VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And even though I came away loving the handling and suspension, I was underwhelmed by the power and rattles. (Both valve train and fairing + lids) I currently have a Octane and 07 Yamaha Venture. Was planning on replacing the Venture as it is so top heavy with either a Goldwing or the Cross Country Tour.The used one I rode has 27,000 miles on it and was immaculate with new tires. So I was surprised and disappointed at the rattling. Also am accustomed to the Venture with its V4 and monster mid range power and the Octane which screams to 8000 rpm and has 100 hp of go. So possibly the power just might not be what I am accustomed to. What have you owners done or experienced with your Cross Countrys?

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
we have fixed the rattles. It's really hard to compare bikes. None are the same as others. Go back for another test ride go for a good twenty miles so you get the feel of the bike. Going around a few blocks is not a good way to judge.
Your octane has a completely different motor

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Drive a Vision. Handles like a small bike. You can upgrade a lot for greater performance. Negotiate price accordingly, upgrade expense to get what you need. Mine flies and handles. Had 2 Goldwings and no comparison, unless you're looking at the new Wing, then???

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
You might have test rode a dud man. I will say the saddle bags are different now than they were. You might wanna try another cct somewhere else. Maybe the previous owner didn't take care of his bike. Try another and if you still think it sucks, then it might just not be your cup of tea. But in case you aren't aware of the ccts potential, there are guys here pushing 140/140 naturally aspirated with upgrades. the 106 is a beast waiting to be unleashed.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Power of a Octane in a bagger......

Put VM1 cams/exhaust/intake in a XC and tune it.

A XC tuned with VM1s and the bolt-ons is faster than a stock Octane.

If you doubt that... Bring your Octane out to play with one.

WW

Reactions: primethious

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking the same thing Mike. Rode a Judge and a Boardwalk with a pipe at a demo day acouple years ago. Came away in love with the 106. And I was riding and doing track days on a Kawasaki ZX14 with 180 hp at rear wheel. But was still impressed with the 106. Been reading past threads here and learned that more hp is available. Kinda doubt a 800 lb bike with bolt ons can out run a 500lb 100 hp bike but sounds intriguing...., would love to know how to get rid of the rattles especially the valve train.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Skiff,
Doubt a little less....
A stock Octane ain't putting down 100hp.
Check out the dyno examples, Octane and a XC.
Yes, different dynos on different days..
But, you get the idea and how they uncork.
Both have before and after runs. XC already had exhaust before
the cams,ect,ect....
Font Rectangle Slope Parallel Pattern
Product Rectangle Slope Font Plot

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Mike. Rode a Judge and a Boardwalk with a pipe at a demo day acouple years ago. Came away in love with the 106. And I was riding and doing track days on a Kawasaki ZX14 with 180 hp at rear wheel. But was still impressed with the 106. Been reading past threads here and learned that more hp is available. Kinda doubt a 800 lb bike with bolt ons can out run a 500lb 100 hp bike but sounds intriguing...., would love to know how to get rid of the rattles especially the valve train.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Skiff,
Doubt a little less....
A stock Octane ain't putting down 100hp.
Check out the dyno examples, Octane and a XC.
Yes, different dynos on different days..
But, you get the idea and how they uncork.
Both have before and after runs. XC already had exhaust before
the cams,ect,ect....
View attachment 371801 View attachment 371809
Not to toot my own horn, but that beautiful second one there just happens to be my dyno chart with Maximus! Glad I was of service...

·
Registered
491 Posts
There are about 6-8 screws on the fairing and 4-6 on the hard lowers. IF you know how to use a screwdriver you can get rid of 80% of the rattles. I have done it. My 2012 needed a tighten after 25,000 miles.. There are sometimes some 20% rattles under the windshield but those can be addressed as well. it takes a little more than turning a screwdriver but easy to fix as well

·
Registered
204 Posts
My fairing rattles went away with a little weather strip/seal foam tape between the windshield and the mounting bracket it bolts too. My bags rattle a little bit, but that’s fixable too.

