VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to store a drive belt? I have a spare, and will be packaging up and keep it in a temperature controlled room. Would wrapping it in heavy plastic sheeting before storing work?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I would call Gates or a Gates distributor and ask the experts.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Great question and pretty relevant seeing how they will likely become rare in the coming years.

Maybe a vacuum bag? Like those space saver storage bags where you suck the air out of it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Idle tires will structurally deteriorate faster than ones in moderate use. There are lubricating compounds within rubber that need to be massaged and moved around. Rather than long term storage of one for possibly up to 10 years I personally believe you will get a longer life out of the two belts if you alternate them year to year.

If you plan on that long term storage though I think you'd be better served just buying one when you need it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i'd imagine putting the belt in a dry, cool and none direct sun light would be more then sufficient. Considering they sit on both warehouse racks and in dealerships for "x" amount of years. And you'd purchase one of them without a second glace.
I get what you mean, I have a spare belt already as parts in Australia are pretty much non existent. I left it in the air tight bag it came in and placed it in my spares draw. Only time will tell I guess....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It's been known for some time that tires deteriorate on the shelf. And when they go, they sometimes do it catastrophically. Everyone should be checking the dates of the tires offered by the seller. Buying old tires because they are cheap, at the shop or on the internet, can pose a threat you are unaware of.

Video: Dangerous Tires: Aged Tires Linked to Auto Accidents

Reactions: mister-g

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Is there a date code on a new belt so when you buy it you know how old it is?
Not on the belt it's self, but the packaging does.

Font Material property Rectangle Electric blue Monochrome

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Good find flwalks-154 tooth would make it compatible with the x bikes & Vision I believe.
Looks like they also have a 135 tooth 1" or 1 1/8" wide polychain belts that could work to replace the Victory 3211085 belts? Nothing for the 142 tooth TC's.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I was thinking that using one of those food saver vacuum sucking units would seal it up the best.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. Will get a large vac bag and store it in the house. Great that there are aftermarket choices too.

With Polaris sticking it too us and this being my first belt drive bike, I wanted to be prepared.. I picked up my '16VV on 1/6 3 days before the announcement. Got 10k miles on it this year and I have 2 months of riding season left. I like 53 canucks rotating suggestion as well, maybe every 20-30 k miles I will.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Yep, think I'll pack mine away and store in a closet in the house.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For a comparison, 9 years out from the demise of Buell, my H-D dealer got the OEM Gates belt in two days for me, last May.

The MoCo screwed alot of new owners back in the day, but their Buell parts supply has stayed true to their commitment.

Here's hoping Polaris follows their lead.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I talked with an engineer at Gates a while back when I was getting my spare belt. Keep it round and dry; i.e. store it with some packs of silica-gel. Keep it out of sunlight, and cool if possible. Also, the belt should be allowed to breathe a bit from time to time, so opening the storage box and allowing it to stand open for about a week per year would be prudent. Vacuum bagging is NOT advised. The belts are NOT made from rubber compounds, but synthetic polymers and should hold up just fine if the storage instructions are followed. The BIG deal is storing them in a rounded configuration so that stress cracking is minimized upon use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.