VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I lost the steering post cap bolt [part# 5131497] from my 1999 V92C. Although hard to find, I can still order the OEM part for about $90. Yes, $90 for a cap bolt! However, I'd rather spend $5 or less and replace it with something semi-comparable from ACE hardware.

So, does anyone happen to know the bolt's specifications [bolt diameter, bolt length, thread pitch, etc.]?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
This is my best guess:
going by the 14mm driver size the bolt threads would be M16-2.00
I'd get a 100mm long one & see if it threads in by hand & can it can be cut to proper length. It needs a strong/thick (1/4" min) plate washer about 1 1/2" diameter that could be welded to a button head cap bolt to match the original bolt. Torque to 50 ft/lbs

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I don’t think you’ll find an exact replacement at Ace, possibly something that will work. That’s why I believe you need to fabricate/weld a plate washer to a button head bolt to replicate the original that has a huge chromed button head-“when in doubt build it stout” is my motto. TC’s had a big ugly hex head bolt but it was hidden under the fairing. Be careful & good luck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I prefer for the bolt to look as much like the OEM bolt as possible. If I wasn't so thrifty, I'd buy the $90 OEM bolt, but I just can't force myself to do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.