The power is there, it’s just different. I came off of a Kawasaki Concours 1400 when I got my XC. The big V-twin can bog down and keep you chugging, but it’ll also “scream” willingly to redline.

Comparing the high revving small displacement V-Twin of the Octane to the big bore 106 is a little silly. The Scout/Octane motor is more comparable to a KTM V-twin. Small displacement, high rpm power band, a bit lacking in the torque department. My g/f and I own a Scout 60 and I am thoroughly impressed with that bike. I've ridden Sportsters and Honda Shadow 750's, and that Scout 60 is by far the most powerful and smoothest running "beginner" bike available in the cruiser market. You don't mind riding higher in the rpm range to have that power on demand feel because its such a smooth little motor.

The 106 on the other hand is a big bore tractor motor, like a big block V8 in a truck. You can lug that thing down under 2000rpm and still have the grunt to carry you over the hill. Compared to similar engines from other makes though (HD 103 and Vulcan 1700, even the Indian 111) its still capable of relatively high rpm shenanigan's. The chassis is also more composed and allows for more lean angle than the competition too. I would honestly say that its about as close to a sport touring bike as you're going to get out of a big V-Twin bagger. Its not going to have the same rush as those big 4+ cylinder toruing bikes like your Venture or a Goldwing, butits got a lot more character from that big rumbly V-twin.

FWIW my touring bike experience goes as follows. KTM 950 Adventure (4,000 miles in 3mos) was replaced with a Vulcan Vaquero (11,000 miles in 11 months including a 1500-in-36), that was replaced with the Kawasaki Concours 1400 (9,000 miles in 9mos including a 1000-in-24), and that was replaced with the Victory Cross Country I have now (29,000 miles in 29 months). I went from the KTM to the Vulcan because I started doing longer trips with my buddies, they all ride HD _____ Glides so it was all slab and the 950 Adventure was just too dirt oriented. The Vulcan was a great bike for the money but lacked in a few areas, especially when compared to the HD's I was riding with. Slightly worse fuel economy combined with a slightly smaller tank meant I was the guy always hunting for fuel. It also had less lean angle so I was constantly dragging parts, without even trying to ride in a spirited nature. Missing the speed and handling of the KTM I traded it for the C14. That bike was a straight rocket, yet still very comfortable for long rides. After a while though I just really missed the V-Twin feel and riding position of Vaquero. I decided I was going to buy my "last" touring bike and that it would be an American made V-twin bagger. The Rushmore Roadglide had just come out and it was top on the list, but before dropping the coin I wanted to give the Victory a try. I was fully expecting to go right back to the HD dealership after testing the Victory, but as soon as I let the clutch out in the parking lot I knew I wanted it. The test ride just confirmed it for me. I rode it home that day.

I also have a Bandit 1250S and Scout Sixty in the stable. The Scout is my g/f's bike and the Bandit is for when I want to really tear up the mountains or just ride like a hooligan for the day.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Here is a fix for the rattles
Gesture Food Nail Font Synthetic rubber

And here is a fix for the power:
Automotive tire Household hardware Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim

