VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So much for searching!
Anyhow, I was out riding all weekend and stopped for sustenance- a few hours later bike wouldn't do anything! At first the lights came on and everything looked normal, hit the start switch and lights out, nothing! A few more tries and the same- lights came on once or twice but not any noise indicating it's trying to start. It was dark and I was close to home so I just ubered- I'll check the battery for loose wires and such but is there anything else I should check?
Oh, it's a 2011, battery is almost 2 years old and I put 15k on it. I changed the 40w Amp last year.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If you can, before doing anything else, if you have a meter check the battery voltage at rest. It should be 12.6 volts or slightly higher.
If it is below that, then your battery is dying.
Yes certainly check your battery connections, but also check the ground connection at the battery and at the engine casing.
If the battery is dead, it could simply be the battery or the voltage regulator. Once you get it running check the voltage at the battery again, it should be around 14.5 volts while running.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I would also check the 40a breaker or just replace it.
in his first post he said he changed the 40 amp breaker last year. But yes, good to check it as well as it's a crucial part of the system. Hopefully it didn't fail in just 12 months of use.

Reactions: NWidder

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Many of the replacements aren't as waterproof as the original and need to be sealed.
agreed. Hopefully he saw the many posts (and Paul's video) on sealing and replacing properly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, just pulled the chin fairing off, tested it and it showed 12.77, jiggled a few connections and she fired up. I just rode her home, will test it while on and tighten up all the stuff in there. Lost 2 of the bolts that hold the plastic thing in....gotta find some plastic lock washers. Thx all for the input, I'll check back when I finish up!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
12.77 seems a good voltage for a resting battery so I think it is fine.
Check for corrosion as well while you are inspecting the cables.
Perhaps a bit of dielectric grease on the connections will be a good preventative measure as well.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
A battery can show a bright headlight but no amps to start the bike. Your battery may be duff regardless of its age. Consider a new one, at least you'll know it's good.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Per your initial description the lights came on so you had some power. While the 12.6volts or above is a good indication of the condition of the battery the voltage on a battery at rest isn't telling you the whole story. Especially if you take the measurement within a couple of hours of a charging cycle whether it be from riding or on a battery charger. What you need to do is see what the voltage drops to while you're trying to start the bike. That's when the problem hits. If it drops below approx 9.4v then the power is too low. As an example, mine doesn't go below 10.6v.

Basics. As already mentioned, the connections are first thing to check. Vibration, exposure to the elements and short trips don't play well with the connections. Make sure everything, power and ground, is clean and tight. If you find the starting voltage drops too far below the 9.5v put the battery on a charger. Not one of the maintainers - a proper charger. Let it fully charge over night. Then after an hour or so after the charger has been removed go through the voltage measurements at the battery in the bike. 12.6v stopped, 9.5+v starting, 14.2v idling, 14.2ish (after a slight bump) rev'd to 2000. If starting voltage still drops too low then it's a best bet the battery is the problem but it's not certain. Yet.

What you described can also be caused by heat soak although you indicated you were stopped for a few hours which seems a bit long for that. Batteries don't like extreme cold or heat and the available power drops in both instances. When you park the bike and stop the airflow, the heat off of the engine continues to radiate and heat up the battery higher than when riding. A weak battery will weaken further and labour under the load of trying to start the bike. As it gets back to normal operating conditions it can recover and will seem fine. If that's the case the battery needs attention.

It certainly doesn't sound like something major but you need to go through the checks and testing we've mentioned or you may find yourself stranded again in a less convenient location.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, looks like it was just a loose connection somewhere. I tightened everything on the battery and those behind it and all is well. For whatever reason the bolts on the plastic fairing are working loose...just have to tighten them every once in a while I guess!?
Thx again for all the help, it's always appreciated!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
Alex ….I’d like “chime in on the circuit breaker “
Please for $500

so you say the plastic one is no good and the metal one is better but it needs sealed ?

truth is …..the plastic one is marine grade and it is better as it is built to take rough pounding waves and prevent water intrusion. The breaker inside the plastic case is built into it a certain way to keep it from coming apart and bouncing around in the case. Yeah not good if the case were metal and bolted to a grounded frame ?

The metal (Napa one) has the breaker inside the case secured with 2 little spot welds. From rust, vibration and just time the breaker could jar loose in the case and yeah ….. not good. Touching the metal case and causing all kinds of electrical issues.

if your thinking of replacing your OEM plastic 40 amp marine rated breaker for no reason other than you think the metal one is better? Don’t. Have a spare one just in case lying around but it should be the OEM type plastic 40 amp breaker. Just like the OEM series type Voltage regulator. Ole Slick learned the hard way that there’s a reason Victory used the parts they used. Being cheap and saving a buck had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Flyboy and md2420

·
Registered
18,234 Posts
Ok, just pulled the chin fairing off, tested it and it showed 12.77, jiggled a few connections and she fired up. I just rode her home, will test it while on and tighten up all the stuff in there. Lost 2 of the bolts that hold the plastic thing in....gotta find some plastic lock washers. Thx all for the input, I'll check back when I finish up!
All "jiggle" is not acceptable... Except at a Gentlemen's Bar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.