VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the temps dropping up here, forcasting morning frost, it takes ages to warm up to and to get off high idle.
Question
Victory's Oil Cooler, is it thermostatically controlled?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It does not make sense that I would be thermostatically controlled unless there is some sort of a recirulation system installed. An oil cooled system cannot be restricted like athermostially controlled liquid cooled system can be.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
if i'm remembering correctly it is controlled internally not so much for temperature control but where the oil flows to and when it's needed to.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Again referring to the service manual for the XC I can see no thermostat in the oil system. Yes there are 2 pressure relief valves, one for the lubrication circuit and one for the cooling circuit, but no indication of any temperature sensing and subsequent flow control. As well there is no mention of temperature sensing capabilities of the pressure relief valves.

With cold oil requiring more pressure to move, it is possible for the relief valve to open thus bypassing the oil cooler. I guess in a way this is indirectly temperature controlled flow.

Of course this could be entirely different on an 06 Vegas.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cuddles said:
So, not to belabour the point One Thumb but apparently thereIS A thermostat controller in the oil pump (serving pretty much the same function as the thermostat in your car controlling cooling fluids) recirculating theoil in a smaller loop and preventing itfrom entering the entire cooling system until it reaches an optimal operating temperature.
Although we live in colder climes it has always been a best practice to start your engine and operate at slower speeds until the engine and vehicle warms up. The engine oil warms up more quickly then if you just sit and idle. This is probably heathier forthe powerchain when it is cold too.
I'll stop now because I'm now stating the obvious.
Thanks for the info, I was just wondering if the Vic engines had some sort temp control within there oil circulation system. I have noticed more engine noise as the temps drop. I also let it warm up longer be I go riding.
Cuddles you have been answering a lot more threads latley, soon you'll be telling us all how you got that nickname. LOL
OT
PS: I'm looking for a new riding partner too, my other one jumped ship bikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.