Test rode a Can-AM Spyder | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Test rode a Can-AM Spyder

Discussion in 'Cam-Am General Discussion' started by Known1, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Cross Country Tour
    Yesterday while having tires put on my XCT I took one of these out for a test ride to pass the time. I've never rode a trike or anything with 3 wheels, other than an 80's Honda big red. Anyway, I was impressed at how quick and high revving it was. The red line is somewhere around 7,200 RPM and I hit it more than once. With that said I experienced the absolute worst helmet buffeting I've ever had. In fact it was so bad I ended up with a mild headache after about 90 minutes of cruising around. It's like the windshield was designed to push all of the air directly into my face. I think these things are made for people well under 6' tall.

Cornering felt strange (to be expected) and leaning obviously does nothing for you. I kept reaching for a front brake and found the pegs/foot controls to be WAY to high up. I literally had to lift my leg in order to apply the brake, which didn't seem very safe for making an emergency stop or quick braking maneuver. I think the pegs/controls can be adjusted down the frame tubes, but I'm not sure.

With a starting price of $19,500 for a stripped down model there is no way I would even consider purchasing one of these. I did have fun on it, just like I do riding go-karts, but no chance I'm coming off of two wheels for one of these. The one thing I really liked was being able to park it like a car and then use reverse to back out. When I rolled to the dealer to drop it off and pickup my bike a couple of the service guys were outside and had a huge smile on their faces when I pulled up. They then asked, so are you ready to trade now - straight up this bad boy for your bike? It was a loaded question and they were anticipating my answer of "oh, hell no"!

They have there place and some may just love 'em, but I would be shocked if any of those people are near or over 6' tall. I was hoping to take out a slingshot, but the dealer had recently sold their demo model.

2. twbrock

twbrock Active Member

Cross Country Tour
    I know 3 Can-AM owners and all have had computer/electronic problems. One keep a loaner for a month while the dealer worked on a glitch.

RideSafe

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Keith Grey

Keith Grey Grouchy Old Member

None
    Slingshot looks interesting to me, Spider not so much.

If I can't Ride it, I want to be able to Drive it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. mjw930

mjw930 Well-Known Member

Octane
    Without know which model you rode it's kind of like someone coming onto a Harley board and saying they rode a Victory and pointing out dislikes without mentioning which one.

My wife has owned both a 2008 GS and a 2013 ST-S and absolutely loved them both. I have ridden both quite a bit and although I don't like them enough to give up 2 wheels I find them to be a blast to ride. I do, however, agree that the ergonomics on the RT are cramped but that's resolved with the seat.

Regardless, there are tens of thousands (well over 50,000 sold) of very satisfied owners and although they have had their fair share of issues and recalls they continue to sell at a good pace and bring people into the sport who otherwise would be on the sidelines. Many of their owners are people who either were never comfortable on 2 wheels or have gotten to the point, either through age or condition where they feel more comfortable on 3 wheels. There are some who own both motorcycles and Spyders but the predominant demographic are people less comfortable on 2 wheels.

BUT, the new F3 is really intriguing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Fair point on the model comment. The only reason I shared my thoughts on TheVOG is because there is a specific forum section for them. If there wasn't a special section just for these unique rides I would not have shared my thoughts with anyone anywhere on the Internet. I honestly have no idea which model or year it was. It had between 1,300 and 1,400 miles on it so maybe it was a left over from last year? Looking at their website isn't helping me determine which model it was. The mirrors were low and not mounted up on or near the handle bars. I just sent an email to one of the folks at the dealer. Once/if I hear back I'll let you know exactly what it was.

6. mjw930

mjw930 Well-Known Member

Octane
    You don't need to bother, it's not really important. I was just giving a different perspective. The area of The Vog doesn't get much traffic anyway. Andy created it when he bought his Spyder then after he got rid of it the section died off.

7. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour
    never ridden the Spyder but my dealer also offered several times to let ride one. Always a solid no thanks.

Offered me a Slingshot, at first said no, but then gave in and had to try. It was fun, but no where near as exciting as I had hoped. However the like futuristic ugly things(ie Vision) and when the heyday dies down on them I may consider purchasing one as a just a fun thing to own.

The can-ams just don't look comfortable like a Victory/HD trike due to having the sportier foot position.

8. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Because I'm a man of my word, it was a 2015 F3.

9. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Nah, it's cool to talk bikes here, no matter what kind. And you are right there is a Spyder section on the board, so why not talk about them.

