VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a ride yesterday and we went a little "off road" on some unpaved, rutted, gravel/dirt roads. At a stop the guy behind me called "your tail light is hanging out"?!? (2015 Gunner)

Turns out the screw holding it into the mount had come out. Emergency roadside repairs got us to our destination, but I wasn't able to find a correct sized screw to hold the light in.

Now I fear the hole is "stripped out". Any suggestions on what to do? I'm afraid that trying to go with a much larger screw will cause the plactic to break. Do I try and fill and tap, if so with waht material? Superglue? Any thoughts or advise apperciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The stripped out hole can be fixed be using a insert, this is a threaded insert made of metal which are often used in enjected plastic parts for a positive firm location for holding things together. I've used many before I retired from rapid prototyping business. I believe hardware store may carry inserts also wood working stores. Many thread sizes available. To install use JB weld or I have used super glue. You can use screw to make sure insert is true to the world while epoxy in place just make sure you wax the screw so glue etc. will not stick to screw, I like Johnson's paste wax. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.