VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
View attachment 493829 I moved from northern NH to northeast
TN for the climate, low taxes, retirement and riding great roads.

Since I have been here (10 months) I have realized some of the dumbest people on earth are given drivers licenses here. I personally have had several near death experiences with drivers crossing completely into my lane, pulling out, passing on corners, passing over the double yellow, and cutting blind corners.

In 10 months, within 2 miles of my home 2 motorcyclists have been killed.
Saturday, the passenger on a bike was killed by an ambulance driven by morons who committed one of the aforementioned acts--and not reroute to an accident.
My son happened to be there.

I have been in states where drivers were rude, aggressive, angry, or impatient --here, they are STUPID. They lack basic common sense skills.

TN is in the top 8, and right now leads the nation in motorcycle fatalities.
It is terrible here.
I witness accidents on a weekly basis. Helicopters landing for an airlift is a common occurance. Many accidents involve a single vehicle.

NH has FAR superior drivers, as do all the New England states I frequented.

What gives? Driving in East TN is really terrifying at times and I am most secure in my 6000 lb diesel truck.

Tennessee fares badly in motorcycle fatalities data - The Tomahawk - Mountain City, Tennessee

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I reckon the increased skill required to drive on snow covered roads has something to do with northern drivers being a little more adept at driving, although I see the same dumbassery in PA any more too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's just accepted behavior in that area. I know that sounds ridiculous, but if cops handed out way more tickets for dumb****ery it would trend downward. Beautiful area with awesome roads, but some of the dumbest people in our great nation. **** tons of meth heads and pill heads, very little education, very low expectations of people. Great place to visit for the sights, terrible place to move to. Sorry to say that, but it is what it is. You're among the impoverished idiot hill folk. I wouldn't say that if I didn't have family there and a solid familiarity. Move before you get run over. The term "hillbilly" exists for a reason, and now they're all jacked up on prescription pills and mountain dew (instead of just moonshine.)

I'm sure that offends some people, but if you're smart enough to be offended by it you should be familiar with the large number of people around you that are exactly what I just described. I wasn't talking to you (/Costanza)

Reactions: bungln

·
Registered
879 Posts
You can't fix stupid!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Having lived in eight states the last 15 years (Tennessee being one very briefly), I can say confidently that ALL states have their fare share of idiot drivers. And it comes down to the ME FIRST attitude our society has adopted. "I'm late, get out of my way" "I'm the most important person on the road, I'll drive how I want" "Its my road, move over". No patience, no empathy, no consideration of others, and no desire to follow the rules that were set forth for everyone's safety. I was nearly hit head on just yesterday in a blind curve (in my four wheeled transportation device) because the oncoming driver had over half his car across the center line into my lane, and the other driver flipped me the bird like it was my fault! Not the first time something like that has happened, and not just here. Its everywhere.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Sadly, I consider all the issues you mentioned as just "normal". Especially in high motorcycle trafic area's like where you live now. Between tourists looking at everything but the road, locals in a hurry going to and from work that claim both sides of the road in the twisties and bikers from the flatland that get out of the depths it's a tough world out there.

The mural of the sport bike riders in the area that lost their lives at an early age on the store at the crossroads of the Snake is a sober reminder.

Been to your area twice so far this year. Hope to go one more time. One of these days I am going to run in to you but not head on I hope, lol.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I've been here nearly 4 years and I can say it is pretty bad but it seems to be this way most places I travel to as well.

@lou8700 hit the nail on the head. And Lou I hope to meet up next time as well. @notaharley how have we not met up yet lol?

Reactions: lou8700

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Virginia is no better. (I grew up in Maine) I could not possibly list all the abject idiocy that I witness here daily- but I will attempt a few highlights.

Polite to a fault. No one follows the rules about right of way. They all just stop and sit there looking stupid and waving the other to go first. For like an hour.

"Parent" syndrome. They sit in the left lane @ or below the speed limit. (FYI- Has been a violation for years- but not enforced at all. VA just passed a new $250 max fine for this- but I doubt anyone is getting cited) Other variations too- 10 MPH below, etc. Just the overall attitude that they dictate the flow of traffic.

No lane discipline- at all. People are rarely in the lane they should be when an exit, or really any turn is coming up for them. Last minute cut off, stopping in the lane to wait for an opening...

