it. As mentioned, I traded in no.1 for my Vision. If anything were to happen and I could not hold up a bike anymore, I would certainly ride this machine to stay in the wind. Besides, it's a hell of a lot of fun, it's different, and sh!t, it's paid for! I still need to go ride one of the new ones to see how they have come along over the years. This one is a 2010 RSS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roadkill

Roadkill Roadkill

Victory Can-Am Honda
    +I love mine in addition to the bikes in the garage, too. 65,000 miles so far. P3090005 (Large).JPG

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Nice picture. For the open road these things are great. Smooth as you please and completely care free. Driving rain storms - not a problem! Ask me how I know...

14. Roadkill

Roadkill Roadkill

Victory Can-Am Honda
    +No need to ask...
    71.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  15. SilvrT

SilvrT Active Member

2013 CCT
    Seems to me you have some very deep rooted anger over something about our Country!

You won't support Canadian made product even if it is tax payer funded yet you seemingly have no problem sending your money south of the border by purchasing a US made motorcycle. If we Canadians put more of our money into Canadian made products (the real marketplace), perhaps some of these so-called "bail outs" wouldn't be necessary.

As for Bombardier, there's a lot more to that issue than you're stating. Beyond that, there are many, many more businesses and organizations that are "supported" by tax payer money not just here in Canada but also in the USA. It is done for many reasons and to boycott them for it is just plain ridiculous.

sorry, I just had to rant coz some of your comments just got me annoyed.

• Agree Agree x 1