VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I adjust the steering head bearing adjuster nut without disassembling the fairing on my XCT? I read the procedures on loosening the stem bearing nut then taking a screwdriver and tapping the bearing adjuster nut to tighten. There is not much space to get a 30mm socket on the nut with the fairing on the bike. Just wondering if someone figured this out or do I have to dismantle the fairing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yes you have to take off the top clamp. It's a big job but not hard.

1. Jack it up even and put some wood under the front wheel to just give a small amount of pressure. This is for safety. I put a little in back too just in case.
2 Remove fairing and disconnect the wires going to the bike and study removing the fairing support , dash , inner dash and everything as one piece. The 4 main Support bolts. I can't remember what other bolts needs to come off!
3 You can now remove the the top clamp after double checking torque on the two pinch bolts holding the legs and front wheel up! This is when I put just a little pressure under the wheel just in case.
4 The book wants the front wheel off and the legs pulled down and off but it was not needed. The top clamp will pop right off and go back on without any alignment trouble.

Maybe half of the wires will stay with the dash and fairing support. You can cut wire ties on the harness around the radio to get more room to move radio. These can be replaced with new ones. The harness around the radio is going to stay with the support. You are just going to unplug the harness. The radio just needs to be made loose so you can get to the two gold support bolts behind it. I think the rest is in the book.

At least you won't be doing it for a fork lock problem.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bueller! I might tackle this job on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've done it by unbolting everything but not unplugging and fully removing fairing. My method was unbolting everything, cutting a zip tie or two. Then strapping the bars/fairing from ceiling. Lifited it about 2-3" to do the job.

Reactions: Bigmike45

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like your method better..

I've done it by unbolting everything but not unplugging and fully removing fairing. My method was unbolting everything, cutting a zip tie or two. Then strapping the bars/fairing from ceiling. Lifited it about 2-3" to do the job.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealership charges $385 to do the job. Actually a little more because I have aftermarket stereo equipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.