Merging onto the highway. It's apparently just not possible around here. Some of them literally come to a complete stop. On the entrance ramp. Seriously.

Rubberneckers. I think we need a dedicated A-10 squadron to deal with these drivers. Label them targets of opportunity. Only thing is those Mavericks leave a hella big hole..

Scratch that- let's go with Apaches. They carry Hellfires. These can get the job done without a lot of collateral damage. Ever notice that? Hellfire will vaporize a car with barely a pothole remaining.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
In a word, "Moonshine" . . .

People are driving their cars on the road like they drive their ATVs in the woods.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I moved from northern NH to northeast
TN for the climate, low taxes, retirement and riding great roads.

Since I have been here (10 months) I have realized some of the dumbest people on earth are given drivers licenses here. I personally have had several near death experiences with drivers crossing completely into my lane, pulling out, passing on corners, passing over the double yellow, and cutting blind corners.

In 10 months, within 2 miles of my home 2 motorcyclists have been killed.
Saturday, the passenger on a bike was killed by an ambulance driven by morons who committed one of the aforementioned acts--and not reroute to an accident.
My son happened to be there.

I have been in states where drivers were rude, aggressive, angry, or impatient --here, they are STUPID. They lack basic common sense skills.

TN is in the top 8, and right now leads the nation in motorcycle fatalities.
It is terrible here.
I witness accidents on a weekly basis. Helicopters landing for an airlift is a common occurance. Many accidents involve a single vehicle.

NH has FAR superior drivers, as do all the New England states I frequented.

What gives? Driving in East TN is really terrifying at times and I am most secure in my 6000 lb diesel truck.

Tennessee fares badly in motorcycle fatalities data - The Tomahawk - Mountain City, Tennessee
cause, they're all on meth!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
if I was a cop I would ticket every damn person that is drivin and, using a cell phone. shown to be many times worse than drunk driving. [as we all probly know] but when a wreck happens because of this, and happens to involve a mc. they don't hesitate to mention whether the m.c. operator had a helmet on or not.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Having lived in eight states the last 15 years (Tennessee being one very briefly), I can say confidently that ALL states have their fare share of idiot drivers. And it comes down to the ME FIRST attitude our society has adopted. "I'm late, get out of my way" "I'm the most important person on the road, I'll drive how I want" "Its my road, move over". No patience, no empathy, no consideration of others, and no desire to follow the rules that were set forth for everyone's safety. I was nearly hit head on just yesterday in a blind curve (in my four wheeled transportation device) because the oncoming driver had over half his car across the center line into my lane, and the other driver flipped me the bird like it was my fault! Not the first time something like that has happened, and not just here. Its everywhere.
man, ive got a step- daughter that is developmentally disabled, has the midset of a 13,or 14 yr. old girl. but she has a drivers license!! and I STILL cant believe they gave her one, took the test, flunked it at least 3 or 4 times. finally they just more or less gave her a d.l. ugh!!!!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha!!!
JudgeRedd, BrandonM7 --- Sounds like you've been here!! I had to laugh as you described my neighbors here, haha.
YES! They sit at GREEN lights forever with a dumb look on their face. Unbelievable.
Yes-- NO IDEA what lane to be in.

They actually think cutting corners on windy roads is a GOOD idea-- so much so, that the police were running an ad campaign to stop it!

Listen to this --- people here were putting on the same turn signal as the car in front of them to "help out" the car behind.....this resulted in 3 or sometimes 4 cars ALL driving with a turn signal on, but only one turning.....which caused many accidents!
The cops were running ads in the paper trying to counteract this behaviour.

Yeah--- Meth. The women use it for weight loss (seriously) and yes, moonshine is made all over this valley.

The point is---
I am seeing bikers die. I lived in NH, and what was rare there, is accepted here.

Tailgating-- another issue.

Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sadly, I consider all the issues you mentioned as just "normal". Especially in high motorcycle trafic area's like where you live now. Between tourists looking at everything but the road, locals in a hurry going to and from work that claim both sides of the road in the twisties and bikers from the flatland that get out of the depths it's a tough world out there.

The mural of the sport bike riders in the area that lost their lives at an early age on the store at the crossroads of the Snake is a sober reminder.

