VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my new Octane about four weeks ago. This past Friday I rode to Carburation day at the Indianapolis 500 track. Spent the day there and then drove to a cigar shop I frequent in Downtown Indy. When I got there spent a little time and came back out my bike would not turn over. Called for a jump, no good so I ended up flat bedding it home. Got up Saturday and decided to try to jump start it with my Jeep Renegade. Fired right up so I drove it straight to my Polaris Dealership where I bought the bike. They have had it since then and now indicate I will likely need a new starter, stator and possibly a new Clutch Sensor switch and possibly a battery.

My question is, is this normal on a bike that only had 337 miles on it?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Why would it not be covered by the warranty?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
They have not said it's under warranty, but seems like they are dragging their feet.
That would be the first thing I would ask them. If, for what ever reason it isn't, I would find a new shop to take it to. Like Lou said, they are trying to throw parts at it until the issue is resolved instead of diagnosing the problem and fixing what is actually wrong.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Sounds like they guessed at a few things it could be and will be awaiting input from someone more knowledgeable on the electrics for the final decision. I'm surprised they didn't add the regulator or ignition in there too. Some proper testing should isolate the source if the problem is still there. Hope it is or it come back at exactly the wrong time.

In any case, as already suggested, it might be a good idea to look around for an alternative service centre for future reference.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
so was the jeep running? or did you just jump off battery. By the way never have any car running when jumping.
guessing what they told you is BS you probably have loose battery bolts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so was the jeep running? or did you just jump off battery. By the way never have any car running when jumping.
guessing what they told you is BS you probably have loose battery bolts
Well, that is good to know, I did have my car running when I jumped it. I thought about not having it running thinking the battery alone could have got it going, I did when I removed the seat checked the battery bolts, that was not the problem they were tight.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well, that is good to know, I did have my car running when I jumped it. I thought about not having it running thinking the battery alone could have got it going, I did when I removed the seat checked the battery bolts, that was not the problem they were tight.
Bummer. The reason you shouldn't have it running is the alternator in it carries way more amps and you could actually mess up your regulator by back feeding it. DON"T tell them you did that, if you haven't already. Yeah, you can say you jump started it, but don't let them know you had the vehicle running.
My bet is you have a bad battery. Unlikely it's a starter as it's merely a motor, no throwout mechanisms. If they do change the stator, make sure they change the regulator as well. You really shouldn't change one without changing the other. Stator isn't likely to mess up your regulator but your regulator can mess up your stator.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
When you tried to jump it the first time, did it do anything ie power up but no spin or nothing at all ??.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.