VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You might start by removing the panel between the glove box and the seat. That will give you some room to wiggle the cover around a bit and maybe get it loose enough to open. You can pull it by first opening the gas fill door and then gently prying that panel off with your fingers.
No tools please, you don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Also, if you've engaged yer locking mechanism, usin' yer key, ya might have locked yer glove-box. If ya, by chance, have yer steerin' column all the way to the left or right, can't wiggle the handlebars left or right at all then, ya've locked yer bike. To unlock... put the key in the ignition, press down on the key (the metal portion with the key in it should slide down in the lock's channel) now, turn clock-wise. This puts yer key in the OFF position.

The bike won't start, the glove-box should now be accessible by pressin' down on the glove-box cover, and the steerin' column should be free to move. It happens absentmindedly sometimes... after ya've reached OFF (when turnin' the bike OFF), ya press a little bit while turnin' counter-clockwise, the key goes down then, ya remove it. Sure the bike's OFF but ya've also engaged the mechanical lockin' safety mechanism.

I've just changed all the locks on my Vision and found that if the ignition lock's workin' right it's quite easy to enable the safety.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.
You might start by removing the panel between the glove box and the seat. That will give you some room to wiggle the cover around a bit and maybe get it loose enough to open. You can pull it by first opening the gas fill door and then gently prying that panel off with your fingers.
No tools please, you don't want to break anything.
Thanks. I tried that. Couldn't see or do anything and trying to remove lower panels on this bike is a nightmare. somehow its either broken in a closed position or locked itself. Annoying as I have to put my phone and wallet in my pockets now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Also, if you've engaged yer locking mechanism, usin' yer key, ya might have locked yer glove-box. If ya, by chance, have yer steerin' column all the way to the left or right, can't wiggle the handlebars left or right at all then, ya've locked yer bike. To unlock... put the key in the ignition, press down on the key (the metal portion with the key in it should slide down in the lock's channel) now, turn clock-wise. This puts yer key in the OFF position.

The bike won't start, the glove-box should now be accessible by pressin' down on the glove-box cover, and the steerin' column should be free to move. It happens absentmindedly sometimes... after ya've reached OFF (when turnin' the bike OFF), ya press a little bit while turnin' counter-clockwise, the key goes down then, ya remove it. Sure the bike's OFF but ya've also engaged the mechanical lockin' safety mechanism.

I've just changed all the locks on my Vision and found that if the ignition lock's workin' right it's quite easy to enable the safety.
Thanks, but I've been riding the bike for weeks. just can't open the glove box

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
'K...
Then, if the arm coming out of the ignition switch, under console, attached to the cable which latches the glove-box is broken in some way or the support which holds the cable in-place has come loose.

If the arm's broken then you'll need to replace the whole ignition switch.
If the cable's come loose then the screw holding the cable brace has probably fallen down and is lost.
The bad thing 'bout all of this is ya'll need to remove the console to troubleshoot/correct yer problem.
The only way to get the console up, unfortunately, is to remove a 4mm screw (among others) under the glove-box door.

If yer ignition switch is broken ya'll need to replace the whole set of locks (bags, trunk, and ignition).
If ya pry the console off, by removing all the fasteners 'cept the one in the glove-box ya'll break the plastic on the console attached to that screw.

If ya can wait, tomorrow/tonight, after work (yes some of us work Saturdays & Sundays--at night no less) I'll post pictures of the lockin' pin mechanism in the glove-box, the ignition lock, and how it fits on the bike.
With the pictures ya'll have a better idea of what yer up against.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
@DVictory does the lid move down when you try to open it?

If not then the lock could be engaged.

It could be that the press to release latch came apart when last closed . Mine did it once and I had to apply an uncomfortable amount of force to open it. The latch stayed on the door at that point. I got it off of the door and put it back in the console and haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Mine has been a bit “sticky” and I’ve had to push down a couple times and pull up on the front edge of the door to get it to open (doesn’t just pop open automagically)

Can’t really offer any further guidance than what’s been given, but following in case someone knows how to lube and/or make the door easier to open.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
'K DVictory,
I'll start by addressing the panel OM47 was referring to...
When ya open yer gas lid ya should be able to slip yer hand under a piece of panel between the lid crack and the glove-box or gas lids...

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Put yer hand under this panel and lift UP...

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Don't worry ya won't break it. It's made of the same plastic professional football helmets are made of and it's mounted with large pins in rubber grommets ('nother angle)...

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Aircraft

With this panel removed you may be able to operate yer glove-box now. What OM47 was gettin' at is sometimes this panel wedges itself in the glove-box lid 'n won't permit the lid to operate. If this exercise fixes yer problem then take great care when puttin' the panel back so that it doesn't get stuck in the glove-box lid again.

I'll cover the ignition latch next....

Reactions: jmstang302

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The ignition switch mechanism has 2 cabled latch releases... 1 for the glove-box lid and 1 for the gas compartment lid. Here's a shot of the ignition switch out of it's natural habitat (the console area)...

Automotive tire Bicycle part Font Rim Wood

That arm I've drawn attention to is the arm which will release yer glove-box lid. The cable's much like a motorcycle brake cable or bicycle brake cable. The lead weight at the end of the cable slides into the slot on the arm.

Gas Machine tool Machine Engineering Nut

The arm's spring loaded 'n so's the pin in the glove-box. So, if the arm breaks the pin will react and lock the glove-box lid (kinda opposite of what ya'd 'spect).

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If the bracket which holds the cable looses it's retainin' screw the same result will occure. Here's a picture of the arm and bracket. The yellow arrow's a simulation of the cable. Ya can see the bracket screw still in-place here...

Tire Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Machine tool Engineering

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Shots of the glove-box...

Hood Automotive lighting Wood Automotive tire Bumper

Opened...

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Computer hardware Automotive exterior

Focus on the latching assembly. The pin's in place, above it's the plastic latch for the glove-box door and, above that's the 4mm retainin' screw for the console. You'll need to get at that screw to remove the console to access yer ignition lock problem.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Auto part Font

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The glove-box lid (door) has a piece of hard plastic with a hole in it where the cabled pin slides...

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

As ya can see Vic didn't want just anybody gettin' in yer things. Here's a close-up of the cabled pin in the open position...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

Here's the pin extended...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

So, you should get the idea now, yer box lid's closed up pretty tight if the door's down and the pin's extended.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I hope this has helped to understand yer glove-box operation better.
Or, it's just confirmed that yer glove-box is locked up tight and only damagin' parts will access it's contents.
At least ya can start by removin' the panel between the glove-box and gas cap doors to get a better look at what's hangin' up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.