VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Quick question. After my 2009 Vision sits overnight it started giving me some trouble.
I hit starter and sometimes starter will catch then whine. Can take a couple times before starting. Sometimes whine then catch on second attempt.

Battery full and connections tight. Just not catching.

Is this the relay solinoid going or starter? I kind of think relay but I'm on my own out here and thought you guys with more experience could help.

Any recommendations on part or parts too would help. Thanks in advance...BW

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just went out for a ride. Turned over fine then spin/whine sound. 5 count, hit starter and started right up. I need a better load tester or take it to Auto Zone. Then starts perfectly each time. Weekend project but any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Sounds to me like the one way clutch in the starter isn't holding.

Reactions: jedi-mcfly

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Yea I'm thinking that way. So I'm looking into a new starter. Seems to be a lot of choices. But which one will last is always the question. Not sure I can do it myself too. Bummer...
The one way sprag clutch is separate from the starter. If the sprag is bad the starter will just spin and the engine won't turn over. Is the whining noise you have the starter just spinning and not turning the engine over or is it while turning the engine over?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It'll sometimes just spin, only in the morning, so far.
Sometimes it'll turn over normal then give way and spin.
It's at it's beginning of this breakdown because, I think, it will work normally once started for the day. Not to bad in morning, 2-4 attempts, sooo? I like to tackle things asap. Don't want to get stuck, money, how to do it. Can I figure it out? Appreciate your responses , time, and efforts...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if you are still having this problem or if you have fixed it. I was getting a bad high pitched HRRRRRRRR sound on cold starts. I replaced the starter yesterday with luck, it was fixed. I think it might have been the brushes in the starter vibrating when they are cold.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure if you are still having this problem or if you have fixed it. I was getting a bad high pitched HRRRRRRRR sound on cold starts. I replaced the starter yesterday with luck, it was fixed. I think it might have been the brushes in the starter vibrating when they are cold.
Thanks, but solved. It was the battery. Only 23 months old, on tender and ridden year round. O'Reilly showed it to be good. Autozone said it was definitely good. But Walmart battery check draind and recharges fully. Showed bad, replace. Only 12.5v.

Went with new battery from O'Reilly because theres was only 3 months old, by the sticker label.

I believe my crappy YUSA was old when I bought it because I looked for production sticker and there wasn't one. No more online batteries for me. O'Reilly also had the best warranty... Sorry I had posted the solution on a different thread. Ooops! Ride safe brother....

·
Registered
72 Posts
No, I'm not positive. When I press the starter button, it just clicks. I was going to pull the starter and bench check it but it looks difficult to get to.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
No, I'm not positive. When I press the starter button, it just clicks. I was going to pull the starter and bench check it but it looks difficult to get to.
Do you have a meter?
  • 1st clean and tighten all of the cable ends, battery, Selenoid, breaker, starter... if you have 12.7 Volts to the solenoid and the cables have been services and it still just clicks. Make sure it's in neutral then jump the large posts on the solenoid. If it starts you have a bad solenoid or issues/corrosion in the switch.
You can pickup a solenoid for less than $20...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.