VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had a chance to try out my new Kingpin 8-ball with Stage-1 Swept Exhaust. Love the bike and the power, but, I am now affraid of loosing my hearing(I was wearing earplugs). The exhaust sounds nice, but my ears are still ringing from yesterday's ride. Short of replacing the exhaust back with the stock one(I would need to call the dealer to see if they still have it), does anyone have any ideas on how I could lower the sound level? Can anyone recommend a good set of earplugs?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I got a set of custom molded silicone ear plugs made at one of the bike shows, I'm sure your can google it and find someone local that does it.
They are way better than any off the shelf earplug that you can get. Cost around $40.00 and they come with a case. You can even get them molded around your favourite earphone so that you can listen to your iPod or whatever.
If your pipes are that loud, be aware that some localities are clamping down on loud bikes that are passing through. From what I've been told, areas of Quebec along the St Lawrence River are especially bad for pulling you over.
I'm a long distance rider and keep my exhaust stock, because after a couple of hours, I get tired of the noise

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

I have the swept exhaust on my Kingpin, sure on take offs you can make itas loud as you want, but cruising at hiway speeds nothing sounds nicer short of using potatoes LOL. The baffle retaining screws have a habit of backing off and you could end up losing themand the baffles, check them often and the proper Loc-tite.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Netrunner, My shotguns are louder than the swept pipes as they don't point downward.
Maby you do have a leaking gasket, again, when cruising, both of these sets of exhaust seem pretty tame compared to some straight pipes i've heard.
If it is too loud for you, I've heard the slip ons, still stage one, and they're really quiet, unless you're on them.

·
Registered
671 Posts
i put on the 2-1 system from ness wow first time out i went deff so i went down to my local hd dealer have been dealing with them for years great place so anyway found a baffel that is adjustable and the inside diamiter was the same and on these baffels thay have little fingers bent down inside that you bend up to make it quiter or louder worked out perfect i got just the right sound leval i wanted and thay only cost $ 50 so find out the inside diamiter of you'r pipes get a couple it took me about an hour of playing with them . hope this will help you out

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have the swept pipes on my JP. If the takeoffs are easy, they make a nice rumble, not too loud. I only hear wind noise on the highway unless I goose it to let someone know I am here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have gone out a few more times with a new pair on earplugs (33db) and the bike is still way too loud. I would not mind if it was only during takeoffs, but the most annoying is while cruising at a constant speed. I wear a full-face helmet and it almost seems like the sound is resonating inside. I have already verified that the baffles are still inside and there does not seem to be any leaks. I will probably end up aking it in to have the exhaust checked at the local dealer.

I am intrigues by those who have added an aftermarket baffle to their pipes. I have spoken to 2 Victory dealers and had never heard of them. Anyone actually have Thunder Monster baffles on a swept exhaust or any other? Have sound of video clips? After spending 1K on the Stage-1 before actually hearing it, I am reluctant to try anything before I try.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I'm still surprised that it is to loud, I have a Vegas with the same pipes and they are very tame. IMO before I start investing in baffles, I would invest in the upgraded exhaust gaskets, I think there about $12.00. I am not sure about the Thunder Monster baffles but most of the aftermarket performance baffles tend to make the pipes louder, not quieter.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I assume that since you just had your Swepts installed that your exhaust gaskets are fine, it's just a matter of whether or not you want loud exhaust. To me sometimes loud is fun. It is irritating after a while though. Sometimes I wish for my stage-one slip-ons. They were fairly tame while at speed. The shotguns are loud all the time. Maybe not as loud as other pipes, but enough to cause ear damage.

I sold my slip-ons and headers on another website and occasionally see used slip-ons for sale. They get snatched up fast though. A friend took off his Victory drag pipes and put stock exhaust back on. He prefers quiet bikes. I think the Vic drag pipes are quieter than shotguns.

As far as a different baffle for the Swept pipes that will make it quiet enough to really make a difference. I don't think you will find one quiet enough to satisfy you. I could be wrong too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone tried, or know someone that has, Powerbraidz? They claim 10-15dB.

http://www.diamondbackbobbers.com/motorcyle-parts/powerbraidz-custom-motorcycle-pipes-exhaust-baffles/

I contacted Big City thunder and the results they obtained for the quiet QQ baffle was only 1 to 6dB depending on bike, modifications, exhaust...Definitely not enough attenuation. I measured 95dB at idle with a sound pressure meter from The Source and 99dB while cruising(115 dB while accelerating). Way too loud for me(and my neighbours), even with good earplugs.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Netrunner said:
I measured 95dB at idle with a sound pressure meter from The Source and 99dB while cruising(115 dB while accelerating).
Something aint right, you are saying it's to loud but those numbers are lower then a stock HD1500?
97 Idle
102 Cruising
111 Accelerating

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I hate to beat a dead horse but before I went any further I would order a set of the Victory performance gaskets ( the stock ones are just like washers) and replace them. But make sure everything is seated correctly, just being a hair off could cause it to not seat properly. I have the same set up on my bike and while cruising at 60mph I barely hear the exhaust and at idle it just rumbles lower and meaner (deeper not really louder). During acceleration is the only time it really comes alive and is alittle to loud

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
As long as the subject of earplugs in in this thread, I thought I'd ask a question:

Does anyone make any "Noise Reduction" ear plugs?

As a comparison, for many years Bose and other audio companies have produced Noise Reduction Headphones that incorporate tiny microphones on the outside of the ear cups and create an "opposite" sound that reduces the harsh sounds before they reach the ear.

I've used them for many years while flying and they are effecting in reducing the jet engine whine while allowing me to listen to music or the soundtrack of a movie in a nice environment. When the pilot makes an announcement on the intercom, it can still be heard. Basically, they have a method of masking out sounds that could be damaging while letting "friendlier" sounds in.

With that said and with the advancement of electronics, I think it would be nice if a company would come out with either Noise Reduction Earplugs or a Helmet with Noise Reduction Technology. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I must be deaf already cuz I just did a 2000 mile ride with my swept pipes w/ no helmet and riding alongside a straight-piped 118" the whole time and didn't find it bad at all...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.