I came from riding a VTX1800 so yea the lack of power and noise took some getting use to but glad I stuck it out. Been a great bike and the power is still not like the VTX but it is fairly decent.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Only another Venture rider will understand your loyalty to the smooth 4 cylinder of the Venture.About 1/12 years ago I traded my 02 Venture on a 13 XCT with 16 thousand miles on it.I had decided the top heaviness of the Venture was just too much for my 30 inch inseam.,You could ride very slow in 3rd gear like 20 MPH or easily run 100mph on a stock Venture and the Venture accelerated in a very linear fashion.Not so on a STOCK xct you have to add a tuner ,air filter,timing wheel and dynotune and then you will have a fine daily rider like the Venture.Those upgarades cost me about $950.It can now be done for less with the Maximus tuner.Now when I am at a stop sign my knees are bent and feet flat on the ground and of course the XCT feels much lighter coming off the kick stand.The handling of the XCT is so superior in every way and once bike is tuned you can leave most cruisers in the dust.The storage of the XCT is the most of any touring machine so you can haul much more then Venture or HD.I am 63 years old and this is the only vehicle trade I have ever made and it was a great choice.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It would seem you are a bit late to the party. I loved the XCT after I figured out how not to get run over on it. Quite the adjustment coming off a Goldwing. It was very dramatic at the 5K mark and then again at the 10K during break in. A fuel controller, timing wheel, and air filter also gave it a good boost and a lot of gas mileage. All for about $500 and a little sweat equity. Still, the best rider I think I ever climbed on.
Unfortunately Victory is no more. However timing is kind of good. Yamaha is introducing a new Venture, however it isn't a Royal Star. Too bad. They seem to be using the Road Star engine, or a version of it, and things look promising, after the initial disappointment.
Goldwing is revamped for '18. They are a bit polarizing but so are Victory's. Things look nice on the Wing, but I haven't seen any price points.
Happy shopping.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
One thing people riding a Victory for the first time need to keep in mind. The power isn't down low like some V Twins. Ride it above 2750 Rpm. The sweet spot is from there up. I typically shift somewhere around 3400 rpm give or take. I don't watch the tach. just know it's around there. Even when I've gone on the demo days test rides they told you not to shift below 3400. It isn't going to feel like a V4 or a V6 who would expect it to.

·
Registered
304 Posts
bikes can vary so much, even the same model. I've had two '12 CCT's. The first one got a timing wheel, PC 5, pipes and a dyno tune. Sold it and couldn't stand not having one so bought another in FL. Flew down there to pick it up and took it to Kevin on the way back. It dynoed stock what the other bike did with the goodies on it. I had cams put in the latest one along with the other goodies and it really woke up. Yeah, even in stock form on the way to Kevin's I was impressed with the power. The handling on the first bike was better for some reason. Same tires, same pressures, etc. Not that the newest one handles bad...just not like the first one. Valve train noise varies as well. If you think the 106 is bad...take a listen to an old '92 inch bike. My '02 tcd sounds like an out of control sewing machine! I would sell that old TCD but it is so much fun to ride. It's at 126 torque at the rear wheel at 3800. But with the pipes and wind noise, I always wear ear plugs..don't hear the valve train with those in.

There is a plastic piece on top of the dash that can be rattly. The first bike didn't have an issue. The latest bike did. It'll pop right off.. I put a little duct tape in certain places to tighten it up, popped it back on, and no more rattles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the great replies Guys!! I drive the Old Lady nuts with my tinkering and modifying, so building the engine to perform as I would want would be fun. Been building bikes since the early 70's. All I would need is the factory manual and do some more research into timing wheels, Loylds, fuel controller etc. As lesterlw stated its hard to compared the Ventures V4 to a twin. Buts as the dyno chart showed Me I can get serious power out of the top end. Snowing here today, so the thought of flying to Florida or wherever to pick one up is appealing!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Luckily with the new Maximus tuner you no longer need a timing wheel or to add a piggy back fuel controller.

I've never ridden a V4 bike, the Honda VFR800 has always been appealing to me. I might see if anybody with one wants to trade for my Bandit 1250S come spring time.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I have a magnum with a trunk on it only 18,000 miles on it. But the only rattle I’ve ever heard is if I happen to hit a really large bump I hear something back in the trunk area other then that no rattles at all YET !

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Victory motorcycle was built for The Enthusist, by enthusiasts. The “test-mules” were hotrods and ran STRONG . All production bikes are detuned to pass government restrictions. So, when I hear people complain about stock performance, and how their older bike runs stronger than a Victory, my “newbie” radar sounds the alarm! Let’s be real... the Victory 106 is a beast. Just feed it some red meat, and ignore what the nanny-state guidelines have hindered. My 2003 Vegas smokes the Octane. And that’s because the Octane is an “entry-level” model. Does the Octane have potential for performance upgrade...sure. But so does the 106!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.