VOG Forum banner

temperature gauge

6K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  Swedeflyer 
#1 ·

Have any of you guys noticed that the temp is usually 5-8 degrees off? i dont know why they even put the thing on there? In all the vehicles i have owned, the temp is spot on. i asked the dealer about it and he said it's how they all are. i think that is a lame solution.

he walked over and turned a few on in the showroom and one said 85, one said 83, and the one he had outside said 78. seriously, what is the point? 8 degrees is a big difference when you are outside. anyone else have this problem or have a solution?

#28 ·
You guys crack me up....thanks for the humor!

#29 ·
I have to say that the responses here funny. I am glad it's just a friendly ribbing about the topic. I find mine to be pretty accurate in cold temps but it is a few degrees higher when the sun is baking on the fairing. (That has not been the case lately in Seattle!) I suspect the ambient temp sensor is somewhere under the fairing. I have looked through the repair manual quickly but have not found it yert. Anyone know where it is.

#30 ·
james1cc said:
Hey MBC2237, Did you ever find a fix for the higher than actual ambient temp reading on your XC? I live in Utah, bought my bike 5 months ago and have ridden in 20 to 80 degree temps from January to now May. My guage reads around 8 degrees high when sitting and 5 degrees high when riding regardless of whether its in the 20's or 70's here. Talked with the lead service guy and got a shrug and raised eyebrows similar to your dealer tech experience!?! Just curious if you found any fix? Obviously we all can fix the time on our clocks per the owner's manual, but the dealers don't seem to know of any calibration to sync the faulty higher temp displayed with actual ambient temp... Of course I love my XC and I somewhat agree with others this is only a minor subtle nuisance with the bike, but if I could fix this miniscule issue, the bike would rate in my book from perfect to exceptional!!! Please let me know if you ever found a fix? Thanks!
I don't look at it anymore. Never found a fix and anyone I have talked to about it makes a lame joke. -1 to retarded jokes. Good luck and if you ever do find a fix, look me up or find the post again and let me know!

#31 ·
I have ridden harleys for years and same thing never correct temp. I did find the sensor on the harley and moved it all around with no change. You ask any of the harley riders and they will tell you like us its a joke. Just a cheap gag it so we buy the bike. It would have been a shame for them to put a compass in. Himm I wounder if it would have been right.

#34 ·
I bought a premium machine (tour premium) and would like all things to work properly. I get annoyed that paying top price doesn't buy quality. If penny pinching accountants rule when buying components i will be looking elsewhere next time and answers like the dealer saying they are all like that does not cut it with me. By the way I think my temp gauge is good and so is the oil dip stick temp gauge. To really test you would need to try it against a calibrated gauge. Does anybody know where the sensor is for the temp gauge. There is also a bit of chest beating going on at the home front as I brag about my Vision Premium and all its features against my dear lady wife and her Avant-Guard Benz. All in good fun

#36 ·
mpb0714 said:
The temp sensor is located in the Farring on the left side, and on the Black CC's the temp is always high. I moved the sensor on mine to the lower triple tree and put it in clean air and its fine now.
Makes sense... my XC is white/silver and that might explain why it seems more accurate. Next time I have the fairing off, I might consider moving mine also as it seems to read higher after sitting in the sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.