Test Ride of Cross Country | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Test Ride of Cross Country

Discussion in 'Welcome to TheVOG.net Forum' started by Sutherland, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Sutherland

Sutherland Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    08 Kingpin/2013 CCT
    Finally got to take a ride on one of the new Victory bikes Sat. A Peak Power Sports, thanks to the staff.
    First let me say if I was buying a new bike the Cross Country would be my choice,
    Do I need one, NO, Would I like to own one YES.
    After reading other comments about this bike, good and bad this is what I thing
    This bike seems and feels as lightas my 08 Kingpin, handles very good (as far as were we went for test ride)
    It has plenty of get-up and go, and yes the rev limiter works,
    The wind issue is there by I did not mind a speeds of 90 KMS, my glasses were not moving like some peoples were,
    I have a fairing with a 5" shield and I do not get the wind the way I did on this bike, that been said the cross does not give wind the way my does from the lower area, this is the way the Wide Open Customs fairing works, not a flaw, designed to allow wind to travel that way.
    I believe the windshield angle is the cause of the problem, as it lays down and back at a lower angle thanthe one on my KP. I would make a little adjustment to it by backing off screws on shield and place a rubber washer on the top screwsbetween the shield and mounting bracket, given this a try to see if it makes a difference, if so I would tinker a little more with it till I got it right, I thing a taller windshield would take away some of the looks of this bike.
    My $0.002 worth
    Regards

2. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour
    having a WOC fairing on my Kingpin for 15,000 miles and now a Cross owner I find the Cross fairing to be much more effective for wind protection especially the hands and mid section.

The wind I hear so many people complain about seems to come through the engine guards whether be by design or error.

I unlike many don't find this to be unpleasant but being on a motorcycle feeling.

3. Sutherland

08 Kingpin/2013 CCT

Don't know what shield you had on your WOCfairing or what you have on your CC, but I can tell you that the 5" I have on my WOC fairing stops a lot more wind over the top than the CC did on my ride Sat., in this respect the WOC is superior to the CC shield.
    I was not the only one to ride this bike over the weekend for test runs and ever rider that rode said the same thing about wind over the top of shield with many complaining about how much there glasses were moving from this
    Regards

4. The_Captain

The_Captain Active Member

For those of us who have experienced the wind over the shield, you may have a good idea about the angle. I am gonna try that washer trick and I have the aftermarket 15" windshield.

5. dsjr70

dsjr70 Well-Known Member

08 Vegas Low x 2, Vegas LE # 001, Cross Roads LE # 001, High Ball, Vegas 8-Ball, Cross Country, Vision, Cross Roads

Ugg, I hate to comment on this... But I cant help myself...lol
    Sutherland,
    Have there been many complaints of wind problems on the Cross Country? I road both and really found the buffeting to be acceptable by my standards. The Cross Roads to me was horrible in the stock configuration but I road a second one with lowers and it was a nice ride.
    No point... Just saying :)
    Don

6. Sutherland

08 Kingpin/2013 CCT

Don,
    On the day I was out there were complaints about wind over the top of shield on the cross country, just about everbody I talked too said the say about this, the bike had the short shield on it.
    I to could handle the wind, and again we only made it to 95 to100 KMS ( 55 to 60 Miles per hour) didn't mind it, as I had a pretty good pair of glasses on made by Pyramex I think, bought a outdoor store, came with three lens, they are made for ATV use, only $35.00 a set.
    If you were driving the speed limet all the time the wind would not be a problem, IMO, my concern would be with bad weather and bugs, I know that this is part of biking, but people put fairings on to avoid this problem, with the wind over the top the way it is I can see been plastered with both when it happens.
    Captian let me know if you find any change with washers, remember it is only the top part of shield that I think needs to bechange, mor up-right
    Regards

7. dsjr70

dsjr70 Well-Known Member

08 Vegas Low x 2, Vegas LE # 001, Cross Roads LE # 001, High Ball, Vegas 8-Ball, Cross Country, Vision, Cross Roads

Sutherland,
    How tall are you? That might make a big difference, I am a short butt...lol
    Don

8. Gossamer

I started with a 10" clear then went to one their 'formed windshields' which actually was quite capable. However there's no comparison to the protection afforded by the WOC to the Cross fairing(IMHO). I even added 'freedom wings' to the fairing lowers which helped quite a bit as well. I'd attach some photos but for some reason I can't find them with the SPAW manager??

9. Gossamer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sutherland

08 Kingpin/2013 CCT

I am 5' 9" and I agree this will make a little difference, but as I said I only have 5" on my WOC and it gives better wind protection than te CC did
    Regards

11. Bigmex

Bigmex Member

I went with the Gustfsson windscreen +2 with a lip/spoiler (euro flip). I'm 5'11'' and it worked at all speeds. Did a 100 mile trip (75-75mph)with the stereo on 14 and I could hear everything. If you are taller than 6'01'' I would go the next size up. Now I would like to have the Freedom Wings on my XC. I believe this would cut out allot of up ward wind from the tank/leg area..