VOG Forum banner

Stupid GPS Question

1981 13
As a non-user of GPS, I have a question. Laugh if you want.

How well do they work on back roads? All the website info brags about lane warnings, and eco-routes on interstates but how do they do when one is on a state or county road. Lets say I want a 200 mile trip avoiding and the four-lane roads. Can I input the route I want? Will it warn me about upcoming turns?

Like I said, I know this is stupid but I've never used one so I have no idea.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Usually, if a road is on a paper map, it's in the GPS.

You can program routes into the unit, and it will tell you where to turn.

Some units have adjustable settings to avoid specific road factors (toll roads, highways, etc.).

With that said, they can be wrong sometimes.

We were on a trip into the Texas hill country. Our B&B was the Firefly Inn (nice place). Anyway, the GPS took us up a road that was never completely finished. At the end of the road, we could see our destination just down the hill, but had to find another route.

Overall, I prefer to use one. I like that fact that I can find my hotel, save the location, go wherever I want, and set it to return to stored hotel location. Less planing....more fun.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
If you have at least a semi current update and the "back roads" are not brand new or something a property owner cut into his private land you should haveno problems. Do you ride with anyone that has a GPS? If so maybe you can head out to an area you may be concerned aboutwith that person and see for yourself. I don't think it will tell you if the roads are gravel or not though. I have been out on some "back roads" that turned to gravel, one ran through a cemetary and some just plain ended with no warning on the GPS.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Here's what I have learned about GPSes with my Zumo 550.

Keep the maps up to date if possible.
Roads may show up on the GPS that don't actually exist. This is quite common with back roads.
I know one road that is a half a mile off on my GPS.
I contacted Garmin and they said any issues need to be sent to state department that provides the data they use.

There are different types of GPS that serve different purposes. If you stick with a Garmin Zumo you will get the features you asked about. With software you can route a map. There is some basic routing available on the unit itself that is designed to take detours are quickly add in another waypoint. The Zumos will tell you when to turn and possibly which lane to be in. The voice is customizable - many to choose from.

The Zumos have bluetooth also so if you have a bike that doesn't have a way to integrate it into the bike (Cross bikes/Vision have an interface) then oyu can get a scala rider for your helmet or a bluetooth adaptor for your stereo.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

This article showed up today on AOL. I think it pretty much confirms that GPS units are good to a point. In this case, in my opinion, if you have a map and it shows a route you want to take and the GPS suggests you go a different way YOU need to make an educated decision. Apparently these folks didn't. (One of the rides our club did, there were only 4 of us that day, lead us down what promised to be a nice scenic road..it was nice until it turned to gravel. We turned back and found another paved road)
With my Garmin Zumo 550 I often will advance through the route and compare it to a map. There have been times I know of a different route or "shortcut" and will take it. The GPS will first suggest I turn around but then wil recalculate to my location.
http://autos.aol.com/article/stranded-by-navigation-system/

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Okay, since we are on the subject, is there any GPS that can be downloaded with a map from Google? There software is just so easy to use and more up to date then my car.
Don, it's almost cheaper to buy a new Garmin for about $130-150 every other year, may not be a Zumo but certainly is cheap enough. I just got one of the new HTC Evo phones and it comes with nav on it (requires data package). I have rad of a guy on a Honda site that has a cradle for it on his bike and he uses it all the time. The phone can be set to automatically update it self for firmware so I would think the program/ap would refresh too? Maybe the problem would be the carrier and coverage, I have Sprint because of existing lines wth Sprint Nextel. I will say that the EVO phone is cool but sucks battery life like a crack whore in need of a fix.
I mentioned this because the EVO or maybe it's HTC are called "Google" phones.

I haven't tried saving a route on Google. I wonder if it can be saved as a CSV? I think Garmin's software can import CSVs.

·
Registered
868 Posts
On my older Tom Tom Rider 1 which I have not updated there are a lot of "Unnamed Road" displayed when in forests and it is quite expensive to update. $150to update and a cheap GPS costs as little as $88.
it works most of the time but has got lost or given incorrect directions a few times also. Sometimes it will pay to use the trip planner display route to a close by street to confirm it knows the way. I have a shocking sense of direction and probably need 2 GPS units to cross check when in strange locations or GPS plus wife.
She has a very good sense of direction, not updatable but pretty good for an older model. I have recently purchased an intercom so the wife unit can assist in navigation.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts

stilcrazee said:
dsjr70 said:
Okay, since we are on the subject, is there any GPS that can be downloaded with a map from Google? There software is just so easy to use and more up to date then my car.
Don, it's almost cheaper to buy a new Garmin for about $130-150 every other year, may not be a Zumo but certainly is cheap enough. I just got one of the new HTC Evo phones and it comes with nav on it (requires data package). I have rad of a guy on a Honda site that has a cradle for it on his bike and he uses it all the time. The phone can be set to automatically update it self for firmware so I would think the program/ap would refresh too? Maybe the problem would be the carrier and coverage, I have Sprint because of existing lines wth Sprint Nextel. I will say that the EVO phone is cool but sucks battery life like a crack whore in need of a fix.
I mentioned this because the EVO or maybe it's HTC are called "Google" phones.

I haven't tried saving a route on Google. I wonder if it can be saved as a CSV? I think Garmin's software can import CSVs.
I have to check into that, I know my backup phone is a google with nav. I just like the google mapping software because I been using it so long it has become like second nature. The software that came with my old Garmin was not as user friendly although I have not looked at the new software.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Don, I started to read about saving and sharing routes in Google maps but got interupted at work..go figure that the boss had to tell an employee what he needed to do.. and never got back to the reading. I did gather that you plan your route and save it as a URL and then mail that url to whoever. So I would suspect that you could email yourself the url and open it on your phone and use as gps?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have an AT&T Garmin G60 (already discontinued) phone as my backup phone. It works pretty good.

I used cable ties to secure the mount to the top of my gate opener, and used a tether to be sure it doesn't fall off.

The new version is available from T-mobile....which I don't have.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for asking the question. Now that I know this can be done, I will be a big user of it!!!

http://my.garmin.com/locate/google-sendtoGPSHelp.htm

Yes! Find it with Google Maps; get there with Garmin.

The Send to GPS service allows you to search for any street address and transfer it from the Google Maps website to your Garmin device via its USB or Wireless connection. The location will be saved as one of your Favorites, and you can navigate to it or view it on a map just like any other Favorite.
Using your Garmin with Google Maps

What you'll need:
  • A compatible Garmin Device:
    • A USB cable to connect your Garmin device to your computer.
      or
    • A wireless device, such as the nuvi 1690®, must be registered to a myGarmin account.
  • IBM-compatible PCs running Windows® XP or Vista operating systems with Internet Explorer 6+ or Firefox 1.5+. Intel-based or PowerPC G3 or later Mac OS 10.4 or later with Firefox 2.0+ or Safari 2.0+.
  • The Garmin Communicator plugin, which lets your browser talk to your Garmin device. Get it here.
How to use the service:
  1. Type the 'businesses', 'addresses' or 'place of interest' (e.g. 'barbecue' in 'Olathe, KS') and click Search Maps in Google Maps.
  2. Once you find a business, click the Send link in the bar at the top-right corner of the screen.
  3. Click the GPS tab in the 'Send to' window.
  4. From the 'Brand' drop down list, select Garmin.
  5. From the 'Include' drop-down menu, select the address you want to send and press the Send button.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.