VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted information about the squeel/whine/chirp that I am getting from my 2006 victory vegas. To start off with a little history, when I purchased my motorcycle I got it lowered by using a rear shock from a victory vegas low. This was suppose to be better than the lowering links that you can buy. When I hit a bump or have a passenger I notice the belt making noises, which my dealer said was from the belt being too tight. I had them adjust the belt and that did not help, in fact it made the belt bang up against the belt guard ever once in a while. After further inspection I found out that the drive belt cover was the problem. The belt was so close to the first bolt boss that when the shock depressed it created the noise, which was the belt rubbing. I removed the cover and took pictures to show everyone. because the pics are too large I placed them in the gallery under belt cover, there should be a total of 5 of them. The first one you can see where it is rubbing. The other ones are from when I removed it and took pictures of the build up of rubber on the boss and the missing chrome that wore down. You can also see rubber particles on the inside of the cover. I hope this helps some people that have the same problem I have

·
Registered
814 Posts

This is a great post and thanks for sharing.
Was there any tell tale signs of rubbing on the outside of the belt that may have indicated a clearance problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy, thanks for posting the pics. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to post them. I am bringing the cover down to the machine shop at work today and seeing if they can mill down the boss, maybe even remove it. When I get it back I will post some more pics (or maybe Andy will post them for me....hahaha) and let you know how it worked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't really find any evidence of belt wear other than a stip on top of the belt that seemed to be discolored slightly (it basically looked clean compared to the rest of the belt). It just took me a while to find the issue, I don't think there was any real damage to the belt. The pics above show the wear with 1900 miles on the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had some material removed using a milling machine. The we used a file to smooth the edges. I'll give it a shot this weekend and see how it works. Below are the pics

http://thevog.net/file/pic/gallery/6410_view.jpg

http://thevog.net/file/pic/gallery/6411_view.jpg

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
MPT, I just looked at the milling they did on the cover. It looks good but is it enough? With such an abrupt end if it still rubs it will really hurt the belt now. A little taper at the end might be in order. You can probably even do it yourself with a file.
Just an idea.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
rocketman37 said:
OneThumb said:
I believe that problem has been corrected. they redesigned the cover. In 07 or 08 the change was made.
OT
I have an 08 Vegas Low. I have the same problem. The belt has been adjusted numerous times. No help. It drives me nuts!
Have you had your cover off to see if the beltis actually rubbing it? There are some issues with the rear pulley that causes chirps too.
OT

·
Registered
75 Posts
OneThumb said:
rocketman37 said:
OneThumb said:
I believe that problem has been corrected. they redesigned the cover. In 07 or 08 the change was made.
OT
I have an 08 Vegas Low. I have the same problem. The belt has been adjusted numerous times. No help. It drives me nuts!
Have you had your cover off to see if the beltis actually rubbing it? There are some issues with the rear pulley that causes chirps too.
OT
That's my next step. Can you take the cover off without taking the pipes off?

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
rocketman37 said:
OneThumb said:
rocketman37 said:
OneThumb said:
OT
OT
That's my next step. Can you take the cover off without taking the pipes off?
Sorry, That's one I can't answer, contact the author of this thread, it looks like he's been there, done that. LOL
OT

·
Registered
75 Posts

mpt5656 said:
I have posted information about the squeel/whine/chirp that I am getting from my 2006 victory vegas. To start off with a little history, when I purchased my motorcycle I got it lowered by using a rear shock from a victory vegas low. This was suppose to be better than the lowering links that you can buy. When I hit a bump or have a passenger I notice the belt making noises, which my dealer said was from the belt being too tight. I had them adjust the belt and that did not help, in fact it made the belt bang up against the belt guard ever once in a while. After further inspection I found out that the drive belt cover was the problem. The belt was so close to the first bolt boss that when the shock depressed it created the noise, which was the belt rubbing. I removed the cover and took pictures to show everyone. because the pics are too large I placed them in the gallery under belt cover, there should be a total of 5 of them. The first one you can see where it is rubbing. The other ones are from when I removed it and took pictures of the build up of rubber on the boss and the missing chrome that wore down. You can also see rubber particles on the inside of the cover. I hope this helps some people that have the same problem I have
Did you have to take the pipes off to remove the cover?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is probably different but on my Vegas I need to find the "sweet" spot or the belt chirps. Easy to do on the stand. Turn the rear wheel by hand and adjust until it stops making the chirping sound. It is very close to being in perfect alignment. I think my main problem is the chrome pully is sensitive to making noise. The dealers fix was to spray the belt with soapy water!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rocketman- I did not remove my pipes to get the cover off. Although, I have some aftermarket pipes on my bike. I had to remove the bolts that mount the end of the pipes to the frame and pull them away to remove the cover. I think I may need to remove the pipes to get it back on. The main reason being the gasket that is between the drive body and the cover.

Club Ford- After the part was milled, my friend took a file and ground down the edges. So there are no sharp edges on the new area. I will probably take you advice and file down the edges some more.

I will get back to everyone to let you know how it works. I am most likey going to be installing it this morning and take it for a ride today. Thanks for all the feedback

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, So below are my pics of the milling job (seeing as I know how topost pics now). Even though all edges were smooth, I took a file andtook down the leading edge so it would not harm the belt. I am notsure how much clearance I had before, but it couldn't have been morethan an 1/8". Now when I measure it I am getting approx 3/8"clearance. Can someone tell me what the have for clearance on their'06 vegas from top of the belt to the boss on the cover. I amwondering if I am close to the original dimension.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.