Test rode a 2019 , 116 Indian Chieftain | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Test rode a 2019 , 116 Indian Chieftain

Discussion in 'Indian Chieftain' started by crosscountryla, Sep 19, 2018.

1. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 cross country tour
    The 2019 , Indian Chieftain that I test rode had a 60 mm, throttle body, larger factory air filter, stage one mufflers and a performance ignition chip. I had a demo truck rider in the lead and another demo truck rider behind me so I could not ride the bike any faster than the rider in the lead. The demo truck rider in front of me took off fast and I had to ride at a brisk pace trying to keep up with him in the turns and on long straight roads. I was not at all impressed with the RC Components mufflers, 60 mm , Venum Plenum, and stage one performance chip on the 2018 , Indian Chieftain that I test rode in 2018. It also felt like the engine was straining to wind out past 3,500 rpm's. In contrast, I was REALLY IMPRESSED with the 2019 , Indian 116, in sport mode that I test rode. :headbang::biggrin: It would pull you back into the seat when ever you wound out 2-4 gears HARD to 3,800 -4,000 rpm's and rev easy to 4,000 rpm's if you needed to. Roll on power was very snappy when you ran the rpm's up to 3,500. When ever I wound out the gears like that , the exhaust note sounded so rich and DEEP. :headbang::huepfenicon111:It was like a drug addiction each time that I wound out the gears hard, and waiting to hear the DEEP roar of the stage one mufflers. ! I felt way too close to the dash on the 2018 , Chieftain that I test rode, but in contrast ,the 2019, Indian Chieftain that I test rode with the new style ' gun fighter seat ' on it let me sit ' into the bike ' vs ' on the bike ' when I test rode the 2018 , Indian Chieftain. You sit even farther back from the dash on the 2019 , Indian Chieftain, vs the 2018 , Indian Chieftain. The seats on the 2019, Indians are no longer leather but are now vinyl and very easy to keep keep clean vs the leather seats that were easy to get stained.. When ever I nailed the throttle on the 2019, Indian ,116, Chieftain, with the stage one mufflers on it, it put out a really intoxicating, deep and throaty rumble. :biggrin: I also liked the smaller size of the new switch gear housings, easy and non clunky, shifting transmission, larger screen dash. I'm 5' 11 " inches tall, and have 33 inch legs. The 2019 , Indian Chieftain fit me ' really well '. :biggrin: Riding at 80 mph the 116 engine was felt very smooth. I could reel off some serious miles on this bike!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    That sounds very promising.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. notaharley

notaharley Well-Known Member

VISION, BABY!
    All you guys should go sit on a 2019. Much better ergos. The TV screen is huge...great for older guys with poor eyesight, I guess. It would be great for watching a movie, haha.

After what seemed like empty promises of seeing Victory DNA in an Indian-- we are finally seeing it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Usafle

Usafle Active Member

2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
    I would have much preferred to still have a 2019 Victory... :(

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    It’s the power I seek. The price too. The older Chieftain fit me fine but the lack of power put me back on my XC. Guess I’ll have to ride a 2019 and check it out. If we’re to bite ...... that’s if ....... I still have a 16 Magnum Stealth in the garage.
    Hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

6. mister-g

mister-g Well-Known Member

2014 vision tour
    the demo truck will be at the indian dealer in westfield ma on the 28th and 29th of this month so i'll be checking them out first hand. they also have a booth down at the BIG E. (eastern states exposition ) which runs till the 30th of this month. from what i'm hearing there are some good deals to be had on leftover models. looking forward to test riding the 19's with this ergo change and new found power & sound. just thinking out loud here but this year i seriously considered HD but i am done with them, not my cup of tea,,, indian on the other hand still has my attention. if all else fails,,, :think: its back to honda. after 7 years running on a vision it seems near impossible to find a replacement, if i'm lucky i'll never have to ! :ride:

• Like Like x 3
  7. BamBam0099

BamBam0099 New Member

2014 Indian Chieftain
    I have a '14 Chieftain that I absolutely love. Reliable, fast and so much torque that I have to ride with the backrest on or else my grips hurt after riding all day. I test rode a Victory along with a Roadglide/Street Glide and chose the Chiefain for the aesthetics and the power/torque.
    Couldn't be happier with my Chieftain.

8. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I just came off another demo truck day riding them again. I liked the cammed bike over the big bore.
    Mostly because it was much more controllable at the throttle for all day riding. The big bore deleted the use of the sport mode in the 3 power level choices.
    Twitchy throttle.
    The cammer was smooth and linear. Had better manners all around and real decent power.
    The stock bikes were actually better this year because of the new feature. Sport was the chosen mode on a stock bike. Still they were done with power at 4500 to 5k ( BB). A cammed Vic is much more linear yet lacks the bottom end of an Indian. Comfort was decent on the Indian but not a Vic XC. I enjoyed the day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    I have ridden a few Chieftains, including a camm'd example. I have not ridden the '19 Chief Glide yet. I do enjoy the build quality of these bikes. Overall I have to say that they built these better than the Vision in certain respects. The ones I did ride were pretty good riding bikes as well, but I don't fit on them. Even with an extended tour seat I still feel very cramped. Low end torque is good but the engine signs off too early for my taste. Of all of them, the camm'd bike, which was a '18 Dark Horse, was the one I liked the most. The '18 limited was the one that had the best look.

At the end of each test, however, I could not wait to get back on the Vision. I prefer the 106 engine over the Thunder-Clacker 111, and from a comfort standpoint there is no contest. I'll take the Vision all day every day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    I was told recently that some of the 2020 Polaris Indians will come with a factory 116" engine. If that water cooled engine also makes it to production, they could finally be on to something.

But please, so far there hasn't been a single Polaris Indian design from Polaris Indian. The Scout line was stolen from Victory, every design cue of the 111" bikes was stolen from decades old actual Indian Motorcycles designs and now Polaris Indian has blatantly copied the H-D Street Glide.

It seems Polaris hasn't come up with an original design since the Victory Octane and the Cross bike line before that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ghostrider25

@DJsoto69 So what is it that you disagree with?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I really hate a drive by Red X.

Maybe it was just a fat finger mistake but if not I believe all Red Xs should require a response.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Ghostrider25

Me too, Dawg. If he wants to disagree that's OK, but it would be nice to know what it is he disagrees with.

• Agree Agree x 3