VOG Forum banner

Taking my first steps

2475 15
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I wanted to share my excitement as I am getting ready to fly to South Dakota to pick up my first Victory Vision and ride it home to Fort Worth, Texas.

I recently retired after 20+ years as a firefighter and to honor a promise to my wife when we married to move closer to her family and friends, relocated to the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

This purchase represents a retirement/50th birthday gift to myself. After over 27,000 emergency calls and 50 years of life, I think deserve it.

I had a Ninja 600 back in 86 for a year but sold it before moving to Louisiana. If you know anything about driving stats there you'd understand. I hope I haven'toffended anyone by that statement but the numbers don't lie. I still love you Louisiana!

I am so excited about this trip that I am nervous or I should say that I am just really pumped up. I've done an enormous amount of research on this bike after seeing it for the first time maybe 1.5 months ago.

It was about 2am when I stopped at a light and looked over to see the most unusual bike I had ever seen. It was SO COOL! I found myself staring so I rolled my window down and asked the couple "what is that thing!" We ended up talking there at that light for about 15 minutes all the long with cheesy grins on our faces as they just went on and on about their fantastic bike. I hope they weren't in a hurry! It was then that I knew that I had to have one for myself.

I picked up a 2008 Vision Tour Premium. I'll head west into Wyoming and turn south through Colorado, New mexico and then east into Texas. The views should be fantastic and I'll be serenaded by the sound of that V twin and tunes from ipod. WHEW! I can't wait!!!!!

I would appreciate any advice from you guys that will make my ride a save and wonderful experience. Thanks for listening.

Darryn
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hope you have a great time ridin' her back home. Pictures...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sounds like you have a great plan! I wish that I could go with you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts

+1 on the feet up. I knew all about it and still got my ankle... Adjust your windshield at different speeds to keep the buffetting to a minimum. If you have lower deflectors, get used to using them.
Most of all, dont fall asleep when you put the cruise on and have Sinatra playing on the iPod...
Good Luck and be Safe...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It was raining when I got there Saturday so they gave me a company truck to find a hotel(next door) and eat. They were closed on Sunday but a guy gave me his cell number and told me to call him whenever I woke up and he would come open the shop for me. That's customer service!

It rained hard all night but had stopped by about 630am. Hit the road about 830. Rode through Spearfish Canyon and into Black forest National Park. Wow. Wet roads but beautiful. Temperature dropped before long to 42 degrees with snow on the side of the road and I was feeling the bite. Found this small mom and pop shop that had some neck warmers that hooked me up. I was cool after that.

After the Black Forest I headed into Wyoming and then after a while turned south into Colorado. What can you say about the beauty of those places. Wide open landscapes, cattle, horses, buffalo,mountains .... it was way too cool.

I stayed at my cousins spot in Denver for the night. I rode over 400 miles, experienced heavy rain(didn't get wet), high wind advisories and snow. Battle tested! I was happy as ****!

The next day was the best one. Sun and warm temps throughout! Colorado and New Mexico were beautiful! Just me and the rode all to myself for hundreds of miles. I put down 560 miles that day! Wasn't tired at all. Could have gone longer but it was 9p so I shut it down.

Got up early Tuesday and took it on in.

This bike performed like a dream. That's all I can say. Comfort and power forever. It was pure joy. I actually haven't had this much fun in years. I wish I had about a week or two.There were several places that I just wanted to stop or roads that I wanted to turn on and explore.

I can't wait to do it again!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
YUP that pretty much is how I felt about my 8 ball vision when I first rode it and when I wasn't riding I just gawked at it .If you change out the pipes and remouve the trunk, you will have an even more pleasurable bike and better looking...welcome aboard

·
Registered
99 Posts

Hi Darryn,
How exciting! Sounds like you had a great experience!
"It was pure joy. I actually haven't had this much fun in years. I wish I had about a week or two.There were several places that I just wanted to stop or roads that I wanted to turn on and explore."
What part of "Retirement" don't you understand? LOL
Lots of luck and happy trails to you!

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts
Nessie044 said:
Welcome to the family, brother. Justthree pieces of advice:
+1 with Loch-Nessie, except my 3 pieces of advice are:
1. Gas it up
2 Ride it empty
3. Repeat!
Psych,,,,
,,,doesn't this bike make you remember those first couple years of riding when you were a kid??? with cops chasing you all over Baltimore? cuz no short 13yo should be riding a CB650 on the sidewalk???,,,oh never mind that was me,,,
The feel of this ride does make boys out of men though doesn't it?
KG

·
Registered
714 Posts
keithgrey said:
Nessie044 said:
Psych,,,,
,,,doesn't this bike make you remember those first couple years of riding when you were a kid??? with cops chasing you all over Baltimore? cuz no short 13yo should be riding a CB650 on the sidewalk???,,,oh never mind that was me,,,
KG
LMFAO! I remember those days, getting chased by the cops while riding a Honda 70 on the sidewalk and street. They finally threated to impound the scoot.
Now - life is good.

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts
SofaKingBlue said:
keithgrey said:
Nessie044 said:
Psych,,,,
KG
LMFAO! I remember those days, getting chased by the cops while riding a Honda 70 on the sidewalk and street. They finally threated to impound the scoot.
Now - life is good.
Sorry for the HiJack Mr. Musketeer but,,,,,,
Ahh, those were the days!!!!!! Getting the clubMechanic drunk on Richards, so I could sneak out somebody's Triumph (without the seat) and run it empty while riding with no lights sitting on my Jacket in December!!
A string and clothes pin for a Drum Brake cable on a "God Knows what it is POS"!!!
Gophering around the REAL bikers at 14yo so they would let me take their bikes to the gas station for fuel and air in their leaky tires, so they didn't have to come out of the Garage during daylight when the cops could see them!!
My wife had no idea why I bought the new bike instead of putting up a garage first!!
Commitment!!, thats whatseperates the Rider from folks who just Drive.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had my first real accident when I was 15 yrs. old in Montreal subburbs at night going the wrong way on a one way street thought it was funny NO STOP sign ----Bang smashed up my Honda 750 and the car, only flipped up onto the car roof, didn't feel a thing not hurt a bit except the police were coming and I had NO drivers licence of any kind.My dad showed up to take me home ...Can't tell you how I got away with it,but I can tell you it would be different today. Funny how some people have been killed or mammed in exactly the same accident that did nothing to me .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You cats are too cool! I never had a 70cc but I did have a Ninja 600 the year they came out and outran a many cops! Zoom into my alley in DC, park, run upstairs and listen to them come around the corner! That was around 1985 and I was 24-25y/o. They were so fast and I was sooo.....stupid....no.....invincible......no.....HAPPY! Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dartagman, welcome to the site and to the ride. I had a similar experience on a ride to Montana this summer. People could not understand why I was always smiling. The guy I was with told me to wipe that smile off my face...he was riding a Yamaha! Enjoy Texas!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Welcome to the VOG and thanks for sharing your story. Even after owning the Vision for a while it is still cool to read these stories of these new adventures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.