Like mjw930, We used to be a 2-Spyder Household. My WIfe has a 2010 RSS with the SE5 electronically shifted tranny. I have ridden that machine pretty hard at times and that tranny never misses, which make it a blast to ride. Of course, the stock suspension is awful, but I have taken care of that and put a touring windshield on as well so now the machine is pretty well sorted. It's a real joy on the open road because it's just so carefree to ride. The ergos on hers are much more relaxed than the Phantom GS I had, which was set up almost like a sport bike. This was mine:

[​IMG]

Ultimately I traded it for my Vision but I enjoyed my time on it. They were reliable for us too. Never had a major problem with either of them. But when I got myself into riding shape and got my Suzuki I knew that my days on the Spyder were numbered. But I'll always be grateful to this machine for getting back in the wind after 26 years of no riding.

[​IMG]

Ah, you rode the new F3! Cool. I have not ridden one of those but I hear they are much improved over the earlier models that we had/have. The F3 is supposed to have that new triple like they put into the new RT. The ergos on the F3 look to be much more cruuiser-like also than what I had, as you can see!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mjw930

mjw930 Well-Known Member

Octane
    Cool, thanks. A friend of mine has an F3 but I haven't had time to ride it. I may do that next week just for grins.

11. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    The review is about what one would expect from someone coming off a bike and riding one for the first time, especially without any instruction.

Everything that you found wrong with the F3 is easily corrected, in fact with it's adjustable controls, it can easily handle riders far in excess of 6'. Leaning does make a huge difference on these scoots and an experienced rider on one is going to give any vic touring bike a run for its money in the twisties. You will be scrapping iron for sure to keep up.

As to the wind management, a different windshield would solve the problem. Our RT has better air control than our Visions as well as giving a smoother ride. I have no idea why Can Am puts those cheap assed windshields on a new bike, makes for a terrible ride. You see them on the two wheelers too.

I am pretty sure there will always be at least one Spyder in our garage. Enjoy the ride.

12. Shakey

Shakey New Member

2013 Spyder RT-S
    If you have never driving a Spyder there is definetly a learning curve. It usually takes about 500 to 1000k lms to figure out how to drive it properly. First throw out the window most everything you learned on a two wheel motorcycle. Next you must relax your grip on the handle bars. The Spyder is very responsive to your hand movements. Until you learn to relax your grip the Spyder will be a little squirrelly.
    Once you get used to your Spyder you will find out it is a blast to drive. I changed the swaybar and had a laser alignment done and I am 100% sure I could keep up with you in the twisties. Everywhere I go I have people asking about the Spyder. It is not uncommon to come back to your bike and find people checkling it out.

13. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

09 Black Kingpin Prem rpw Thor 2 into 1. cams and ajustable timing wheel S+S intake and flash
    Never rode one , seen plenty and have heard limited about these
    Contravences.they apear to me to have a very wide following , folks from every walk of life and age group although im thinking moreso over forty.
    Perso ally although I have no desire to even ride one I do see that they do have a secure spot in the marketplace in my opinion! There niche is bigger thansay the burgman niche but still a pretty limited market!
    Im glad they are there for an option but dont hold your breath waiting for me to own one!

14. glennuk

glennuk Active Member

Vision/goldwing 1800
    I test road the RT (touring one)with the 3 cylinder engine and for me it was the victory or spyder and had the spyder been cheaper I probably would have bought one .for most bikers they will find the handling strange but all trikes feel strange to bikers .i ride and build both and found you could hammer the spyder round the bends and is great fun if one turned up cheap and I could sneak it in to the garage past the wife I would have one .
    Would not considered a slingshot as its a 3 wheeled car

15. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

09 Black Kingpin Prem rpw Thor 2 into 1. cams and ajustable timing wheel S+S intake and flash
    Bombardier is in Canada the ever demandin Money pit!
    Year after year they continue to shine and fail,Then grovel to the taxpayers of the land for a bailout!
    little wonder these guys stay afloat they have pictures of goverment officials haveing there way with farm animals a d have also been caught in compromising positions with unusual sex related objects! Thus paving the way for this multi faced company to fu ck up at will and simply go to a safety deposit box ,copy and send a picture or 2 and bail out funds miraculously a pear on there doorstep!
    The slingshot may well be a sports car dressed up as a kinda trike in reverse but at least it is not being funded by a nation that is talking of 20 billion dollar deficits in the next year! All this in a country with about as many people as the city of New York and a couple buses or so of folks from Boston there for a hockey game!
    No as a canuck ,not much chance I would bother with the Bombardier I have a tiny bit of pride left! As a Canuck!

• Funny Funny x 1