VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Someone may be able to point you in the right direction if you indicate what kind of riding you intend to do.
Body weight, and height may help, as would two up riding interests.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
My steel frame of choice would be the Gunner or a close second would be KP mostly because of tire size but the inverted forks on the KP are nice.

Do you still have your XR?

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Whichever one you thinks looks the best is the best. Technically, the Kingpin is the best. Especially pre 09 when they lowered it. It's got the best suspension and wheel/tire size combo for the best handling. Realistically unless you're pushing the bike really hard, the differences are minimal. I flat out love the looks of the KP. If I thought one of the others looked better I would let the Pin's handling advantage sway me, I'd get the one that makes me always turn around for a second look.

I guess now that I'm thinking about it there is something else I like about the Pin and the narrow tire bikes, they do have a bit more options for passenger and luggage accommodations. I do convert my Kingpin back and forth from a 2-up touring bike to a stripped down solo cruiser.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Kingpin, I have a 2011 set up just like I want it and hope it lasts as long as I can ride.
My wife has a 2013 Boardwalk which in my opinion looks better than any of the steel frame bikes.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Kingpin of course.

In the old days Vic had 3 classes of bikes, premium, "normal", and 8-ball. Premium had inverted forks, 6-speed tranny, and a few other things. Normal had a 5-speed tranny. 8-ball was stripped down.

Kingpin was a premium bike. Then later on all the bikes went to a 100 CI with 6-speed. Then 106 CI with 6-speed so the premium designation went away. 8-Ball stayed.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Kingpin of course.

In the old days Vic had 3 classes of bikes, premium, "normal", and 8-ball. Premium had inverted forks, 6-speed tranny, and a few other things. Normal had a 5-speed tranny. 8-ball was stripped down.

Kingpin was a premium bike. Then later on all the bikes went to a 100 CI with 6-speed. Then 106 CI with 6-speed so the premium designation went away. 8-Ball stayed.
This is going to cause confusion. I get what you're trying to say, but "Premium" was an actual trim level package of extra chrome and billet wheels. Premium Vegas, Jackpot, and Vision all had standard forks. Kingpin, Hammer, and Cross bikes always have inverted forks no matter what the trim level was. The progression from 92-100-106 cubic inches and from 5 to 6 speed transmissions sometimes followed a trim level, sometimes did not. Meaning some years the five speed or smaller displacement was part of the 8-Ball package, but other years was not.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
The steel frame bikes are all based on the Vegas chassis.

Vegas has 18" rear wheel with 180mm rear tire, 21" front wheel, and conventional forks. In 2006 they got the 100" engine and six-speed transmission. 8-Ball versions (all Blacked out) originally had the 92" five-speed drive train... then the 100" five-speed... then later all were 106" six-speed. Premium package was chromed forks, triple trees, swingarm, and wheels.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Kingpin has 18" wheels front and rear with a 180mm rear and 130mm front tires along with inverted forks and floorboards instead of pegs. There was a 'deluxe' version with a 'touring' passenger seat/sissybar combination, small hard bags, and a windshield. The Kingpin 'Tour' version had a tour pack and the same bags as the deluxe. Same applies as an available premium package.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Hammer had the 250mm rear tire, inverted forks, 130mm x 18" front wheel and a cowl over the small passenger seat. This model started in 2005 and introduced the 100/6 driveline.

Plant Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle

Jackpot is a 250mm wide rear tire version of a Vegas, with the 21" front wheel and conventional forks. The wheels were upgraded and the frames were color matched.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Fuel tank

The Judge, Gunner, and HighBall are Vegas derived models with 16" rims front and rear with a narrow 140mm rear tire.

Fuel tank Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Motorcycle

Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yep. The Boardwalk was nice, but they never should've discontinued the Kingpin.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I think the two tone red and black Boardwalk was absolutely stunning, gorgeous bike. But Victory was being ran by the men that killled it, not the men that created it at the time. So it had spokes, crazy beach bars, removed suspension travel, and costs thousands more than a Gunner, about as much as an XR. Gee, I wonder why it didn't sell? Must be because guys just don't want Vic's...

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I think the two tone red and black Boardwalk was absolutely stunning, gorgeous bike. But Victory was being ran by the men that killled it, not the men that created it at the time. So it had spokes, crazy beach bars, removed suspension travel, and costs thousands more than a Gunner, about as much as an XR. Gee, I wonder why it didn't sell? Must be because guys just don't want Vic's...
The last Kingpin MSRP was $15,299. The Boardwalk MSRP was $14,999. The Cross Country MSRP was $18,999.

Inverted forks were gone, shorter rear suspension, 16" spoke wheels and innertubes, beach bars, Cross bike style tank/fenders, the seat molded to the angled side covers... there goes all your seat choices from the other steel frame bikes (now they don't fit, just like a Judge), and what is with that name?

I think the best looking steel frame was the 2007 Hammer S:

Fuel tank Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Plant

Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I liked a lot of the features on the Hammer's.. I just couldn't get past the overly wide back end.. don't need a fatazz to corner man! I thought a lot about 'the ultimate steel frame' having all the best parts in one. The Kingpin came the closest.. just needed the dual brakes from the Hammer to be just about perfect. As much as I liked the looks of the rear fender it really wasn't necessary so I could have given that up to have a truly universal platform with all the best of the rest. Call it a Royal Flush or something. :) Then make quick detach pieces like the wildly popular Harley and you would have had an unbeatable combo that could go from bar cruiser to back road ripper to touring bike in minutes. Yah.. a guy can dream. Oh and give it the bigger fuel tank like the Cross bikes have.. thanks. I'll take 2.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I liked a lot of the features on the Hammer's.. I just couldn't get past the overly wide back end.. don't need a fatazz to corner man! I thought a lot about 'the ultimate steel frame' having all the best parts in one. The Kingpin came the closest.. just needed the dual brakes from the Hammer to be just about perfect. As much as I liked the looks of the rear fender it really wasn't necessary so I could have given that up to have a truly universal platform with all the best of the rest. Call it a Royal Flush or something. :) Then make quick detach pieces like the wildly popular Harley and you would have had an unbeatable combo that could go from bar cruiser to back road ripper to touring bike in minutes. Yah.. a guy can dream. Oh and give it the bigger fuel tank like the Cross bikes have.. thanks. I'll take 2.
Agreed.
The dual discs up front never mattered to me since I have never experienced heat-fade of the front brakes. The single disc is plenty adequate and will lock the front tire with 2 fingers at 70 mph.

They really should have done the Kingpin with a variety of quick on/off accessories from bat wing, bat wing with stereo, café fairings, windshields, hard cases, sissy-bars, and even tour packs. Hell, the passenger seat and sissy-bar or tour pack could be 1 piece. If they made the accessories affordable (unlike Indian) it could become any bike/every bike. The base bike would be affordable and then you could purchase accessories as you can afford to. Yes, 5-1/2 gallons of fuel would be nice... and a fan on the oil cooler.

Clean up the wiring/cabling, revamp the switchgear, quiet down the engine and trans, go to a single throttle body so it will lope at idle... Oh sorry, we wouldn't be able to sell anything like that... what was I thinking?

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I liked a lot of the features on the Hammer's.. I just couldn't get past the overly wide back end.. don't need a fatazz to corner man!
It's not as bad as you think... Spoon some Night Dragons on it with the 240mm out back and the handling is a lot sharper. That tire has a more rounded profile than the Dunny 250.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The Boardwalk wasn't a steel frame bike, though. Seemed like Vic had started to deprecate all of the steel frames with Cross flavored bikes.

Highball vs Harball
Kingpin vs Boardwalk

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.