Tell me why (or why not) I should move to TN.... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Tell me why (or why not) I should move to TN....

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by notaharley, Mar 15, 2017.

1. notaharley

notaharley Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    VISION, BABY!
    The wife and I explored the east side of TN -- the smokies felt like home. She's a VT girl, and I'm from here. Love northern NH. Love the woods. Sailing, fishing, horses, a big garden...woods. 50 acres. Can't see a neighbor anywhere I look.

Property tax through the roof ($7000) and.....SNOW. Like, I'm all done. Skied and boarded thousands of days. Had my fun. Don't want to do it any more. Bike locked up for nearly 6 months.

I could use some help. How much rain? Bad areas....good areas? Kinda liked the areas on the edge of the Smokies...Shady Valley looked nice...Van Buren county... I don't want to make a huge mistake.

Should I build or look for used? I have never lived in a used house before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    I don't know anything about TN, but I moved away from the snow and cold (MI) many years ago. Never regretted it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. K1ll3m@LL

[email protected] Well-Known Member

2011 Victory Cross Country
    Just don't come to Florida, we have to many old A-holes already, lol.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision
    I have only ever driven through and never lived there but I bet it will be a lot like other places. Any popular spot is going to be more expensive than less popular places, especially near any semi-large city. To me that means that places near the smokies bike riding locations will be more costly than other places only 10 miles from them. I certainly can sympathize with your PMS but even where I am in central Illinois we don't often get enough snow to limit my riding. I do stop these days, as a retired person, when temperatures drop much below freezing but when I was working full time I often rode to work at 20ºF in order to have the bike to ride home on in the warmer afternoons. A far as temperatures and snow, you can treat 1000 feet of elevation as several hundred miles further north and get a fair idea. Even when I lived in southern California I could look out the window in winter and see snow on the coastal range mountains so try to keep elevation in mind while you are looking.

5. Steve F

Steve F Member

2012 Jackpot
    You can marry yer purdy cousin?
    Lol, I couldn't resist. And yes I know your already hitched.
    I've thought moving down that way would be awesome, love visiting Gatlinburg. My worries are jobs, older parents and Bears, they have bears. I don't have bears here in St. Louis.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2017 Victory Cross Country
    Stay out of the cities and you really can't go wrong anywhere in Eastern TN. I accepted a job here a little over 2 years ago. I like it here. Rainfall is typical for the South yet we did have a record breaking drought last year.... Take some time to vacation near the Gatlinburg area and check things out.

The edge of the Smokies is a great place and that covers a lot of area.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. WeekendRider

WeekendRider Active Member

2013 Cross Country
    If you or your wife have an aversion to snakes you may not want to move to TN. My wife was born and raised in south central TN and "got the hell out of there" (her words not mine) as soon as she could. She hate snakes, can't even watch them on TV. If we were walking in the grass and she saw a snake not even Usain Bolt could keep up with her. I must admit, when we are down there they seem to be everywhere.

8. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2017 Victory Cross Country
    Still haven't seen a bear. I'm disappointed.

9. FredE

FredE Active Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Lets not forget those tornados folks...lol

10. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    If you voted for taxes and levies stay up there because you've soiled your own bed, but if you didn't your welcome to go to another place because you won't mess it up for everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. tree1979

tree1979 Well-Known Member

2007 Victory Kingpin
    Eastern TN, Western NC, and northern GA are all great places. They still get cold because of elevation. Bears are Black Bears and don't get too big, and won't mess with you if you don't mess with them. Go down to the SE Victory Rally in Helen, GA and you can visit the area for a week. Lot of good riding. Land isn't cheap, but not sure its cheap anywhere. The area between Asheville, NC and Johnson City TN is beautiful. Not sure of the job situation in that area, and would depend on what you are looking for. GA is expensive to register and tag vehicles each year. Only lived there a year. Haven't live in TN, but rented a house in Kingsport, TN for a few months (long story). If you want seclusion, there are a lot of areas that fit that bill in that general area. Cold in winter, and hot in summer (really, visit the rally in June and you'll see what it is like as it is just beginning to get hot). Love the area myself.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    Not enough snow for you?

13. pella cholla

pella cholla Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour

Yeah you did. When you guys had a professional football team and Chicago would show your team how football is supposed to be played

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. pella cholla

pella cholla Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour
    You could move to Nashville and see a real hockey team when the Chicago Blackhawks come to visit and their team gear isn't nasty mustard yellow!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. JudgeRedd

JudgeRedd Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Judge (RIP)
    ^^^ Perfect.

Tennesee, NC, WV, the whole Appalachian range is a Biker's paradise with respect to the sheer volume of roads that range from mild to super technical.

Winter is most DEFINITELY still a factor, but shorter overall per annum than New England. Some snow- nothing like a typical Maine winter. Still cold though. Also- southern states a. do not invest in snow removal equipment like the northern states b. don't really know how to use it effectively. c. both.. So when a big snow hits- it's a little more of a calamity. A few roads at higher altitudes are simply closed in winter- not going to be cleared at all.

• Like Like x 2