VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Must be an import direct from the states..... All Australian and European models, to my knowledge have to have them by law...... Even if a dealer from melbourne had one it would cost you a fortune as I bet the whole lot would need to be replaced as it appears too bloody simple to just have an extra key for that purpose and manufacture's seem to think one needs all replaced just for one part replaced.....

Used to enjoy the odd beer at the baccas pub "sportman's bar" in 1970 and '71.....

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
They made it an option in 2012 I think but as mentioned it was mandatory overseas in some countries. Beware this is considered an accessory in the USA though so good luck finding one. They weren't cheap either. I use one of these on my front rotor coupled with a coiled bungee stretched to my throttle to remind me it's there so I don't do damage by forgetting it.

Bully 5.5mm Yellow Disc Lock | 138-209

Deemeed Orange Bungee Cord Lock Reminder | 533-595

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is one of the first idiotic this I discovered that Polaris does. I have owned over 25 bikes in the past 45 years and ALL had a steering lock and most had a side stand switch. Makes me wonder what else they scrimped on.:nuts:

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
They skimped on advertising , awareness , infotainment, quality paint,
Still the only bike I want to ride ....... for now.

• Angry
  • Winner
Reactions: Blazae13 and Trout

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
One of my first Guzzi's had a fork lock.
Went to work one day & it rained most all day then the temp dropped to freezing.
Yep, frozen fork lock.
Took hours to get it thawed never used one since.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
They skimped on advertising , awareness , infotainment, quality paint,
Still the only bike I want to ride ....... for now.
Oh yeah and they skimped on oil too.

Reactions: Cruzie27

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
My 04 KP has the old fashioned holes on the lower triple tree that line up when the forks are all the way to the left for a lock to go in. I had forgotten all about it until I noticed it again the other day.

On my 69 Harley it had the same thing but on the right side when made more sense. Easier to get at. Then again; easier for a thief too I guess...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I considered installing one when I replaced my steering neck bearings. Then found out it's apparently a hassle to get it keyed the same as the bike? Dumped that idea pretty quick. Besides turn it hard enough supposedly breaks it unlocked anyway

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I look at all this stuff a certain way... If someone wants your bike bad enough, a trailer and a few guys can easily take it and deal with it later.. that said, rotor locks, steering head locks, and kill switches are about useless....

Some say good thick chain and chain that ***** to a pole through the frame.... That's prob a safe bet, until you can't find a pole where your parking...

The other thing alot of guys do, is watch their bikes, from wherever they are.. I remember one guy I rode with, so hyper sensitive if we were eating and someone started walking towards his bike... Then got into their car...

I have left my key in the bike, and gear on the bike(helmet, jacket, gloves, goggles and a go-pro) no-one touched it... Well can't entirely say that, I came out of a grocery store and found some asshole in dad shorts with his 3-4 year old climbing on my bike, the kid not the asshole... He was to busy looking at the bike.. kid was lucky he didn't touch the pipes...

After this long as post... If your worried about your machine getting taken, get it appraised and insured properly... If your worried that it's like your woman and you don't want anyone else to have Her, well guess you'll have to watch her from wherever you are...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.