VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a new 2016 Hammer a few months ago. The bike has always idled around 900 to 850 rpm when hot, and I had a single stall at a gas station back when the bike had less than 500 miles. A few weeks ago, I had a Stage 1 exhaust and air filter installed, and I took it to a Vic/Indian shop to have the re-tune installed. The bike ran better after that and I noticed that my idle was now smooth and 50 rpms higher. Wonderful. Then, after about a week I noticed that my idle was back to "normal", which means it's back to being 900 to 850 rpm (according to the digital instrument) and not quite as smooth as right after the re-tune.

The other day, about 8 miles from home, as I approached a stop sign and began to downshift the engine stalled. I coasted to a stop, turned off the key, back on and restarted the bike. I was so surprised and upset about this I ended up riding back home. Doing a search I found this:
http://www.thevog.net/threads/attention-stalling-issue.54218/page-20
Has this issue been solved? A modern fuel-injected engine should never stall. If I have another stall I'll call the shop that did the re-tune. Perhaps there is a trouble code from the first stall? Any info?

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but a fuel controller and dyno tune will definitely resolve all stalling issues on a Freedom 106. If you search the forum a bunch you'll see that the stalling issue is somewhat common when the bikes are new. Particularly for those that blip. A PC-5 and good dyno tune has resolved this issue for hundreds if not thousands of owners.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Yes stalling can be an issue.

First put a wrench on the battery terminals. Then check to make sure all the air hoses are in place.

Now what were you doing when it stalls?

Did you close the throttle when you pulled in on the clutch? Then as the RPMs were coming down start to open the throttle and it stalled.

Many here (as stated above) say that a proper dyno tune will cure this. However my top 4 guru PC-V dyno tuned Vision will stall by doing just that. Now it doesn't happen often paying attention. But a couple times a year it'll happen. Usually in a parking lot but it has happened coming up to a light. I've put 25 k on my Vision since tuned and maybe it's happened 10 times.

It's repeatable as I've been able to make it happen on purpose. Hold steady RPMs above 2k , close the throttle and just about the time it reaches idle open the throttle slightly and she'll cough and die.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
I agree a moder FI motor shouldn’t do this.
I had my tune and all better for over 6 yrs now.
Tune it. I know you shouldn’t have to but listen up.
Tuning it will :
Cure many problems the 106 inherently has.
It will run cooler
It will run stronger
It may actually get better mileage.

My friend with a spanking brand new XC no cams.
V&H slip ons
Lloydz filter
Maximus tuner
Kevin X Dyno tune.

His report back .......... wow. I now love my bike.
Smoother and more responsive. Definitely cooler running ( this bothered him most ) not even summer yet.
3rd and 4th hear and it comes alive.

So if your want to keep your bike and enjoy it more
( not turn around and ride back home )
Tune it. It was meant to be tuned. They all were.

Reactions: BoilerMan

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Altho my 2013 Cross Tour has not been tuned it did have the stall problem.
It was fixed by disconnecting the o2 sensors. On your bike you can't just unplug them but do a search to find out how.
Also installed a timing wheel kit & a Hi Flo air filter.

I'm not saying don't get a tune.
A proper controller & a tune is by far the best fix but if you are on a budget......

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Both my Vic's (13XC&16Vision) stalled on me with less than 4-500 mls on them, first thing I did was unhook the O2 sensor's and no more stalling. Remember that some 16's and then newer had different O2 connections and if you just unplugged them they would throw a code. After that initial step I since installed all the Lloydz regular goodies and a PCV then used a Auto-Tune on my Vision, lot better.
http://www.thevog.net/threads/why-did-i-wait-just-disconnected-my-o2-sensors.65921/
This may help.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Same thing I've been doing for 1,000 plus miles on this bike, and every other bike I've owned...which is to slighlty blip the throttle to rev-match my downshifts. Fortunately I was in an area of no traffic so it wasn't a safety issue, but I wouldn't want this to happen with vehicles behind me. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a fuel/air issue.

