VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Have any of you guys noticed that the temp is usually 5-8 degrees off? i dont know why they even put the thing on there? In all the vehicles i have owned, the temp is spot on. i asked the dealer about it and he said it's how they all are. i think that is a lame solution.

he walked over and turned a few on in the showroom and one said 85, one said 83, and the one he had outside said 78. seriously, what is the point? 8 degrees is a big difference when you are outside. anyone else have this problem or have a solution?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
i've noticed mine off when it's sitting outside stationary, especially in the sun. However when moving it's been pretty close to accurate. I remember a few years back relocating the sensor on my pickup to a more open location to make it more accurate.

Anyone know where ours are located?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Just turning a bike on in the showroom isnt really a good reference for the temp gauge. The bike needs to equalize to the ambient temps. On my bike its pretty close, at least when i ride past banks and stuff the #s are withing 2 degrees every time.
I know some people that have put on the handlebar thermometers that are much more accurate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know where the sensor is, but I suspect it's close to the motor. I've noticed mine is off by a good bit after idling for a bit.....but once I start moving and have good air flow, it drops in line with other sources.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine, when sitting, can be as much as 12 degrees off. and you guys are right, once i start riding it get's much closer but the closest it has even been is 4 degrees off. Yea, it's not the end of the world but when something is supposed to work i want it to…OR it would be fine with me to just not have it on the screen. i'd rather see a compass there anyway.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

mbc2237 said:
mine, when sitting, can be as much as 12 degrees off. and you guys are right, once i start riding it get's much closer but the closest it has even been is 4 degrees off. Yea, it's not the end of the world but when something is supposed to work i want it to…OR it would be fine with me to just not have it on the screen. i'd rather see a compass there anyway.
How do you know it's 4 degrees off? Every Bank I pass is always wrong. Lots of hub bub over petty stuff IMO. What would you do differently in your live if there wasthat 4 degree swing?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
mbc2237 said:
i'd rather see a compass there anyway.
a compass would be nice since I know when I'm hot or cold, but not always sure which way I'm going. Than again I never saw the warning of Caution ICE when riding in colder temperatures either like my car tells me.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

bubba said:
mbc2237 said:
How do you know it's 4 degrees off? Every Bank I pass is always wrong. Lots of hub bub over petty stuff IMO. What would you do differently in your live if there wasthat 4 degree swing?
i have looked at my truck temp and that is always right on PLUS i have the weather.comapp as well as wunderground.com and checked that in lots of different locations. and yes, some banks are off. but when you pass 10 and they have the same temp…you can pretty much assume it's close.

and again, i will make it through today AND tomorrow and hopefully the next day with my temperature gauge being off, but as i was saying before…mine IS off and i was just asking if others were. If they can make them accurate in vehicles, they can do it on the bike. AND like i mentioned before, if it isn't right, fine, but i dont want to have wrong info as the largest thing on the screen all the time.

i'm also curious to know what makes this petty? thanks for the reply all the same though :)

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
MBC, there must be somewhere that the Dealer can adjust the 4 degrees for ya.Personally if I had your bike, the tempwould be very low on my list of concerns. Might not make my list. That's just me. Ride safe!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hell, I'd trade it off! Who could stand to ride a bike that didn't agree with a bank thermomater. Heck, I bet if you look hard enough your clock doesn't agree with some of them either! PALEASE! You'd probably ***** if hung with a new rope!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

Tim40245 said:
Hell, I'd trade it off! Who could stand to ride a bike that didn't agree with a bank thermomater. Heck, I bet if you look hard enough your clock doesn't agree with some of them either! PALEASE! You'd probably ***** if hung with a new rope!
Be nice!! Now you are sounding like me......one of me is enough!! :0

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made it 6 months on this forum without the smartass comments by people with so much time on their hands they scan for posts that they don't care about in order to make jokes, that seem like comedic gold as they are typed, really aren't.

Once again, thank you to the people who actually post meaningful comments. oh, and also to the ones that were bullied as a child.

It's funny though, i didn't know i was on a harley forum this whole time.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

No need to get your pants in a wad. It is after all, a motorcycle.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bubba said:
No need to get your pants in a wad. It is after all, a motorcycle.
I don't wear pants. NOW you can see why 4+ degrees makes such a difference!

anyway, i'm over this thread. i was just curious and the moment is more than past.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

This thread is funny...
Ya, mine seems to read about 4-5 degrees warmer than it really is.. Even when moving.. It don't bother me none. I think my clock is seta couple minutes off too!!!
DANG IT!!!
Hahaha,
WW

·
Registered
28 Posts
Two things come to mind -

move the sensor to another location further from the engine

sometimes the factory guys put a little piece of foam around the sensor for shipping and the dealer tech forgets to remove it

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.