Been to your area twice so far this year. Hope to go one more time. One of these days I am going to run in to you but not head on I hope, lol.
Tell me when you're coming!

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I've been here nearly 4 years and I can say it is pretty bad but it seems to be this way most places I travel to as well.
I commute almost daily on two wheels and I usually nearly get hit at least once a week; either by being side swiped, me t-boneing, or rear ending someone because they aren't paying attention or they think they have a right to slow me down or cut me off. I try to stay in the lane furthest from entrances but no one turns in their own lane anyhow or they will turn out with three lanes to choose from and swerve between all three until they are happy with their choice. On the highway if they have their blinker on they are allowed over no matter their speed (not a problem if they are traveling faster), your speed or lane placement at the time. Will try to cut across three lanes to turn left and stop in the third until it's safe for them to make a left turn. It's like playing dodge ball down here sometimes.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
There is no shortage of idiots in ANY state. I suspect that the OPs prime location and destination for motorcyclist has some to do with the amount of fatalities.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Haha!!!
JudgeRedd, BrandonM7 --- Sounds like you've been here!! I had to laugh as you described my neighbors here, haha.
YES! They sit at GREEN lights forever with a dumb look on their face. Unbelievable.
Yes-- NO IDEA what lane to be in.

They actually think cutting corners on windy roads is a GOOD idea-- so much so, that the police were running an ad campaign to stop it!

Listen to this --- people here were putting on the same turn signal as the car in front of them to "help out" the car behind.....this resulted in 3 or sometimes 4 cars ALL driving with a turn signal on, but only one turning.....which caused many accidents!
The cops were running ads in the paper trying to counteract this behaviour.

Yeah--- Meth. The women use it for weight loss (seriously) and yes, moonshine is made all over this valley.

The point is---
I am seeing bikers die. I lived in NH, and what was rare there, is accepted here.

Tailgating-- another issue.

Thanks for listening!
Believe me, I know.

I have two wildly popular/unpopular opinions on it (about 50/50, so here's hoping I don't get banned for posting it.)

Most people don't realize just how much poverty there is in the Appalachians. It is a horribly depressed area economically, and has been for a long time. Some are lucky enough to still work in coal mines, some work in the service industry thanks to tourism, but a lot just live off the milk their goats make and government assistance. It's an awful situation.

Before this gets started, a little background on me. I grew up poor in central GA. My parents were really smart but in an unfortunate situation, my sister and I are decently intelligent, and our parents spent as much time with us as possible teaching and guiding us. I feel comfortable talking about this because it has been my whole life. Think of me as the Jane Goodall of the Southeast to some degree. The next paragraph is what the SJW types might not like...

What two things are very frequently missing from really poor families? Education and dad. Who taught you to drive? For most people it was dad. How did you learn the rules of the road? Again, for most people it was dad combined with that little booklet the State Patrol office offered telling you the rules of the road and/or driver's ed classes if you were so lucky to have them and were still in school. If both of those are largely absent in your area how can you expect the drivers to know anything about driving? I taught three people to drive when I was a delivery driver at a parts store as a kid - they had no idea about any of it. None of the rules about stop signs, no grasp at all of physics in general. It was horrifying. These were adults. Poorly educated, barely raised by their parent, full grown adults. I'm not even sure they could read - I know one couldn't. How would that person just instinctively understand why there are multiple lanes and what they should use each for? More importantly, how did these people get a driver's license?!?!? One of them didn't have one, and I took her to her test and let her take it in the delivery truck - actually kind of proud of that one. The other two had learner's permits I can only assume they were awarded after randomly checking boxes on the written test and being lucky enough to got 60% or more correct. In large pockets of poverty you have horrible drivers - I don't believe it's a coincidence. In those same areas you also have a lot of "**** it." They don't care what happens to you or anyone else, because they're tired and don't really care about anything. Don't come on their property, though - they'll probably shoot you for that, or at least threaten to...even though they're probably renting that trailer from someone else...

Sorry, that's my rant about my own people. I'm being genuine when I say move. I know you just moved there, but getting killed by an idiot probably sucks - I haven't heard from anyone that has had it happen to them, but I'm guessing that it sucks. There are some areas in Alabama that aren't 100% poverty/idiot stricken that are still in the foothills of the Appalachians (good roads) and good tax benefits.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.