In regarding PCV, how does "auto-tune" work? Just a plug and play system? Sure seems to me that the Victory re-flash I had done should have remedied any fueling mapping issues. After the re-flash the bike ran better than it ever did, no popping, etc, and idled really smooth. Strange.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
In regarding PCV, how does "auto-tune" work? Just a plug and play system? Sure seems to me that the Victory re-flash I had done should have remedied any fueling mapping issues. After the re-flash the bike ran better than it ever did, no popping, etc, and idled really smooth. Strange.
I would first take it back and tell them the flash is not working, give them the chance to make good on their work. You can use the search feature and find a lot of reading on the PC-V with Auto-Tune. Also their are some other tuning options talked about on this site such as the Maximus which a lot of guy's like ect.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts

Same thing I've been doing for 1,000 plus miles on this bike, and every other bike I've owned...which is to slighlty blip the throttle to rev-match my downshifts. Fortunately I was in an area of no traffic so it wasn't a safety issue, but I wouldn't want this to happen with vehicles behind me. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a fuel/air issue.

In regarding PCV, how does "auto-tune" work? Just a plug and play system? Sure seems to me that the Victory re-flash I had done should have remedied any fueling mapping issues.
Vics don't take to blipping from closed throttle. Some are less forgiving than other. IMO it has something to do with the TPS.

Back in the day one of the "ten minute tune-up tricks " on the 5.0 EFI Mustang was to adjust the TPS to .98? (Not sure its been aalong time) For better throttle response. A lower number increases the response time from the ECM. So if my theory holds water . The engine doesn't get fuel in time to compensate for the extra air as the injectors are turned off for a time as the engine returns to idle. That's my .02

·
Registered
210 Posts
My 2012 Cross Country did this pretty bad . Especially when I would blip the throttle. I can say that with proper tuning it will go away. If you plan on keeping the bike and eventually adding performance parts I'd say go with Maximus . I wouldnt bother with a timing wheel or pcv . Do it once and do it right . You will notice a day and night difference with your bike being tuned without mods . Add mods and it will come alive and be that much better .

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
My 2010 XC had the problem and yes it would stall when NOT blipping the throttle. Pull in the clutch, come to a stop and STALL. A good tuner and tune is the solution. I would go with a Maximus if it were me. It comes with a "stage 1" tune that should suit you well, a Dyno tune would be even better.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks...went for an extended ride today and no issues. Will see how it goes...any more stalls I will take it back and make sure the tune is good. Hopefully so, since I wouldn't want the bike to be running on the stock non-stage 1 tune. Comparing how the bike ran taking it to the shop for the re-flash, vs after the tune it would seem that the re-flash is in memory. And if stalling becomes a bigger issue, then yeah a tuner is in order.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Don"t blip the throttle and it won"t stall.

·
Registered
102 Posts
One more possible solution could be a dirty IAC valve.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My 2010 XC had the problem and yes it would stall when NOT blipping the throttle. Pull in the clutch, come to a stop and STALL. A good tuner and tune is the solution. I would go with a Maximus if it were me. It comes with a "stage 1" tune that should suit you well, a Dyno tune would be even better.
A stage one tune is a bandaid - they are generic. All bikes are different and need specific tunes. It is a waste of time in my opinion. But, it will get you going....if you're into that sort of thing. If you're going to do it, do it right and get a remote tune to go with your Maximus, ALWAYS!

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
A stage one tune is a bandaid - they are generic. All bikes are different and need specific tunes. It is a waste of time in my opinion. But, it will get you going....if you're into that sort of thing. If you're going to do it, do it right and get a remote tune to go with your Maximus, ALWAYS!
The stage 1 OEM flash tune is garbage. The stage 1 Maximus tune is Much better. As I said a Dyno tune with the Maximus or another "good" tuner is best. The remote tunes seem to be fine as well, just another road to get to the same destination. It is nice to have the graph and proof positive with the Dyno tune.

• Angry
Reactions: Leroy Brown

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
The stage 1 OEM flash tune is garbage. The stage 1 Maximus tune is Much better. As I said a Dyno tune with the Maximus or another "good" tuner is best. The remote tunes seem to be fine as well, just another road to get to the same destination. It is nice to have the graph and proof positive with the Dyno tune.
@Leroy Brown what is it you disagree with here?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ride my Hammer almost every day. And I blip the throttle on every down-shift, and I haven't had any other issues. I don't know what caused the stall that occurred back when I generated this thread, but it hasn't happened since. As far as the stage-1 tune, I'm happy with it. Bike runs very strong and gas mileage seems ok.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
You got lucky. It may happen again. The hammer or any 106 for that matter is a good strong mill. There is a lot of room though for improvement. You can look at my signature and see as well as others. Money well spent. Expensive tune but that money is gone and now those of us that have done the performance upgrades are just enjoying the miles of smiles. The benefit besides more power is a more responsive throttle and a much cooler running 106.
Gas mileage can be improved as well but in my case it’s about the same. Probably because I like a little more throttle now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.