VOG Forum banner

Storage over the summer.

920 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  dizzzy 
#1 ·
Yep, you heard it right, I have to store my bikes over the summer! I just had a couple of vertebrae fused and no biking for 8 months! A shock to me. Anyway, I have two carburetted bikes and the Vegas.

I had already installed fresh gas in them prior to surgery, and put stabilizer in it. I didn't use non ethanol gas, because I didn't think I'd be off them more than a month or so. Now, I have to rethink it all.

Any recommendations other than what I have already done? I don't want to drain all the fuel out and install non ethanol gas unless I have to, as I'm pretty limited on what I can do for the next few months, and no bending and twisting.

I can't move them out or ride them, even up the drive and back. The only thing I can do is start them and run them statically, which I'm reluctant to do, as it just adds moisture into the inside of the engines. The Vic, being fuel injected I'm not worried about. Plus, she already has stabilizer run through her.

Cheers
John.

#3 ·
If you put stabilizer for ethonol gas in them I think you will be ok.

#4 ·
Put tires on some wood or off cement. Plug in battery tender and let it sit.
It will do know good to start it every so often. Cover bike.
Mine sits for 5 months over the winter and plugging in the battery put a cover over bike is all I do. Matter of fact this spring I rode a good 100 miles and still got 39 mpg

#5 ·
Put tires on some wood or off cement. Plug in battery tender and let it sit.
It will do know good to start it every so often. Cover bike.
Mine sits for 5 months over the winter and plugging in the battery put a cover over bike is all I do. Matter of fact this spring I rode a good 100 miles and still got 39 mpg

#6 ·
Yep, you heard it right, I have to store my bikes over the summer! I just had a couple of vertebrae fused and no biking for 8 months! A shock to me. Anyway, I have two carburetted bikes and the Vegas.

I had already installed fresh gas in them prior to surgery, and put stabilizer in it. I didn't use non ethanol gas, because I didn't think I'd be off them more than a month or so. Now, I have to rethink it all.

Any recommendations other than what I have already done? I don't want to drain all the fuel out and install non ethanol gas unless I have to, as I'm pretty limited on what I can do for the next few months, and no bending and twisting.

I can't move them out or ride them, even up the drive and back. The only thing I can do is start them and run them statically, which I'm reluctant to do, as it just adds moisture into the inside of the engines. The Vic, being fuel injected I'm not worried about. Plus, she already has stabilizer run through her.

Cheers
John.
I feel your pain John. I've been down the same road. Still have the pain to prove it.

#7 ·
I store my bikes over winter, sometimes that is 6 freakin months
I just put in E free gas and stabilizer and hook up battery tender.
See no need to store on wood, never have and never had a problem.
You should be OK with the gas you have in them.
I do not cover mine either, did it one time and condensation formed so I uncovered them.

Reactions: roadcouch
#8 ·
Send your Vegas down to me and I'll watch it for you. I'm sure two other members will be nice enough to volunteer and watch the others.

@jwfuchs1 , @MagVic CCT , and @IM12STPN come to mind. Give the one you care least for to JW.

#10 ·
Thanks you guys! Already have the battery tenders on my bikes. Will do the rest. Already have the stabilizer. No Vicvision bulldog. Nice try though. Ha, I think I’ll wait until my wife is out and the sneak her out of the garage around, oh, maybe month 4. What could go wrong? Cover is a good idea too. Never thought about that. I like to look at my bike. Just not sitting in the garage!

#11 ·
Shut off the fuel taps and drain the carbs on those bikes. The idle circuit passages on a carbureted bike are too narrow to leave any fuel in them to jell. I like to shut off the fuel at the tank then run the bike to dry out the carbs.

#12 ·
Thanks old man! I will drain the carbs. They all have drain valves. Right now, I can’t get down to get at them, or get either bike up on the lift, so I’ll just keep the carbs full for now. Maybe in a few more weeks I can get down to drain them.

#13 ·
Shut off the fuel taps and drain the carbs on those bikes. The idle circuit passages on a carbureted bike are too narrow to leave any fuel in them to jell. I like to shut off the fuel at the tank then run the bike to dry out the carbs.
I've heard it both ways. Some say to drain fuel out of carbs, others say to let it in, with stabilizer. The ones who say to let it in, say if you drain it, the gaskets in the carbs will dry out. The ones who say to drain it, say what you said. I'm on the fence with this topic as to which is better.

#14 ·

Cheers
John.
Try to keep your fuel tank full to reduce moisture condensation and it should be fine. Battery tender is always a great idea for long storage, I use
NOCO Genius 6/12 Volt, 750mA Multi-Purpose Battery Charger $30.00
Wishing you speedy recovery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.